Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Picks (and axes I guess) as military weapons  (Read 1218 times)

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Picks (and axes I guess) as military weapons
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:18:09 pm »

A honey badger was harassing my Dorfs outside, so I drafted one of my miners into the military, since I gave him a few starting points in some military-related skills. Once I made his squad, I assigned him the weapons of Picks (in general, I could not select any of my two specific picks), and sent him off to kill the badger. A quick pick to the brain made short work of him, so I canceled his kill orders and he stood around for a bit chilling, then ran off to haul something or whatever.

But, he left his pick behind. What gives? Is there anyway to make sure that he always has his pick with him at all times, be him a civillian miner or military pick-dorf? I don't want him just dropping his pick randomly or running off to a weapon stockpile (I don't have a weapon stockpile yet since my fort is barely into summer).

Thanks.

Edit: While on the subject, my butcher won't head outside to grab the corpse and butcher it. How do I make him butcher military kills?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:19:55 pm by PsychicKid »

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
Re: Picks (and axes I guess) as military weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:24:22 pm »

A honey badger was harassing my Dorfs outside, so I drafted one of my miners into the military, since I gave him a few starting points in some military-related skills. Once I made his squad, I assigned him the weapons of Picks (in general, I could not select any of my two specific picks), and sent him off to kill the badger. A quick pick to the brain made short work of him, so I canceled his kill orders and he stood around for a bit chilling, then ran off to haul something or whatever.

But, he left his pick behind. What gives? Is there anyway to make sure that he always has his pick with him at all times, be him a civillian miner or military pick-dorf? I don't want him just dropping his pick randomly or running off to a weapon stockpile (I don't have a weapon stockpile yet since my fort is barely into summer).

Thanks.

Edit: While on the subject, my butcher won't head outside to grab the corpse and butcher it. How do I make him butcher military kills?

With miners in the military, you need two picks per dwarf. One is a military pick. The other a civilian pick. Typically the way I do this is make a ton of copper picks for civilian use, and use steel picks for my military. Pickaxes are rather effective weapons, especially with Legendary +5 Mining skill, so my melee squads usually only use picks.

As for your last question, butchers won't butcher anything that was killed by any means other than hunting, or the butchery task. This means you have to hunt animals using civilian dwarves, or assign tame animals to be slaughtered.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:27:11 pm »

Not sure about butchering I beleive you cant butcher anything thats dead already they have to be (slaughterd).

As for the military the miner and woodcutter skills pared with military dutie = bad weapon loosing stuff,hunters also .

Asign your worthless peasants and haulers to military dutie.

If your miners woodcutters or hunters are attacked and they actualy fight instead of running they do have a better chance cause of there weapon,but there not for the militery.
EDIT: late by two seconds :-[

EDIT2: to train miners at uber digging lock em in a danger room with there pick.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:29:01 pm by zubb2 »
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:31:37 pm »

Not sure about butchering I beleive you cant butcher anything thats dead already they have to be (slaughterd).

As for the military the miner and woodcutter skills pared with military dutie = bad weapon loosing stuff,hunters also .

Asign your worthless peasants and haulers to military dutie.

If your miners woodcutters or hunters are attacked and they actualy fight instead of running they do have a better chance cause of there weapon,but there not for the militery.
EDIT: late by two seconds :-[

EDIT2: to train miners at uber digging lock em in a danger room with there pick.
Pickaxes are actually incredibly effective weapons. I know this from experience. As for training mining, a more legitimate way to train is have miners dig out soil. It's almost as fast.
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:32:04 pm »

So what about the pick that's just laying there in the grass outside? Will he not go back and get it if I assign him a mining job? I guess I could expedite my iron industry and start hammering out some more picks, but my other miner decided to go nap. >8|

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:34:01 pm »

So what about the pick that's just laying there in the grass outside? Will he not go back and get it if I assign him a mining job? I guess I could expedite my iron industry and start hammering out some more picks, but my other miner decided to go nap. >8|
That pick would be reserved for military use. I think you can free it up again by assigning a different weapon in the squad.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:35:12 pm »

Cool, thanks for the replies. Time to go crap out a bunch of picks and armor. Next wave of immigrants will all become miners and drafted.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:51:06 pm »

As for your last question, butchers won't butcher anything that was killed by any means other than hunting, or the butchery task. This means you have to hunt animals using civilian dwarves, or assign tame animals to be slaughtered.

Not true, iirc. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to get hundreds of FB meat after a kill. Try setting them to gather refuse from outdoors; that might do it. The task done is "butcher a dead creature" or something from the butchery workshop.
*insert witty signature here*

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 08:56:34 pm »

Almost true. It only applies to tamed animals - if a stray yak starves to death, its corpse can not be butchered.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:02:55 pm »

Almost true. It only applies to tamed animals - if a stray yak starves to death, its corpse can not be butchered.
What's going on with animals killed by the military, then?
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 09:05:46 pm »

They should get butchered fine. If you're having trouble, try stockpiling the corpses closer to your butcher's shops.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 09:10:05 pm »

Could it be that you have to allow your dorfs to gather refuse thats lying around outside?
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20:29 pm »

I don't think it has anything to do with gathering refuse. Every time I have a mounted goblin siege that runs into my weapon trap lined entrance all of the mounts, no matter what they are, get butchered.

Interestingly this auto butcher even extends to fire imps, which is very unfortunate as their fat instantly combusts. I once lost half a fort to this after a barrel full of flaming fire imp fat was stored next to a large number of booze barrels.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 12:56:56 pm »

The major work around is just assigning your miners/woodcutters the weapon they use to labour, in specific weapons.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 04:12:03 pm »

The butchering problem is pretty simple.
the only things that seem to be butcher-able (the only acceptable causes of death, that is) is violence by your dwarves. So things killed by your citizens in any way should be butcher-able. Slaughter, hunted, militia'd, self defensed to death, etc. Starving is not kosher. After that, the corpse has to be in reach of the butcher WS, so move it over there: setup a refuse stockpile and tell your dwarves to gather from outside. Usually when you kill a FB it's INSIDE, so you don't need to set to gather from outside.
The problem with gathering refuse from outside is that if a stray cat finds a grasshopper all the way on the other side of the map and for some reason doesn't carry it back to base, then a dwarf will go -- leading to ambush fun. If you use hunters this shouldn't be necessary, since they generate the "carry kill back" job, but militia don't.
I just killed a dragon (my first ever) and am as of now preparing dragon roasts and making dragon crossbows. Too bad I didn't have cage traps setup so I could make a dragon fire turret... but crossbows are cool.
Pages: [1] 2