Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Height bonus?  (Read 785 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Height bonus?
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:23:36 am »

I cannot be the first one to ask, but is there a height bonus involved in ranged combat? Is height taken into account in any way? Couldn't find an answer on the wiki, and a forum search turned up nuthin.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Height bonus?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:24:38 am »

There really is no concept of creature height in DF. Height and width (and broadness, and length, etc.) just act as multipliers to size.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not, since there's no concept of the shape of body parts, or anything like that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:10:29 am »

I remember reading that firing a ranged weapon from a higher position than your target actually decreases your max range, so you should try to keep your crossbowdwarves on the same level as your enemy.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:19:52 am »

Hm. I guess it just reads distance in a line, and being higher up just means youre father away. Ok then. Thanks =)
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:59:07 am »

I can confirm that there is no height bonus in combat, such as one fighter standing on an upward slope and another on the ground above it. Or at least not that I noticed. Neither do marksdwarfs gain an accuracy or damage bonus. If they are too high, the opposit will be true for enemies standing close to the wall (use a moat, a dry one usually so any of your idiots that accidentally jumps in doesn't drown).
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 01:19:09 pm »

I remember reading that firing a ranged weapon from a higher position than your target actually decreases your max range, so you should try to keep your crossbowdwarves on the same level as your enemy.

Supposed to be different with bows.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:04:59 pm »

Whoops, look like I misinterpreted the OP somehow. Why I thought they were talking about creature height, I have no idea.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:02:13 pm »

No problem it was a good laugh XD

Wish you could get dwarves to use bows, then.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:42:44 am »

As far as I can tell, size only figures into receiving a blow (from range or melee) and in dealing melee damage.  Making range attacks doesn't deal with size modifiers.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:00:43 pm »

As far as I can tell, size only figures into receiving a blow (from range or melee) and in dealing melee damage.  Making range attacks doesn't deal with size modifiers.
I suggest that you read the posts before you like these ones :P
There really is no concept of creature height in DF. Height and width (and broadness, and length, etc.) just act as multipliers to size.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not, since there's no concept of the shape of body parts, or anything like that.
Whoops, look like I misinterpreted the OP somehow. Why I thought they were talking about creature height, I have no idea.
We're really talking about altitude here, not creature height/size.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.