Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A bad omen for my fortress.  (Read 2301 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
A bad omen for my fortress.
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:08:43 am »

I believe that I am going to have a lot of Fun soon, you see, everything is going right. Almost all of my dwarves are ecstatic, (if not, quite content) we recently warded off a goblin ambush with no losses (except for a cat. big deal) and In the middle of the sneak attack, the cage traps in my caves caught 1 cave alligator, 2 Dralthas, and 1 giant rat. I don't have a dungeon master yet, but when I get one this will be fun. (the not dying kind [for me anyway]) as well as this, my steel industry is kicking off in full throttle and I have not yet lost a foreign nation caravan.

Now, there is one problem.

Deep in the caverns of my fortress there is "Bax" the forgotten beast. It is literally a blob of living fire (with a stubby tail) which runs rampant in this cave system deep below my fortress, burning everything in that cave. I believe it also has some sort of poison. This is the first forgotten beast I've ever seen, how should i deal with this?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: A bad omen for my fortress.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:12:57 am »

First:  you will never get a dungeon master.  They never show up in the current version, unless you've modded the raws to make him manually appointed.

Forgotten beasts made a fire are physically very fragile.  A single good hit will smash it apart.  The danger is that it sets everything around itself on fire, and also will explode in a ball of fire when killed.  Best bet is to use ranged weapons to kill it from a distance.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:25:38 am »

Thanks for the heads up on the dungeon master, now I can throw the creatures into my death pit for meat. 

And the forgotten beast, thanks for the heads up, I'll just make a few holes in the cave ceiling and shoot at it from there, then let it's body fester for a bit if anything is left behind from the fire burst.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:42:49 am »

...we recently warded off a goblin ambush with no losses (except for a cat. big deal)...

Loss?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:44:01 am »

err, i mean deaths.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:46:19 am »

I meant for the cat. Cats are creatures forbidden by Armok to live. They should be killed, butchered and cooked, then fed to prisoner goblins (elves are fed other elves).
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 11:40:46 am »

Thanks for the heads up on the dungeon master, now I can throw the creatures into my death pit for meat. 

Noooo, just mod the raws so they are trainable.  Save and exit the game.  Look under the raw/objects/ in your savegame.  Search for the appropriate entries.  Change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET][TRAINABLE].  Reload your fort.  Now those animals will be tamable and trainable as war animals.  War cave crocs are pretty brutal.   

Dralthas are pretty much food items though, but if you've got a breeding pair, go ahead and let them breed like mad, and train them up and use them for cannon fodder.  If nothing else, a goblin shooting at a draltha is better than a goblin shooting at one of your military dorfs.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:56:21 am »

Noooo, just mod the raws so they are trainable.  Save and exit the game.  Look under the raw/objects/ in your savegame.  Search for the appropriate entries.  Change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET][TRAINABLE].  Reload your fort.  Now those animals will be tamable and trainable as war animals.  War cave crocs are pretty brutal.   

Dralthas are pretty much food items though, but if you've got a breeding pair, go ahead and let them breed like mad, and train them up and use them for cannon fodder.  If nothing else, a goblin shooting at a draltha is better than a goblin shooting at one of your military dorfs.
IIRC, just [PET] should be enough. [PET][TRAINABLE] is for training pets into war pets and hunting pets...but I think there's more to this.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 12:00:58 pm »

If you just wanted to tame them [PET] is sufficient.  If you want to be able to train them as war/hunting, you need to add the [TRAINABLE] tag as well.

[CAN_LEARN] (I believe that is the correct tag) might be useful since that will let them gain xp in various skills like biting or scratching or whatever their natural attack types are.  This makes them slightly less cannon-fodder-ish and lets a successful war animal turn into a true killing machine.
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:19:19 pm »

Deep in the caverns of my fortress there is "Bax" the forgotten beast. It is literally a blob of living fire (with a stubby tail) which runs rampant in this cave system deep below my fortress, burning everything in that cave. I believe it also has some sort of poison. This is the first forgotten beast I've ever seen, how should i deal with this?
sadly, the fact that he's made of fire means it doesn't really matter what you send after him, they're probably going to get seriously burned, but they WILL kill it. Whatever ya send, dont send too many...
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:27:07 pm »

sadly, the fact that he's made of fire means it doesn't really matter what you send after him, they're probably going to get seriously burned, but they WILL kill it. Whatever ya send, dont send too many...
Urist McCheesemaker comes to mind...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »

Send Rovod McBaron.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »

About creature files, how do I edit them for this to happen? (like, where do I put the words, and where do i go to edit them.)

On another note, regarding Bax...

*Splash!* *fizzle fizzle fizzle* *STEEEEEAAAAAMMMM* Swimming happily, draining the water supply for my undercity.

My undercity is a "second fortress" I'm making which is about 60 Z-levels deep.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:36:00 pm by exolyx »

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 01:43:18 pm »

About creature files, how do I edit them for this to happen? (like, where do I put the words, and where do i go to edit them.)

If you're running windows, just use notepad or any other text editor.  You'll have to search those .txt files for the specific creatures.  Once you find the right section for that creature, you'll see [PET_EXOTIC].  Replace that line with [PET][TRAINABLE], save the file and load your savegame.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Modding  is a good place to learn about how to mod the raw files like this.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 01:49:20 pm »

the closest ive ever come to a single FB killing my fort was cause of fire. Damn thing set fire to my entire farm and pasture area, but not before evaporating all the water out of my cistern.

we killed it pretty easily, but alot of dwarves starved and tantrumed.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: [1] 2