Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Techniques for capturing magma dwelling creatures?  (Read 875 times)

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Techniques for capturing magma dwelling creatures?
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:58:07 am »

I've been trying to capture some magma creatures, just for the fun of it, but I can't seem to coax them up out of the magma and into my cage traps. I've seen them come out of the magma before, especially when I DON'T want them to, but rarely so and never when it is convenient for me. Does anyone have good strategies for capturing these interesting creatures?

If anyone happens to know a good way to cage trap aquatic creatures, please feel free to share that as well.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Techniques for capturing magma dwelling creatures?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:10:48 am »

Trapping aquatic creatures, that I have done, and I expect that many of the techniques could be applied to magma creatures.

So far, the only thing I've tried has been through building a room full of cage traps and then connecting it to the magma sea.  It has not been very reliable.  I have been considering making a room that I can flood full of magma and connect to the magma sea, then after something is captured seal off and drain the magma out of.  That will require magma-proof cage traps and cages, which is tricky since you can't tell your dwarves which cages to use to load a cage trap with.

Part of the problem is that the magma creatures don't seem to swim around in schools like the sea creatures do.  Mostly they seem to sit in place or move around a few tiles at a time.  You have to hope they randomly decide to wander over to your cage traps.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:41 am »

Chaining a small, furry animal behind the cage traps might speed this up.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:08:50 am »

Chaining a small, furry animal behind the cage traps might speed this up.

Or slow it down, depending on what creature you're trying to catch.  Most wild animals will avoid tame creatures and will be scared away instead of lured in.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:03:25 am »

tying a small furry animal behind the magma proof cages with the magma proof mechanisms when you let the magma in will result in magma roast puppy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Fusty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 01:58:35 pm »

That will require magma-proof cage traps and cages, which is tricky since you can't tell your dwarves which cages to use to load a cage trap with.

Just go into your stocks menu and forbid all non-magma-safe cages and mechanisms.  That's what I do when building pump-stacks, so I assume it'd work for this.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:13:19 pm »

tying a small furry animal behind the magma proof cages with the magma proof mechanisms when you let the magma in will result in magma roast puppy

Glass is inexplicably magmaproof and creatures still react if they see eachother through glass windows. Some desirable magma-dwellers will react positively to the window itself.

In fact, most of them react so positively to buildings and puppies that they will crawl up out of the magma to reach them with little or no prodding! I can't work out an efficient way to capture magma crabs, but everything else is aggressive and conveniently amphibious.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.