Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Max happiness from a dining room  (Read 1188 times)

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Max happiness from a dining room
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:16 am »

I've searched around but I've been unable to find out how the happiness granted from the dining room is determined. Is it based on the quality or the actual value of the room? Is there any point to further increasing the rooms value?

edit: Fixed a typo in the subject.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Max happiness from a dining room
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:09:18 am »

The quality of a room is based on the value of the tiles in the room and the furniture placed there.

So a room dug out of a native gold cluster has a higher value than one dug out of normal stone, and a plain room with a simple wooden chair is better than a room with no chair.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:38:47 am »

Er, I understand how value works. When in doubt more masterwork statues im asking if the happiness gained from eating in the dining room is based directly off of the value of the room or if its based off of the step of quality its on. If its based off value then I've got reasons to dump a bunch of artifacts in it, if its based off of its quality level then i only need a few chairs/tables to make it up to the legendary level.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:49:16 am »

The "eaten in legendary dinning room" thought and associated happiness is based on the quality.
But you can also get "admired fine statue" type thoughts for all the individual furniture in the room. So if the dwarfs are hanging out there anyway might as well put the good furniture in there as well.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:52:36 am »

make an overlapping statue garden if you put statues there and they get deliriously happy from standing in a legendary dining room enjoying a legendary statue garden and vice versa
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 12:11:42 pm »

make an overlapping statue garden if you put statues there and they get deliriously happy from standing in a legendary dining room enjoying a legendary statue garden and vice versa
Of course that also doubles the chance of your dwarves deciding to party away instead of doing what you actually need them to do.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 01:13:24 pm »

Of course that also doubles the chance of your dwarves deciding to party away instead of doing what you actually need them to do.
And lowers the value of both rooms.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 03:23:31 pm »

considering all the engravind, all the statues and tables and chairs, that is no problem at all
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 03:25:01 pm »

And lowers the value of both rooms.
I don't think so. I extensively overlap rooms (usually bedrooms), and if you want to put 2 rooms into X amount of space, if they overlap the total value will be higher, than if the space is split up. Yes the rooms individually aren't as as valuable as if only one was occupying that space, but you aren't losing any value from the furniture or architecture, it's merely split between the two rooms - but I think some things aren't split and the value is included twice - because overlapping rooms seem to have higher value than they "should", but I haven't tested this scientifically.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 03:45:33 pm »

I don't think so. I extensively overlap rooms (usually bedrooms), and if you want to put 2 rooms into X amount of space, if they overlap the total value will be higher, than if the space is split up. Yes the rooms individually aren't as as valuable as if only one was occupying that space, but you aren't losing any value from the furniture or architecture, it's merely split between the two rooms - but I think some things aren't split and the value is included twice - because overlapping rooms seem to have higher value than they "should", but I haven't tested this scientifically.
The value (and thus quality) of overlapping rooms is based directly on the quality of the rooms if they weren't overlapping. Specifically, the quality of all the tiles within a room (including the items buildings are made from) is added up, and is then divided by 4 if the room overlaps another. So, if 2 rooms share the same space, both are 1/4 as valuable as if they were separate. If 3 or more rooms share the same space, again, each is 1/4 as valuable as if they were separate. The value isn't "split" between rooms, nor is it included more than once.

This of course means that it's vastly cheaper to outfit one chamber and put all 4 of a noble's required rooms in it than it is to outfit 4 chambers.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »

How nice a particular dwarf thinks your dining room is will also depend on his or her personality.  I have noticed the same room getting great, good, and legendary from different dwarves due to material and object preferences.  a dwarf who likes tables and chairs is almost always going to love even a simple dining room.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:51:52 pm »

about 5k (2 masterwork silver statues would definitely work) would be sufficient to make a dining room legendary. Everytime someone take a meal in it he get +10 happiness, not counting any extra from noticing nice chair/table/etc.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:15:42 pm »

The value (and thus quality) of overlapping rooms is based directly on the quality of the rooms if they weren't overlapping. Specifically, the quality of all the tiles within a room (including the items buildings are made from) is added up, and is then divided by 4 if the room overlaps another. So, if 2 rooms share the same space, both are 1/4 as valuable as if they were separate. If 3 or more rooms share the same space, again, each is 1/4 as valuable as if they were separate. The value isn't "split" between rooms, nor is it included more than once.

This of course means that it's vastly cheaper to outfit one chamber and put all 4 of a noble's required rooms in it than it is to outfit 4 chambers.
about 5k (2 masterwork silver statues would definitely work) would be sufficient to make a dining room legendary. Everytime someone take a meal in it he get +10 happiness, not counting any extra from noticing nice chair/table/etc.
So by this logic, if I made a 20K Dining Room that was also a Statue Garden, then it would be just as legendary as a 5k dining room.  Costs more, but I suppose that it is better for the dwarves, since more of them will enjoy both, rather than just one or the other.  There is also no reason to exceed that.

Is that correct?

Also, if rooms are counted by the squares (re)sized from querying the furniture, then... well, all the rooms seem to include the wall tiles.  Does this mean I should have two-tile thick wall between rooms?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 04:17:48 pm »

they'd only share the value of the walls, nt everything

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 07:34:44 pm »

So by this logic, if I made a 20K Dining Room that was also a Statue Garden, then it would be just as legendary as a 5k dining room.  Costs more, but I suppose that it is better for the dwarves, since more of them will enjoy both, rather than just one or the other.  There is also no reason to exceed that.

Is that correct?
That is correct, yes. Of course, having a statue garden causes its own problems.

Also, if rooms are counted by the squares (re)sized from querying the furniture, then... well, all the rooms seem to include the wall tiles.  Does this mean I should have two-tile thick wall between rooms?
they'd only share the value of the walls, nt everything
Tiles that flash dark blue when you're defining the room (room-blocking, basically) aren't counted as overlapping, even if multiple rooms use the same one. Check the (R)ooms menu; any rooms whose name are in red overlap and get the penalty, any that are in white don't. Shared walls, shared doors, or shared open spaces don't cause the the rooms to be considered overlapping.

There is also a penalty for having a room not entirely bordered by dark-blue tiles, from what I can tell, but I don't know exactly what it is.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!