Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combining the two gamemodes  (Read 1003 times)

Maksie99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combining the two gamemodes
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:19:02 am »

I had an idea. What if Adventure mode and Fortress mode could be combined?

You could choose one of your most capable warriors to become an Adventurer, a new type of Noble. They wouldn't have any mandates, and no demands apart from a nice room with maybe a weapon rack or two. This Adventurer would be able to travel. You'd select him and go to a map screen, where you pick a location for the Adventurer to travel to. The game will calculate how long it would take for the Adventurer to get there, and after that time has passed you will recieve an announcement and assume control of the Adventurer.

The Adventurer would be controlled as it would be in Adventure mode. You can travel around, do quests for people and collect items. When you feel like you should return, you can do that in the travel screen. All of the sweet loot the Adventurer brought back will then belong to the fortress.

However, the Adventurer's actions could also have diplomatic repercussions. Attacking an elf settlement is very likely to result in an elf siege. The adventurer would also be able to bring others with him, just as an Adventurer in Adventure mode would recruit random peasants. This way you would be able to launch sieges of your own!

I think that this addition, if it's even possible, would create new possibilities to gather otherwise unavailable materials, have more interesting wars and see the world that would normally be off-limits for those who build.

Please leave any feedback!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Combining the two gamemodes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:19 am »

I think this is very hard to code or nearly impossible. And what would happen when your fort complete all pending orders?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Maksie99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:11:25 am »

I think this is very hard to code or nearly impossible. And what would happen when your fort complete all pending orders?

I had my doubts about wether or not it would be possible too. It's just an idea though. And what pending orders do you mean?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:49:40 pm »

Workshops production, militia things, mandates...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:49:00 pm »

As awesome as it sounds, it won't be possible to implement :(

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:33:10 pm »

Seems like you would be leading ambushes, rather than sieges.

But yeah, I think it would be awesome, but I have doubts about how Toady would even go about implementing such a thing. A difficult, if not impossible project.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 05:17:28 pm »

If you could stumble into historical events...

Say a duel between a hero and a titan...

Or even a war...

I wonder if that would be possible.

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:17:38 am »

I think that sounds awesome.  It would be a significant undertaking to program, but certainly not impossible.

Some questions though.  While you're controlling the adventurer, would time in fortress mode be frozen?  Would there be restrictions on where the adventurer could go?  Could he or she visit your fortress and allow you to play it from the adventure mode perspective?

Maksie99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 05:27:34 am »

I think that sounds awesome.  It would be a significant undertaking to program, but certainly not impossible.

Some questions though.  While you're controlling the adventurer, would time in fortress mode be frozen?  Would there be restrictions on where the adventurer could go?  Could he or she visit your fortress and allow you to play it from the adventure mode perspective?

While you're controlling your adventurer, the game keeps track of how long you're taking. Meaning if your adventurer spends two months exploring and chooses to return, with one month of travel between him and the fortress, it will take one season of waiting in fortress mode before he returns.

And I think he'd be able to go pretty much anywhere. Human cities, goblin fortresses, elf camps, etc. Visiting your own fortress and walking around sounds pretty cool as well. It might also give players a new way of exploring caverns they find under their fortress.

Piggy

• Bay Watcher
  • Th-That's easy! G-George W-Wash...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 06:34:49 am »

I don't know if this popped up to any of you, but the result of the combination would be that you can create a village, manage it, be the administrator, do things adventure mode offers, do things fortress mode offers, but this would simply turn the game into an entirely another genre.

Genybr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 07:38:21 am »

Main problem - time. I.e. time of daytime. But it is fixable, look for OpenTTD.
Secondary problem - local unit/order management. Text based will be nice, but it need to be created.
Last problem - map usage. I mean, you go out - village saves, but continues working under worldgen.

I don't know if this popped up to any of you, but the result of the combination would be that you can create a village, manage it, be the administrator, do things adventure mode offers, do things fortress mode offers, but this would simply turn the game into an entirely another genre.
Err... this is a problem? In DF mode you play in strategy over RPG, in this - you'll play in RPG over strategy.