Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Simplification mod?  (Read 3230 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
Simplification mod?
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:58:32 am »

Is there a mod that simply... removes things? I've been trying to find a mod that only cut down on the sheer number of extra things like types of useless stone and useless trees and things like toes and teeth, but every mod I've managed to find has these changes thrown in with a million others that make it hard to drag into an otherwise-vanilla game. Anything like that out there? My knowledge isn't that great otherwise I'd just make one myself.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Simplification mod?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:12 am »

|
|
|
|
|
v
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:13:34 am »

No.  As far as I know, there are no mods that aim to simplify and remove variety from the game - even though there are a multitude of prepacked DF variations available (such as the one suggested above), they do not address your concern directly.

My suggestion would be to either do it yourself (as much as I am loath to say it), or pitch it to an appropriately enthusiastic modder to be addressed.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:24:44 am »

As far as I know, there are no mods that aim to simplify and remove variety from the game - even though there are a multitude of prepacked DF variations available (such as the one suggested above), they do not address your concern directly.
My mod doesnt qualify? You cant be serious O_O; Its raw, the sum of all variety folder AND extra graphics support combined, is still roughly the size of vanilla RAW.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:56 am »

As far as I know, there are no mods that aim to simplify and remove variety from the game - even though there are a multitude of prepacked DF variations available (such as the one suggested above), they do not address your concern directly.
My mod doesnt qualify? You cant be serious O_O; Its raw, the sum of all variety folder AND extra graphics support combined, is still roughly the size of vanilla RAW.

By my understanding, he wants no extra functionality to the game - in fact, he wants portions removed from it.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:35:11 am »

Yea I haven't really acually seen a "Simple DF" mod, they all seem to have something new.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:36:58 am »

By my understanding, he wants no extra functionality to the game - in fact, he wants portions removed from it.

What he want:
Is there a mod that simply... removes things? I've been trying to find a mod that only cut down on the sheer number of extra things like types of useless stone and useless trees and things like toes and teeth, but every mod I've managed to find has these changes thrown in with a million others that make it hard to drag into an otherwise-vanilla game.

What I have:
Less for more
There are many types in the games that are functionally identical barring name. Stratergic removal of most these duplicates noticeably improve FPS. Thus, a great deal of less interesting gems, metals, alloys, stones, soils, crafts, plants, creatures, vermins and body parts have been removed. They wont be missed. As a side effect, the game seem to gain some FPS with less object types to be tracked.

Tallow removed. All reactions which supposedly use tallow now use fat directly.
Pig iron removed. Iron can be smelted into steel directly.

And hmm I should add that all grasses are removed also.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:42:20 am »

I'm actually downloading your mod right now, rephikul! Hoping that it's a bit more modular than most Incredibly Hooge Mods I've seen, since most of them have stuff thrown everywhere which makes it damned impossible to grab the parts I want without going crazy trying to ensure the rest is vanilla.

I'm pretty much just trying to get a purely vanilla game with less clutter. So more or less a bugfixing and FPS-increasing mod.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 10:44:36 am »

I'm actually downloading your mod right now, rephikul! Hoping that it's a bit more modular than most Incredibly Hooge Mods I've seen, since most of them have stuff thrown everywhere which makes it damned impossible to grab the parts I want without going crazy trying to ensure the rest is vanilla.

I'm pretty much just trying to get a purely vanilla game with less clutter. So more or less a bugfixing and FPS-increasing mod.

Getting rid of clothing does wonders there. :)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:47:23 am »

I'm sure I've seen some simplifying mod which does just that and nothing else. I haven't found it despite furious searching. :(
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:52:48 am »

I see, then make sure you delete the 2 files below after installing and when you embark make sure you bring moldy stones for brewing. The rest you can pick up as you play.
+ entity_fdchallenge.txt
+ entity_fortdefense.txt

Alternatively, If I'm not mistaken, the masterwork mod can be set to bugfix/remove stuff only but I have never actually played it...

I'm sure I've seen some simplifying mod which does just that and nothing else. I haven't found it despite furious searching. :(
I've been constantly asked to make a "just simpler" version of my mod but I cannot tell what's "just simple" myself. For instant, some have told me they like the make-block-color-of-choise reactions, which's clearly an addition, in their "simpler only" posts. I think they dont want a simple-only mod, they want a megaproject building oriented mod which I dont know how to make myself.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:56:14 am by rephikul »

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 11:03:14 am »

No offense to the creator of the Masterwork mod, but I've found yours to be a helluva lot easier to dig through and pull out files to throw into vanilla DF. The Masterwork creator has a slight problem of throwing modded stuff into otherwise vanilla files..

What I think people want, is compartmentalization. Like a couple of seperate mods. One that removes extra creatures, one that removes extra stone, one that adds in the colored block reaction, etc. I love mods like yours because they're filled with great stuff, but sometimes there's things I don't like that it's hard to find to change!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:16:57 am »

What I think people want, is compartmentalization. Like a couple of seperate mods. One that removes extra creatures, one that removes extra stone, one that adds in the colored block reaction, etc. I love mods like yours because they're filled with great stuff, but sometimes there's things I don't like that it's hard to find to change!
Hmm I think you have just given me the idea for the greatest mod customizing capability ever but I'd research abit more about this before talking. If I conclude that it'd work (and would be realistically realizable) I'd throw you a PM or something.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 02:38:36 pm »

I was working on a mod like this as far back as early 3D and never got around to finishing it, largely because removing some things would screw up the game (plants in particular seemed to mess up river biomes). If enough people are interested I could easily revive it for the latest version.

Essentially it greatly simplifies everything down to a very basic pack: you have 'stone' for all types of stone, 5 different types of basic metal (iron, gold, silver, copper, steel), a small handful of basic gemstones, and some generic animals and monsters. It also gets rid of clothes and a few other superfluous things. My intention was essentially to get back to the very basics, such as what we had in 2D.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 02:45:56 pm »

I was working on a mod like this as far back as early 3D and never got around to finishing it, largely because removing some things would screw up the game (plants in particular seemed to mess up river biomes). If enough people are interested I could easily revive it for the latest version.

Essentially it greatly simplifies everything down to a very basic pack: you have 'stone' for all types of stone, 5 different types of basic metal (iron, gold, silver, copper, steel), a small handful of basic gemstones, and some generic animals and monsters. It also gets rid of clothes and a few other superfluous things. My intention was essentially to get back to the very basics, such as what we had in 2D.

Haha, wow. I wasn't planning on removing that much, but I imagine plenty of people would love a return to the very basic stuff. Maybe not removing -all- of the plants, though.
Pages: [1] 2