Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there any way to make procedurally generated beasts capturable?  (Read 1880 times)

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile

I'm trying to find a way to make procedurally generated beasts such as titans and forgotten beasts able to be captured by cages and such, but what I've researched looks like there's not an easy or known way to do it because the tags are hard-coded into the world data.

I know you can make uncompressed worlds and just remove the [TRAPAVOID] tags but doing that crashes Dwarf Fortress for me. I've tried it with a Hex Editor and Notepad++ but neither work.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try? Or is it just impossible?
However, now I wanted some more challenge and embarked to evil biome.
"Terrifying screams come from above!"

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to make procedurally generated beasts capturable?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »

I'm not sure if it still works for the latest version, but in previous versions if you could knock ANYTHING unconscious (usually via controlled cave-ins), and there were cage traps in its tile, it would capture it. Thus you could get trapavoid creatures, other dwarves, etc moderately easily.

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 02:55:09 pm »

I'm not sure if it still works for the latest version, but in previous versions if you could knock ANYTHING unconscious (usually via controlled cave-ins), and there were cage traps in its tile, it would capture it. Thus you could get trapavoid creatures, other dwarves, etc moderately easily.

Ooh, I forgot about that. I'll have to try that, but is there any way to make them naturally be capturable?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:56:17 pm »

Webs will also work to make cage traps catch anything as well.

As for the editing, are you opening up the world.dat file and editing it in there? Since that's the only way that I know of to edit randomly generated creatures.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:01:09 pm »

Webs will also work to make cage traps catch anything as well.

As for the editing, are you opening up the world.dat file and editing it in there? Since that's the only way that I know of to edit randomly generated creatures.

Thank you,

and Yes.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 03:15:10 pm »

Cave-ins won't incapacitate creatures with [NOSTUN], as seen in this movie from 40d (where the trick that normally works to capture frog demons and tentacle demons was demonstrated to be totally ineffective against spirits of fire), and all procedurally-generated creatures in 0.31.xx have [NOSTUN].
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »

Are there any other ideas of what you could do to make it possible?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:05:45 pm »

As far as I know, no. You can stun them with cave-ins (excluding the ones with NO_STUN), or web them (either GCS or modding a pet to shoot the stuff, like dogs).
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:40:31 pm »

idea, meph's masterwork DF mod has a creature that webs stuff. adding a similar creature to your game would allow you to create traps to catch procedurally genned monsters.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:20:51 am »

cage traps with webs over the catch everything. as far as i know. jsut trap a GCS and make a web grinder beside yoru entrance and disable it when your dwarfs go through.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 01:37:42 pm »

cage traps with webs over the catch everything. as far as i know. jsut trap a GCS and make a web grinder beside yoru entrance and disable it when your dwarfs go through.
You are going to want a separate entrance for your dwarves then, since else wise they will be caught even though you stopped the web grinder since the webs will still be there.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 02:05:59 pm »

raising bridges work well for that. building destroyers cant ruin them. one entrance for monsters you want to enter the other for dwarfs only, a lever each.  be sure to close the dwarf entrance and burrow the dwarfs so they don't use the other passage.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 03:36:33 pm »

Just found this thread due to the mentioning of my mod...

Wanted to say that I have several webbing creatures, and another way to catch trapavoids: The dust landmines do use cave-in dust as weapon, pushing creatures into cages. Works as well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 03:54:51 pm »

Problem is megabeasts are [NOSTUN] now.stunnign was the only way before to put them in traps. webbed is another status alignment that can put them in trap. but i expect toadys going to fix it soon.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 03:58:25 pm »

I know you can make uncompressed worlds and just remove the [TRAPAVOID] tags but doing that crashes Dwarf Fortress for me. I've tried it with a Hex Editor and Notepad++ but neither work.

It's probably crashing the game because by simply removing the tag you are changing the length of the file, screwing up the structure and indexes which the game uses to find where everything is.  What you want to do is disable the [TRAPAVOID] tag without changing the file length.  Do a hex search and replace of [TRAPAVOID] with [XXXXXXXXX] or a similar garbage tag of the same length and it should work.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2