Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood wants items I have, yet won't craft? (resolved)  (Read 11397 times)

Glitch(TMG)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange mood wants items I have, yet won't craft? (resolved)
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:34:48 am »

Okay, I've been playing the game for a little time now, gone through two forts and am on a third, and have gotten the hang of most of it (even if I have yet to survive the first goblin seige).

A weaver was taken by a fey mood, claimed a workshop, and spouted this list of items; needs yarn cloth, 'rock bars', rocks, logs, and cut gems (in that order). I know thanks to the wiki that 'rock bars' really just means metal bars, and in that case, I have every item on that list. But, the dwarf got the cloth, and is now sitting around, not collecting anything else.

The wiki also said on the 'strange mood' page that 'metalworkers' will sometimes need a very specific metal, which can be guessed by looking at their individual preferences. I really really hope this is not the case here. For one, the dwarf is a weaver, not a metalworker (and if this does still happen, then the wording of the wiki needs to be changed). And most of all, in her preference list, she likes 'ley pewter', which requires tin, copper, and lead.

There's no tin or lead on this map, none that I've found yet. (just a lot of iron hematite and copper/silver tetrahedrite)

So, is there any other possible reason that could be blocking the fey mood dwarf from collecting? Every other thing on that list is in fact on the same z-level as the clothier's shop she's in, just a brisk walk away to individual workshop stockpiles. And if anyone thinks that the dwarf really does require an exact metal, is there any way I can hack the save file data and find out exactly what that is, possibly even change it?

Yeah, I know, it'd be much more Fun to let the dwarf go bonkers. But, it'd be more Inconvenient than Fun if I have to wall up the workshop, wait for her to starve, and train up a new weaver as she's the only one I have at the moment.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:15:04 pm by Glitch(TMG) »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood wants items I have, yet won't craft?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:32:37 am »

Do you have enough of each item?  She might need more cloth than just 1 unit, but I expect you've got several.  I don't think the metal type matters here.  She's not burrowed is she?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:46:48 am »

What is meant by specific metal/material is: They will prefer to take an object of that metal (example: Gold bars out of any other metal if they prefer it) and use that instead of any other present metal, if they're making a metallic object.

But, that has no effect on the creation of an artifact if you have other materials of the same category. It's just a preference.

So:
> Are all your stockpiles reachable by pathing on land?
> Are they behind doors, are those doors locked?
> Did you wall off some part of your fort sometime ago?
> Did you wall in that dwarf in that workshop?
> Did you set any burrows with restrictions?
> Are said material stockpiles very far away from your dwarf?
> Maybe she needs more yarn cloth. Which comes from spun hairs of an animal if I'm not correct. It doesn't state how many of an item is needed, only what type.
> Artifacts are made in order, so if you're following that list exactly and it isn't being made, check again.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:09:11 am »

I can't prove it, but I think strange moods involving cloth sometimes get confused and ignore vast piles of the requested cloth type.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Glitch(TMG)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 02:33:00 am »

> Are all your stockpiles reachable by pathing on land?

Affirmative, as said, all stockpiles with the required materials are in fact on the same Z-level, and all viewable in the same window. I have a very minimalist fortress, and all my workshops are in a row with materials input and output stockpiles next to them.

> Are they behind doors, are those doors locked?

Negative, I don't bother with doors except in bedrooms.

> Did you wall off some part of your fort sometime ago?

Negative.

> Did you wall in that dwarf in that workshop?

Negative. For the moment. It's on the to-do list if I can't fix this, though...

> Did you set any burrows with restrictions?

Negative, I haven't started using burrows yet.

> Are said material stockpiles very far away from your dwarf?

Negative, see first.

> Maybe she needs more yarn cloth. Which comes from spun hairs of an animal if I'm not correct. It doesn't state how many of an item is needed, only what type.

Okay, now -this- might be it. I had to basically create a textile industry out of nothing -just- to get a single piece of cloth for this weaver (I was in the process of setting it up already, but hadn't gotten to really activating it yet). I don't have more than one piece of cloth, so I'll get more and see what happens.

> Artifacts are made in order, so if you're following that list exactly and it isn't being made, check again.

Yarn's the first thing on the list, and as said above, she only has one so far...I shall try to get yet more cloth bits ready for her. Only hope I can do it before the berserk starts...I hope this works! And thanks for the help, everyone! Will report back with results later.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 02:40:00 am »

Usually, it takes months before the madness sets in. You'll have a lot of time to butcher an animal and then spin it's hair in the Farmer's Workshop.

Report the details of that artifact if you can.  :D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 12:17:59 pm »

I can't prove it, but I think strange moods involving cloth sometimes get confused and ignore vast piles of the requested cloth type.
This is simply because when cloth is requested for a strange mood the dwarf ones a very specific type of cloth (i.e. plant, silk, or yarn) and they will only accept that type. As such you might have all of the plant and yarn cloth you could ever want, but if they want silk it will be useless.

As for how much of each thing she wants, you can tell by timing the amount of time that it displays each request. If she displays "cloth" for 2x as long as she does "rocks", then she needs 2 pieces of cloth (unless of course she needs two rocks, but you get the idea).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 12:29:37 pm »

As for how much of each thing she wants, you can tell by timing the amount of time that it displays each request. If she displays "cloth" for 2x as long as she does "rocks", then she needs 2 pieces of cloth (unless of course she needs two rocks, but you get the idea).

This is not reliable anymore.  Sometimes this is the case, but I have seen dwarves want up to three items despite the request being listed for the same time as the requests for only one item.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 02:21:23 pm »

This is not reliable anymore.  Sometimes this is the case, but I have seen dwarves want up to three items despite the request being listed for the same time as the requests for only one item.

It's only unreliable for the first item requirement, since the mood's primary material exists as one job item with an increased quantity; other mood requirements can still do this because they're independent from one another (i.e. it might choose the same sort of item twice in a row).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

onehellofatable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 03:28:25 pm »

I know this might be a stupid suggestion, but despite what the wiki says you should try making some rock blocks at the mason's workshop. That's what I'd assume it was off the bat, but you've likely already done that... Just a thought
WGOIMF: Just lost 12 miners (all but 1) to cave ins within the span of an hour mining out a 20x20 pit

......Nothing could be done, it was the will of Armok!

Glitch(TMG)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 02:06:51 am »

Onehelofatable; I actually already had a pile of rock blocks, in fact. I prefer to use them rather than raw stone in constructing workshops and buildings.

And well, it was in fact the cloth. Fortunately, I have a human caravan parked in the fort at the same time, and so I traded them for a few bits of yarn cloth (even though I already traded with them for what I originally wanted). The weaver suddenly shot out of the workshop, snatched up a second piece of cloth, and finally moved on down the list.

With the next item being 'rock bars' (actually metal bars), she cheekily took one of the only steel bars I have in the entire fortress. Forgot to embark on a map with flux stone, and I've been needing to trade for steel with my home dwarven civ. Then she ran otuside and grabbed a stray bit of unstockpiled hematite ore instead of the perfectly good stockpiled hematite that was in the same z level with the rest of the workshops.

However, she finally picked up everything else she wanted, and the final parts list is as follows: llama wool cloth, llama wool cloth, steel bars, hematite, ash logs, and cherry opals.

Now, as there have only been two artifacts in my fortress so far, both underwhelming (a totally plain diorite bracelet with bands of leather, -no- special features at all. My fortress is quite uneventful.), this one...kinda continues the trend? As requested, the resulting artifact details:

Ledthak, "Racklock", a llama wool head veil
"This is llama wool head veil. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with cherry opal, studded with steel, decorated with llama wool and encircled with bands of ash. It is made from llama wool cloth. This object is adorned with hanging rings of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large roach in hematite."

I have no clue where the roach came from.  ???

Anyway, guess that closes this. Thanks again for the help, everyone!

EDIT: No, wait. Looked at the weaver's preference list.
She absolutely detests large roaches. Go figure.  :P