Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some defense questions.  (Read 535 times)

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some defense questions.
« on: January 24, 2012, 01:12:56 pm »

So i pretty much got all of the stuff to make one big happy (and rich) dwarf family. It is just a matter of time before i'm getting sieged. I have read a lot and made some awesome walls with ballista's and crossbow platforms.

I might have some flaws and questions though.

1. I have a wall over a brook, can enemies or other nasties get underneath it? If so, how to solve this, i like having water where my dwarfs are save so if it's not possible to enclose a brook i should probably get into building a well.

2. Do catapults need fortifications to shoot or can/will they shoot over my walls at the enemy. What about behind raised bridge?

3. I have read walls are indestructible, so if i have everything to keep my dwarves happy all walled in there is no threat (and no fun :D)? or can the enemy climb walls/build ramps or have other measures to circumvent my walls? Since a raised bridge creates a wall at the pivot my fortress would be already save... is this assumption correct?

4. I currently have a N and S exit from my walls, does this have disadvantages for a siege, will the enemy split up and attack both of my entrances, so in this case i have to split up my army too.

Well thats it for now, thanks.

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some defense questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:19:31 pm »

Currently enemies annot climb or destroy walls. They also cannot build ramps or other stuff like that.

Enemies will take the shortest route to your fortress so is they appear on opposite sides of the map they will take opposite entrances.

Some enimies can go through water but I don;t know how common they are in unmodded Dwarf Fortrtess. I always build a tunnel leading to water with a fortification to prevent most things getting through and a flood gate that I can open and close when I want to be sure nothing (like forgotten beasts made from water) can get through.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:38:28 pm »

1. Brooks are treated as solid surfaces, so amphibious nasties won't swim under your walls.

2. Catapults will not fire across z-levels. You'll need either fortifications or a very wide moat. Then again, IIRC they have a minimum range, so a ~30 tile moat that will both keep your dwarves out of arrow range and let them shoot at anything on the far side might be worth it.

3. There is nothing that can destroy a constructed wall other than collapsing it or telling your dwarves to deconstruct it.

4. Enemy forces will invade by whichever route is shortest, and I believe they spawn in random positions on the edge of the map. If you want to avoid splitting up your army to protect both gates, you can just seal one off by raising a drawbridge.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:53:43 pm »

2. Catapults will not fire across z-levels. You'll need either fortifications or a very wide moat. Then again, IIRC they have a minimum range, so a ~30 tile moat that will both keep your dwarves out of arrow range and let them shoot at anything on the far side might be worth it.
It's not so much that they have a minimum range, rather it's that the civilian operators freak out and run away when an enemy gets too close.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:20:39 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:50:48 pm »

Goblins quite often ride cave crocodiles. These swim and will take their riders with them. If the goblins don't drown, like if it's a short swim, you'll have a cave croc inside your walls. Unless it's the leader of the squad, then everyone stays there. If there are multiple goblins mounted on crocs, you might end up with 5 or 6 or more enemies inside your walls, with or without riders. fortifications submerged in 7/7 water let swimming enemies pass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 04:20:23 pm »

Goblins quite often ride cave crocodiles. These swim and will take their riders with them. If the goblins don't drown, like if it's a short swim, you'll have a cave croc inside your walls. Unless it's the leader of the squad, then everyone stays there. If there are multiple goblins mounted on crocs, you might end up with 5 or 6 or more enemies inside your walls, with or without riders. fortifications submerged in 7/7 water let swimming enemies pass
Except that in this it's a brook which means that even if they can swim they can't get through unless you've channeled out the brook surface.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 04:33:52 pm »

And dug out underneath - the inside of a brook counts as a solid tile too IIRC.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 05:36:04 pm »

And dug out underneath - the inside of a brook counts as a solid tile too IIRC.

no, just the surface
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.