Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HFS expansion mod  (Read 3509 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HFS expansion mod
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:29:45 am »

I have bean doing some digging on the forums and found out that it is posible to add animals and plants and even ores to HFS. I know some mods add things down ther but i cant find any dedicated to it. I have bean thinking of making a mod to do just that and was looking for opinions, sugestions and help. I am a novice modder and have veary litlle expereince especialy with creatures and would apreceate any help and permision to use there creatures as templates.

some ideas ive had are mineable vains of special metals (such as hot and cold and ones used to make aloys) a range of colosal herbivors and terafying carnivors using syndromes and breath atacks (make good war beasts). special trees (especialy good weapon logs) and also civilizations down there. and much more.

i am not promosing much as i am unskilled and dont as much time as id like

also ill nead a name
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:40:56 am by sackhead »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: HFS expansion mod
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:57:54 am »

I think you should learn how to spell and use apostrophes first. Here's a quantum stockpile full: '
Take as many as you want.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:00:18 am »

Could add Fire Imps as a HFS civ, or a beef'd up version that is a mix between reacher and fire imp. They start with level 6-7 natural combat skills and can_learn so they level up more. Breed rapidly and grow in a year [LITTER_SIZE:min:max] [BODYSIZE:0:0:size][CHILD:1] (i don't know if 0 works) the race also needs [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] or else the hellish neighbours will do mortal combat with them.

I like this Idea and it's on my to-do list for my mod, but I probally wont get to HFS in a looooong time.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:13:48 am »

Sounds like it could be interesting for those who are able to colonise the HFS.

My suggestions would be to add more variety for the plants once the HFS has been breached, at the moment once you reach that point anything you can grow becomes pretty much useless. Options you could try are plants that give much stronger thread, or go completely crazy with custom reactions and create plants that can be processed directly into crossbow bolts or bones or something.

Does anyone know if the good and evil tokens mean anything for the critters in the HFS? That could also give a bit more variety as different locations would have diferent fauna (alas good/evil flora is still bugged).

On a random side note I am currently working on something vaguely similar to this, except my work is a total conversion where the new surface is actually the old hell. Should be interesting to compare our differing views on the HFS once they are done.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:20:38 am »

What I know (some from experimenting, some from this forum):

It is possible to add critters in the carnival.
It is possible to add plants in the carnival (heard this in this forum)
I think good and evil biomes have an effect to the critters in the carnival, assuming the critter can be zombified and has the other appropriate tags.
It isn't possible to add cavern civs below the caverns.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:30:00 am »

What I know (some from experimenting, some from this forum):
It isn't possible to add cavern civs below the caverns.
Where did you hear this? Or is this personal !!SCIENCE!!?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:32:28 am »

I am working on the same currently

I have 7 new demons to fight, an adamantine laying pet that you can catch, a tree that is half as strong as slade, for powerfull weapons and ammo, a plant that has a high value for booze.

And souls. Weak fighters arriving in big groups, dropping items upon death. I found an old mod with that idea and I am advancing it. Normal souls drop nothing, good souls drop high value gems, bad souls drop evil, which can be brewed, rightous souls drop strong metal.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:15:51 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:17:30 am »

To quote narhiril, who has done quite a bit of testing down there:

I've done a fair bit of research firsthand on hell fauna...  A few discoveries (some obvious, some not so much).

-Setting [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5] and [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] gets them down there.
-World populations of a creature that inhabits hell (even if it also appears elsewhere) is always set to infinite.
-Creatures compete with procedural demons for spawns.  A world with more procedural demons will see less custom creatures.
-A world without procedural demons will see only custom creatures.
-Procedural demons will attack anything on sight.  This can be avoided by adding [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] to anything you put down there that you don't want fighting with them.
-The [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] tag seems to override the [LIKES_FIGHTING] and [LARGE_PREDATOR] tokens to some degree.  To get the creature down there to attack dwarves, but not demons, give them a high [PRONE_TO_RAGE] value.
-Anything that falls into a chasm will die instantly.
-Creatures in hell respect the [FREQUENCY] and [CLUSTER_NUMBER] tokens.

Some ideas for creatures down there...

1) Scrap the procedural demons and add your own version of hell.  I have done this with LFR, giving powerful creatures down there unique item drops.  This has proved to be a great way to do easter eggs without significantly affecting the balance of the game.

2) Add a creature that naturally fights with procedural demons.  Think the Lightbringers from Guild Wars, fighting in the realm of torment, or the Legion of the Dead in DA:O, fighting the darkspawn until their own deaths.  This is a planned future addition to LFR, but I by no means have any sort of monopoly on any of these ideas.  As long as you use your own work or ask for permission if you want to use mine directly, I have no quarrel with any of your objectives here.

3) Add a tameable war creature unique to hell as a reward for successfully breaching it and capturing a pair.  Note that this might not work very well if procedural demons are present, as giving [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] to a war creature is somewhat undesirable.

I am currently doing research on hell flora.  The theory is that putting a plant in hell should permit it to grow on suitable surfaces once hell is breached, as a sort of reward.  High value alcohol, perhaps?  I just need to confirm that this actually works.

I am currently testing hell civilizations - theoretically they function identically to animal people.  What will be really exciting is if I can get them to work and to spawn with unique items from their permissions list.  Imagine breaching hell only to find a group of hopelessly lost aliens from another plane of reality.

I have not yet tested hell megabeasts.  I sincerely hope they work, but I won't have any evidence for a while.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:15:22 am by narhiril »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 12:20:11 pm »

You forgot to add  that they should be flying.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:27:56 pm »

Well, when you breach the candy cotton spire, only fliers will be spawned. But everything else will be spawned later on the mapedge, like normal wildlife. After you won the battle. For reward creatures I like that even more, because you can seperate between: Army you have to fight... And creatures you find as a reward for defeating that army. Demons that attack you, and prisoners/tortured souls that you can free...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:43:38 pm »

Well, when you breach the candy cotton spire, only fliers will be spawned. But everything else will be spawned later on the mapedge, like normal wildlife. After you won the battle. For reward creatures I like that even more, because you can seperate between: Army you have to fight... And creatures you find as a reward for defeating that army. Demons that attack you, and prisoners/tortured souls that you can free...
Truth be told, most players would just re-enslave those.

But it is an intresting idea, anyway.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 01:09:55 pm »

For number 3 you could always have a caste of male an female each that are at peace with wildlife in addition to the warbeast caste to ensure they survive through breeding.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 01:11:30 pm »

With: Can be freed I ment something like: Killed. Destroy the tortured soul in hell, and release it. The corpse of the soul is the item you get for this. :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 03:53:08 pm »

So I know that it says that he is testing it in that quote, but has anybody actually figured out whether or not hell flora will spawn after hell is breached? I'm only asking since my mod actually includes some of those and I would like to know if they actually work before I throw away any more time making them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 08:05:38 pm »

thanks for replying I am starting work on some plants and minerals first before creatures. I wont have anything worth releasing for a while yet. from what I have done so far it is hard to test. 
Pages: [1] 2