Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do dwarfs care about the material of walls and floors?  (Read 1571 times)

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do dwarfs care about the material of walls and floors?
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:08:31 pm »

I'm trying to decide whether to locate my fortress in the layer of mudstone or marble and sphalerite.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do dwarfs care about the material of walls and floors?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:16:44 pm »

Marble and other flux make better rooms than normal stone.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:25:41 pm »

yes they care. Put a noble room on a patch of mined gems and watch him or her gloat about his pretty floor, engrave it with a masterwork engraving and see the value rocket
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:31:28 pm »

Thanks, guys. =D

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 03:51:32 pm »

Vast magnetite dining halls FTW!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:39:50 pm »

My best was a legendary unsmoothed dining hall (7x11 tiles) made entirely of olivine.  I think it even had wooden chairs and tables that were only of the bottom two quality levels.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:00:06 pm »

olivine? isn't that just... rock? Was there platinum chunks in it?

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 04:43:42 am »

If they like the material of the floor/wall, then like it even more. That actually caused me problems when my mayor was replaced, as suddenly the room wasn't good enough anymore. The previous mayor particularly liked the type of stone in the room.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 08:28:53 am »

If you have a broker with the needed skill to know the value of rocks, yes. Material quality matters, but ONLY for Nobles/Happy thoughts: Legendary bedroom, Legendary dining hall...that, if they have their personal rooms.

Rooms made out of metal ore, smoothed and engraved are a haven for them. Even a small 3x3 room can be made Legendary to the dwarf owning it. Believe me.

Magnetite. Sedimentary layer, yay Clusters!

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 09:23:11 am »

Isn't gold much better than magnetite? Is it just that magnetite appears in bigger clumps, making a room of it easier?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 09:53:29 am »

yes to both
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 12:35:15 pm »

You should be careful. I made a bed chamber for my philosopher once in 40d out of an engraved olivine room with a platinum vein running through it. The dungeon master nearly burst a blood vessel in sheer envy every time he walked past it.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 01:26:49 pm »

If you ever need to drive a room to ludicrous value then install a carpet made of weapon traps. You can easily turn a 2x2 bedroom with so-so furniture and no special minerals into a royal bedroom. Masterwork iron/steel/adamantine/artifact trap components are insanely valuable and you can stack 10 of them plus a mechanism in just a single tile.

It makes perfect sense. What tantruming sociopathic drunk wouldn't be comforted by ten massive spiked iron balls hanging over their cramped living room, waiting to crush them if they lose their mind?

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 09:28:29 pm »

If you ever need to drive a room to ludicrous value then install a carpet made of weapon traps. You can easily turn a 2x2 bedroom with so-so furniture and no special minerals into a royal bedroom. Masterwork iron/steel/adamantine/artifact trap components are insanely valuable and you can stack 10 of them plus a mechanism in just a single tile.

It makes perfect sense. What tantruming sociopathic drunk wouldn't be comforted by ten massive spiked iron balls hanging over their cramped living room, waiting to crush them if they lose their mind?

This is useful to know. My baroness is currently on a rampage. If anything, it should give her something to mull over before she decides to brain another legendary crafter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 01:33:17 pm »

Isn't gold much better than magnetite? Is it just that magnetite appears in bigger clumps, making a room of it easier?

If you can find several veins of gold close together, yes. Otherwise, magnetite, as it appears in BIG ASS OVALS OF IRON