Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Hunting Dog From Krypton  (Read 4358 times)

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
The Hunting Dog From Krypton
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:17:43 pm »

So, I had a Hunter from the start of my fortress, and I later gave him a hunting dog. I was in a desert biome, so he hunted Camels (Though his first actual kill was a leopard, I was actually pretty proud of him, especially when he used his bones as ammo). Eventually, I stopped watching him, though with SoundSense I heard the Camels getting hit (and sometimes even vomiting). I had dug out to the caverns below beforehand. I did not think that my hunter would actually hunt in the Caverns. I was minding my own business, when I see the message "Terkiey BlahBlahBlah has died, or whatever"
So naturally, I was worried. I thought he had gotten bucked in the brain or something. I zoomed to his (final) location, and found out he had tried to take on a cave crocodile. What a dumbass. Even worse, the hunting dog kept on fighting the damn thing, so I resumed game and watched the dog die. Except he didn't die. He was actually winning, somehow. He (or maybe Terkiey did) had somehow knocked the croc unconscious, and kept on latching on to its heads and tearing apart its scales. The crocodile never had any retaliations, other than bruising the dogs paw, mostly due to it being either unconscious or stunned. A good 20 minutes later, the damn thing finally died. The dog had gotten a name (The croc did too, for killing Terkiey) for it's revenge against the cave croc, and we feasted upon its supple meat. Around the beginning of the whole ordeal I wished the damn dog dead so maybe the croc could walk into my various cage traps, but man, was it a good laugh.
That dog is either the greatest strategist in Canine history, or one lucky sonuvabitch (Quite literally).
Anyone else have any things like this happen to them?

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunting Dog From Krypton
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:58 pm »

I once had an unarmed and freezing soapmaker who tore a yeti's head off when it ran up to maul him.

I've never had animals do anything really impressive, though.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:44:27 pm »

In my current fort I have two rows of bronze weapon traps in front of my main drawbridge.  Directly behind the drawbridge I have my war dog tied; she's my last line of defense.

During my first goblin siege the goblin commander, an elite spearman, made it past the traps and across the drawbridge just before the lockdown lever was pulled.  Needless to say, I completely expected my lone vanguard to be slaughtered with my precious civilians soon to follow while my 3 man militia all slept.

To my surprise, the dog bit the goblin's leg and held on tight until my militia commander woke up and beheaded him.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:24:32 am »

My dogs have [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:3] and some other natural skill I can't remember set to 2. They also have the ability to learn, and thus slowly gain experience in combat. I think it's just enough of an advantage to stop them from being little more than cannon fodder, without them being unrealistically overpowered.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:57:01 am »

I had a puppy take out a giant.  He dodged and struck back when caught in a cavern arena 20 z-levels about the ground.  The giant dodged and fell to his demise.  That puppy was a hero forever.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 03:12:08 am »

I've got a cage attached to a lever, with 6 elephants, 4 giant desert scorpions, 2 dragons, 50ish war dogs and a few rhinos, muskoxen, monkeys of various sorts, chickens and other miscellaneous animals. Running Meph's Masterwork (that's how I got most of the animals) and Fortress Defence, so any back up plan with this much balls should work in my favour.

Oh, at one point a had a solo legendary miner militia guy with 50 war dogs assigned to him. Took on entire siege on his own, with dogs stunlocking whole groups of enemies by latching on to them and wrestling them down. All the miner did was prance and skip around, stabbing everything in the face with his iron pick. Only a few dogs got injured, one died.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Kelenyche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 04:09:39 am »

One time, I accidentally both the forgotten beasts I was keeping locked out of my fort.  As they rampaged, I realized one was missing.  I checked the combat logs, to see what had happened, and my furnace operator had, "Punched it in the lower body, and the severed part flew off!"
And in my current fort, badgers ravaged my farmers early on. Go figure.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:31:05 am »

I had a Dwarven Child punch the brain out of a filthy troglodyte once.

The filthy trogs were coming up the stairs from the caverns, scaring dorfs left and right.  The child was going downstairs chasing after mommy or some stupid crap (I hate all those little item-claiming, booze-drinking, work-avoiding, fps-killing little brats) and a filthy trog decided to pick on him.  "The Dwarven Child punches the troglodyte in the head with his left hand, crushing the skull and driving it into the brain" was the single combat message.  I hated that child slightly less than the average after that.

Most of the war animals I have trained are fairly useless.  Although I do have two named War Magma Crabs now.  I managed to catch one in a trap (no I have no idea how that happened either) and she turned out to be a female.  I modded magma crabs to [PET][TRAINABLE] and let her breed.  They breed like crazy so I have about 50 of them now, all trained as War Magma Crabs.  I leave about half of them outside for siege defense/ambush detection, and the rest I keep inside for breeding.  One ambush got swarmed and the little suckers actually killed a couple of gobbos, getting names in the process.  I loled at the mental image of these goblins approaching my fort entrance and suddenly getting assaulted by these tiny little beasts spitting, pea-shooter style, blobs of molten basalt at them.  Then being surprised as crap when a couple of those little blobs punches someone's brain out.

Then there was the time I trained up a flock of War Bugbats... http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=97299.0
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:20:27 pm »

Urist McLegendaryHunterMarksdwarf had been shooting at an unconcious goblin for an hour, repeatedly smashing it's right and left arm. Then the goblin wakes up and actually flees, turning a corner and dodging bolts. Must be one tough cookie I thought, running with two badly mangled arms. Along comes Urist McSoapmaker, who took the goblin out with one punch through the head, shattering the skull, tearing the brain through an -iron helmet-. Urist McSoapmaker has 0 skill at striking
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Leif

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:17:54 pm »

I had a fortress awhile back, It was just after my first year when a dragon waltzed into the fort, as I wrote off my fortress and the dwarves within something amazing happened: The puppies, kittens and children that had been born/embarked with dogpiled this dragon. It killed more than a few but a kitten got a lucky hit on its eye before a child brained it with a dead puppy.
Indeed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 04:22:15 pm »

In my most recent fort, in a randomly genned world to show my friend the joys of clown cars, I was nearly stopped short of my goal by a wandering pack of 3 giant desert scorpions.

Chases after a woodcutter, then a turkey, right into my mechanic (who I walled out because he annoyed me). Mechanic drafted into military, chases GDS off the map, before the last one turns around and rips his head off. That turkey survived.

(Then I accidentally the flood with brook water and demons).

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 05:57:14 pm »

I have no great DF animal story, no.

... but in Neverwinter Nights, my character was killed by a chicken. He was actually attacked by everybody on the map (due to a loyalty cascade bug), but it was the chicken that finally got him.
Never pet a burning dog.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 06:35:42 pm »

Ahh, Neverwinter Nights.  I modded in "Light Chickens" and "Dark Chickens."  If you encountered one or the other, it would follow the first player character it saw for all of eternity.  That's pretty much it.  No party buffs or sneak attacks or anything.  Just an absolute, unwavering desire to follow its new master.  They would occur in small groups, so you had this little flock of chickens following you around.  Kinda cute.  Except two factions hated each other (think heavenly chickens and hell chickens) so if one of them saw its alignment opposite, they would fight to the death on sight. 

With massive, high-level, AOE spells and no regard for its new companions.

!!Fun!! was had by all. 

/derail

I've made exploding cats in DF also.  Not your typical "turn their temperature up real high so they explode" oh no.  I modded in a tissue layer below the skin that had an evaporative temperature lower than the surrounding temp and carried a syndrome.  I'd leave them out as bait and a goblin ambush would rush up and slash it to bits, at which point this tissue layer would explode out in a huge cloud of syndrome that caused contact necrosis. 

After some initial testing I decided to make my dorfs immune to the syndrome, just so the butchers would stop rotting to pieces.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 08:28:37 pm »

I had a war elephant that killed a bunch of kobolds and got a name. That isn't the interesting part though, the interesting part is the name it got.  "Clutchnose"!
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 05:00:53 am »

I had a war elephant that killed a bunch of kobolds and got a name. That isn't the interesting part though, the interesting part is the name it got.  "Clutchnose"!

elephants killing things are common
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2