Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scepters and chains - good weapons?  (Read 8398 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Scepters and chains - good weapons?
« on: January 24, 2012, 05:25:23 am »

So, after delivering some mayhem with a rope reed rope, I got interested in replacing whips and warhammers with chains and scepters for adventure mode use. Do you know if they specifically are any good? Does anyone have any new science on what makes a great misc. weapon?

Apparently, if the wiki is to believe, both can be noticeably heavier than the weapons they're replacing there. Namely, the scepter is 7.5 times as heavy as a warhammer of the same material (?) and can be made of heavier materials, and the chain is 50 times as heavy as a whip.

So far, I've only gotten my hands on a -native gold scepter-, which weighed in at 63 I think. That thing was awesome, not once did it not bruise an internal organ (including the heart) or shatter a bone when it hit. Too bad I died soon after.

I can't seem to figure out where, if anywhere, they are in the raws to see the details, so I'll be making a fortress to make heavily decorated *platinum sceptres* and *rose gold chains* specifically for adventurer weapon use, or better yet, artifact versions, to try them out. Obviously they likely won't be as good as monomolecular whips, vorpal boning knives of severing or plasma picks, but there's something about bashing your enemy's head in with glorious gold regalia. Preferably while wearing gem-encrusted plate, a crown and a heavy shield.

On another topic, great thanks to whoever first suggested dual-wielding enemy hands/claws/paws in your hands. Makes me feel like I'm some sort of druid shapeshifter growing stronger with every kill.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scepters and chains - good weapons?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:12:05 am »

How do we get our hands on Scepters?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:56:49 pm »

How do we get our hands on Scepters?

Shops, retired adventurers and abandoned forts.

Personally, in my opinion doors make excellent weapons.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:39:37 pm »

Shops, retired adventurers and abandoned forts.

Personally, in my opinion doors make excellent weapons.

Just to clarify, most sceptres the shops sell are kind of useless though as the +pig hoof sceptres+ (why would you even...) they like to sell weigh next to nothing. Look before buying.

Although I guess weight is not the only factor to consider at all, lead cages are surprisingly enough not the smashiest weapons around. Will need to make from lots of materials for testing, but well, fort had a bad encounter with a forgotten real life monster and takes time to recover.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:31:48 am »

I'd like to see someone use iron chairs as part of his weaponry, wearing nothing but a mask and a pair of undies and wrestling his opponents to death.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:21:39 pm »

I think any scepter is good if you use it to bonk people on the head or eyelid/cheek/tooth before you kill them, as a reprimand.

I'd like to see someone use iron chairs as part of his weaponry, wearing nothing but a mask and a pair of undies and wrestling his opponents to death.

You could set up a tag team with some unarmed peasant, or maybe a bandit wrestler. Show your enemies the True Meaning of Wrestling by kicking them in the torso until their liver bursts, then give'em the chair. Or have your tag team partner lock them in a bite, then give'em the chair.

You might want leather high boots so you can benefit from Armor User, and a buckler so you don't get shot in the pancreas and killed all the time.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 07:16:13 am »

I found a platinum scepter once. It was heavy as hell but still made a disappointingly terrible weapon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 08:34:01 am »

Scepters and Chains are probably some of the few ordinary objects I think should be given some weapon stats.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:56:03 am »

I found a platinum scepter once. It was heavy as hell but still made a disappointingly terrible weapon.
You need to level Misc. Object User up a little first.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:32:00 pm »

Well, I now have a fort full of quality scepters and chains of various stones and metals, unfortunately didn't do it carefully enough to secure platinum so native/rose gold being the heaviest. So far they seem like good, usable but unexceptional weapons.

How to go about systematically testing these?

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 07:38:23 pm »

Well, I now have a fort full of quality scepters and chains of various stones and metals, unfortunately didn't do it carefully enough to secure platinum so native/rose gold being the heaviest. So far they seem like good, usable but unexceptional weapons.

How to go about systematically testing these?

For each material / weapon combination, note the wound effects from varying aimed-attack hit-probabilities for varying skill level.

So set up a table like (I forget what the 'red' likelihood is called)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then fill in whatever the 'wound' is returned. (skin bruise / fat bruise / muscle bruise / bone bruise / bone break ).

Repeat for each skill level, up to legendary, for each material you'd like to test.

That's how you would gather data for chains / scepters. You could compare these against data for chains / maces / hammers, and report the most frequent wound for each item, and the number of overall bone breaks for each item, and any other special conditions like the bone breaks grouped by item / skill level.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 04:16:07 am »

I did! In fact, I started with several points in MOU and it still sucked.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 06:42:02 pm »

I did! In fact, I started with several points in MOU and it still sucked.

Define sucked. With some adventuring, and master in MOU, native gold scepter is pretty much insta-kills if struck head well. Then and again, I can't say for sure a bed wouldn't be, too limited exp. of the game. And stone is less elastic than metal. For sure it is better than some weapons, but but...

Have to see if I get around to doing the woods' suggestion. Which was wonderful all round, and great thanks, but it may not be worth the time investment after all.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 06:35:03 am »

Define sucked. With some adventuring, and master in MOU, native gold scepter is pretty much insta-kills if struck head well. Then and again, I can't say for sure a bed wouldn't be, too limited exp. of the game. And stone is less elastic than metal. For sure it is better than some weapons, but but...

Have to see if I get around to doing the woods' suggestion. Which was wonderful all round, and great thanks, but it may not be worth the time investment after all.

It wasn't the insta-killa that I expected it to be. Most enemies took several hits to the head to die and it slowed me down considerably. All in all it felt like my Misc.-Object-User was better off when he was still just using an iron shield.

But now that I think about it, it might have been a native platinum scepter. Still extremely heavy though.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 06:41:43 am »

Native platinum scepters should be even more powerful.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: [1] 2