Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: A total reworking of the current Fortress economy, from the ground up.  (Read 19198 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: A total reworking of the current Fortress economy, from the ground up.
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 03:40:29 pm »

If I redo every item in the game, does that mean that each new item require a new name? That's fairly easily accomplished with cut&paste. Would this solution then require more than renaming? It doesn't make a lot of sense that it should...
If you want to rename items, you are free to do so. They all however require an unique ID, which's seperated from their ingame displayed name and dont have any connection to each other beyond that. New items also need to be assigned to a civ before they show up in trade and respective vanilla workshops. Custom reactions can create anything.

So nothing I'm not familiar with, then. This will be a lot easier than I figured. Infact, I can probably knock out a lot of it myself, this weekend... I was afraid workshops in general, as well as some of the reactions, would end up being a nightmare, but it doesn't seem like it.

Meph, in that water reaction, how is the water obtained or used for the reagent?

And does anyone know if the current workshops can atleast be modded in terms of the materials you need to build them? In other words, can I make the workshops we have now, require more items to construct than they currently do, without breaking the game?

I also had a side thought about framerates, and trying to shoehorn an immense amount of new materials, reactions, entities, etc. into the game.

I think, by carefully setting up the parameters at game-creation, I should be able to create a series of (hypothetical, and in large part by way of imagination only) "overlapping" maps, each covering a small area (maybe something like 100km square?) of one huge, again hypothetical, but relatively consistent map, and then, by modding the game as a whole, to cover the particulars of each map, it might be possible to sharply reduce the actual content going on in that particular map, while retaining a very deep, flavorful experience.

One that should in theory be creatively richer and more fulfilling than a normal tiny map, while being easier to work with as a player and as a modder, and run faster (small map with fewer mods vs large map with thousands of mods), than if an entire hemisphere were displayed. 

Each "map" (each region, actually--and let me be the first to point out that these regions could be recreated by the player at the start of each game, if desired, with just a set of suggested parameters) could then be free to develope a life of it's own, taking on distinct local characteristics and personality, down to the point where you might trade with a particular neighboring dwarf settlement for their distinctive sharp cheddar, and with another dwarf neighbor for their famous smoked gouda.

Since this would involve not so much whole biomes, as much smaller sub-biomes and parts of biomes, it would make sense to include separate wildlife, local types of monsters and megabeasts, plants that may not grow anywhere else, and even things like extremely rare gems, and metals with "amazing properties" that can't be found elsewhere, while "ghost entities" could be set up to represent very large trading entities, and could still supply rare goods from several of these little maps over.   

This would allow the picking and choosing of materials, processes, flora/fauna, what have you, from enormous, well-organized lists, without having to feel that anything left unused was wasted effort, since it can always be placed in another, more appropriate, map.

Things for the modder could really go as micro as we want, without losing most of the advantages of living in a big dynamic world.
For they would be your masters.

EBM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 03:53:02 pm »

And does anyone know if the current workshops can atleast be modded in terms of the materials you need to build them? In other words, can I make the workshops we have now, require more items to construct than they currently do, without breaking the game?

Yes, but only the Soap Maker's Workshop and Screw Press, sadly. You can find them in building_custom.txt. The raws aren't available for the rest.

New workshops can be built from any materials you like, of course.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 04:00:38 pm »

At the reaction that produces water the water is created by magical dwarven science, out of nothing. You could limit it by adding other reagents to make it harder to get.

At the reaction that uses water as in reagent, you need a bucket with 1 water in it. Nothing special. You can add it to any reaction you like to make it need water.

About FPS: The biggest problems are pathfinding of multiple units, wear on gear (like rotting clothes) and clutter, like 10000 boulders lying around, or 1000 bolts fired by invaders and left...

Another thing is of course temperatur and fluids, but you cant mod any of this. Only turn temperatur on or off. The weather as well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 06:19:09 pm »

I think we can cut down on the bolts, right away. It will be annoying, but shouldn't be too limiting to remove crossbow production from aggressive entities, while supplimenting them in other ways, since that's already a partially implemented part of my overall modding plan.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's not ideal, but better than game crashes, until a more perfect solution comes up.

As far as hundreds of boulders, they should be eaten up, in part, by workshops (since buildings are typically 9x9, simply requiring 9 boulders per building, as a foundation, should immediately help, without causing an enormous stress on starting Fortresses, since workshops can be added on only as necessary. Larger buildings would be even more helpful. More sophisticated buildings, and all furnaces (minimum of 30 stones or boulders per furnace), could require many more boulders, for walls, and even furnace roofs.)

Specific buildings could require stone furnishings. If we can really mod the heck out of workshops and furnaces, we should be able to eat up stone faster than Pac-man, with a minimal annoyance factor for players.

Jewellers could need grinding wheels, abrasives, and the like. So could weaponsmiths. Alchemists could require glass or stone vessels for acids, with stone easier to obtain. Spiceries would grind their spices with mortar-and-pestil, that's atleast two stones right there.
Butchers would want cut stone floors and stone butcherblocks. Kitchens could use up a butcherblock, a mortar-and-pestil, a stone rolling pin, stone crockery, and more.

These would be 1 job items, and it wouldn't be that difficult to figure out what buildings you're likely to require in the near-immediate future, and then gradually build up a small stockpile of necessary items, while at the same time reducing stone at a pace that self-balances against your mining operations.
No matter how many legendary miners you have, enabling some extremely basic stoneworking jobs for more or less every other dwarf in your Fortress, so that they can set up workshops, should keep the miners under control.

Can new buildings be made the size of trade depots and kennels? 5x5? Any other sizes?

I'd personally prefer sizes ranging from 2x2 to 9x9.

There are plenty of other solutions to the problem, though, and it seems like a mix of them might be nicer.

Is it possible to mod the game so that a constructed wall requires 3 stones or boulders, instead of one?

I use marble chips in my own gardening endeavors. I think dwarfs might reasonably do the same. The calcium is very healthy for plants, and often makes the difference between a successful harvest of fruits and vegetables, and a bunch of inedible lumps, rotting on the vine.

Does anyone know of a way to mod the plotting of a farm field so that they require stone?

Calcium, like rock salt, is also quite edible, if purified. I know this from personal experience. (please consult your doctor, a nutritionist, a chemist, and a geologist, before attempting. Same thing with rock salt--unpurified, both can be toxic.). So is chalk, which anyone who's ever bitten a piece of schoolboard chalk can attest to (again, consult your doctor, etc. before trying. Or better yet, don't, and take my word for it, it's not very tasty. It's also always possible that some toxic element might be added to chalk, or you may have a rare allergy, or something.). Likewise, gypsum and talc, both calcium minerals, which, when purified and processed, are common food additives. 

Dwarfs could actually eat flux stones, therefore. Maybe some others. Probably with processing involved, for balance reasons.

Dwarfs might even eat some stones that are toxic to humans, to illustrate their great toughness, and make them just a bit more alien, while helping to solve the rock problem.

I personally like the idea of lead being non-toxic to dwarfs, for instance, and lead acting, for them, like zinc does for us humans. (Nobody eat lead, though, please. It's extremely toxic to both the body, and even more so, the brain.).

Maybe also some raw minerals that humans need in their diet, like iron for instance, but that we don't typically get in the form of a rock. Don't eat rust. It can be quite toxic, and also contain deadly bacteria. A dwarf might eat rust, however. Possibly as a spice. 

This may help serendipitously in certain situations where you happen to have too much of a cheap mineral that could normally be processed and sold, but for only a mild profit.

These mineral sources of "nutrition" should ideally require that they be cooked with atleast one other food ingredient, and they should require some processing, so that they'd let you improve the quality of your meals, but not allow your Fortress to survive on dirt, or let you replace cooks with miners.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 06:54:43 pm »

I like the idea of dwarfs eating some types of rocks to further differentiate their biology from humans.
Seems like a logical extension of their racial dependence on ethanol and dwarfs being a Subterranean race.
The Gorons in the Dwarves in a New World - Legend of Zelda mod eat stone you might want to take a look at that for ideas.
(Nobody eat lead, though, please. It's extremely toxic to both the body, and even more so, the brain.).
And it tastes like sugar but is sweeter, that's why children eat lead paint - it is colorful and tastes like candy. 
Lead used to be used as an artificial sweetener (Lead(II) acetate and other Lead(II) salts) before the health effects were discovered, perhaps another reason Dwarfs might eat it.
Lead was also used to make water pipes and makeup.

Can new buildings be made the size of trade depots and kennels? 5x5? Any other sizes?

I'd personally prefer sizes ranging from 2x2 to 9x9.
You can make new buildings up to 31x31 in size according to the wiki.
You can make rectangular buildings as well as square ones.
I recommend using the Custom Workshop Workshop utility to lay out the appearance of a new workshop and then modifying the raws that are produced to your likeing from there.
That way you can see what the final workshop will look like in game at each stage of construction as you come up with a new design.
You can require pretty much anything you want as construction materials for a workshop.
I like to include chairs, tables, and other items that would logically be used in the workshop as building materials.
Here are some examples of what I have made for the bloodwine mod I am working on right now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:30:08 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Pancho Cachondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 10:40:19 pm »

I made a reaction to brew drinks with water

[REACTION:BREW_ALCOHOLIC_BEVERAGE]
   [NAME:Make an Alcoholic Beverage]
   [BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_V]
   [REAGENT:water:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER]
   [REAGENT:bucket:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][CONTAINS:water][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
   [REAGENT:plant:1:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BOOZE_MAT][UNROTTEN]
   [REAGENT:barrel/pot:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:plant:BOOZE_MAT][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel/pot][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   [SKILL:BREWING]

To make dwarves gather water in buckets, simply assign a flat area as a pond zone to be filled, dwarves will leave buckets with water near the water source zone.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2012, 11:32:46 pm »

Hey everybody!

I had a really bad scare this week, when I thought my computer had imploded. It wouldn't start up at all for several days, and I actually called the company and had a startup disk sent out, but when I tried using the disk I discovered that my computer was just faking, or in a temporary coma, or something...

Bizarre, and possibly indicative of some kind of sleeper virus I'll need to dig out, but atleast I didn't lose anything on my computer, and it gave me time to get my house cleaned, so my wife and I can better enjoy Valentines day (I'm making fettuccini alfredo from scratch, by the way...).

That's great info about the building sizes, arclance. Thanks!

Lead is in almost any soil, and is therefore very prevalent. It also varies in toxicity, depending on the person, or even community, in question, as well as the person's age. There seems to be some genetics at work, and maybe some build-up of tolerance levels. I've actually read that some biologists and other scientists find it strange that humans *don't* use lead as a mineral, since it's so similar to metals we do use, and so ubiquitous. Still, very unwise to mess around with.

Good job on the water reaction, Pancho Cachondo.
Have you tested it out, though? How does it work, in-game?

To go along with crossbows, I've decided I'm going to rework weapons in general to include several component parts.
Since I've already got tons of modded weapons done, or nearly so, this is work I can crank out by myself, with some satisfaction.

Here's the thread with the more basic mods that I'll be working from, so it's easier for me to find it on the boards, and also for anyone who's interested:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81681.msg2158708#msg2158708

Not all specific types of weapon will require every type of component. Larger, more complex/powerful weapons will require more components, and/or the individual components themselves will require more resources, and various materials, some harder to get than others.

Here's a basic list of required components for each weapon type, off the top of my head.

Axes: head, bit, spike, stirrups, haft, butt.
Swords: edge, blade, crossguard, hilt, pommel.
Maces: head, haft, hilt, pommel, blade, spike.
Spears: head, crossguard, shaft, butt.
Hammers: head, haft, spike, butt.
Picks: beak, awl, stirrups, haft, butt.
Flails: head, spike, chain, handle.
Crossbows: horns, stock, drums, windlass, cord, sight.

Because of the greater complexity of the weapons, this should actually encourage starting Fortresses to trade, since it may actually be a more efficient way to arm your soldiers, at the start of the game, than to set up a weapons industry. Growing Fortresses can then decide when to create their own weapons, when quality becomes more of a factor.

The weapons trade should remain significant for some time, however, in certain situations, since it should continue to atleast be faster, if not cheaper, to buy large volumes of weapons, for traps, training, etc. than it will be to make them, atleast for a while.

Armour can be handled in a similar but more simplified fashion, since the game currently doesn't support a huge amount of modding options in this area, but there's enough room to certainly make things interesting.

I've also decided to borrow an idea or two from Marcus Heitz's 'The Dwarves'. Really great book, by the way, that seems like it would appeal to many DF players. The English translation was good enough, infact, that I'm thinking about buying it in the original German, and puzzling my way though with the use of my nearly-forgotten highschool Deutsch.

Minor spoilers ahead:

Waterclocks, clockworks, hour glasses, bells, telescopes, mechanical statues and fountains, and other such items, while they probably wouldn't have any real use in the game, could be very interesting to manufacture, and could also add a lot of variety and uniqueness to our Fortresses.

Bells, for instance, could be made from a wide range of special alloys that would be easy to mod into the game, but wouldn't otherwise have much use.

These could all help expand the role of casting in the game, though, which I plan to make extensive modding use of.

A lot of these ideas are, naturally, peripheral right now. I want to expand the game from the foundation up, so I want to start simple, but I still want to get a lot of ideas down and recorded, so that this project can continue, and follow ToadyOne's expansions, until it feels as complete and well-rounded as the game deserves to be, as far as we as players can accommodate that desire.

Now that I know how flexible building sizes can be, I'll start doing a real write-up of what I want for buildings. There's going to be quite a few...

Is anyone prepaired to help make the new buildings a reality? It will require some modding experience, along with a decent amount of your free time and patience, since the size of this project is quite big, and still growing, and the buildings will be a major and continuing factor in that.

I promise I'll start you out slow, and I'll do my part to also learn more about how buildings are modded, and try my hand at it personally, when I feel confident enough.

I'm just hoping someone who knows more about modding this specific area than I do will step up and oversee this part of the project, as that will make my own education that much easier, while taking enough of the weight of doing the actuall work off of me, that I'll be better able to oversee balancing, and getting things in the arrangements that I want.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:31:06 am by SirHoneyBadger »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2012, 08:40:22 pm »

people doing the deeds for you might be difficult to come by but if you have difficulties I'm sure your questions will be eventually answered.

I dont want to double post on your weapon thread, but it'd be nice if you can comment on how the weapons work and their unique features.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2012, 02:55:17 am »

So far, all the weapons are craftable, and they work fine in combat, with mining/woodcutting tasks, and also fine, as far as the naming mods I've done so far, etc.   

I haven't fully balanced them out yet, though, as far as individualization. This is mostly because, when I did the mod, the new weapon values had just been added to the game, and I wasn't sure what exactly did what. Since then, I've gotten a somewhat better handle on things, and the DF Wiki has been updated with more information on the subject, so I should be able to polish the mod with a lot more confidence now than before.

If I don't get direct help with the buildings, I can still work on them, on my own. It'll take a bit longer to accomplish, but the thread's already been very helpful, as well as a good sounding-board. The best help is always good information, in any case. It saves a lot of trial-and-error makework, and helps with organization.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2012, 12:45:37 pm »

If you have problems with the buildings I can help you.
Here is a quick "How to Make A Custom Workshop" starting with Custom Workshop Workshop.
1. Design building appearance for each stage of construction using Custom Workshop Workshop.
Stage 0
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Click Covert to Raw
The raws for the appearance of the building in game will be generated in the text box on the bottom right.
You will get something like this.
Code: [Select]
[DIM:3:7]
[BLOCK:1:1:1:1]
[BLOCK:2:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:3:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:4:0:0:1]
[BLOCK:5:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:6:1:0:1]
[BLOCK:7:1:1:1]
[TILE:0:1:' ':' ':' ']
[TILE:0:2:' ':' ':' ']
[TILE:0:3:' ':254:' ']
[TILE:0:4:' ':216:' ']
[TILE:0:5:' ':254:' ']
[TILE:0:6:' ':246:' ']
[TILE:0:7:' ':' ':' ']
[COLOR:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:3:0:0:0:7:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:4:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:5:0:0:0:7:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:6:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:7:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:1:1:201:205:187]
[TILE:1:2:186:43:186]
[TILE:1:3:186:43:186]
[TILE:1:4:43:216:' ']
[TILE:1:5:186:43:186]
[TILE:1:6:186:246:186]
[TILE:1:7:200:205:188]
[COLOR:1:1:6:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:2:6:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:3:6:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:4:6:0:0:6:0:0:7:0:0]
[COLOR:1:5:6:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:6:6:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:7:6:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[TILE:2:1:201:205:187]
[TILE:2:2:186:43:186]
[TILE:2:3:186:43:186]
[TILE:2:4:216:43:199]
[TILE:2:5:186:43:186]
[TILE:2:6:186:246:186]
[TILE:2:7:200:205:188]
[COLOR:2:1:6:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:2:6:0:0:6:4:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:3:6:0:0:6:4:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:4:6:4:0:6:4:0:6:4:0]
[COLOR:2:5:6:0:0:6:4:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:6:6:0:0:6:4:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:7:6:0:0:6:0:0:6:0:0]
[TILE:3:1:201:205:187]
[TILE:3:2:186:246:186]
[TILE:3:3:186:246:186]
[TILE:3:4:216:43:199]
[TILE:3:5:186:246:186]
[TILE:3:6:186:246:186]
[TILE:3:7:200:205:188]
[COLOR:3:1:6:4:0:6:4:0:6:4:0]
[COLOR:3:2:6:4:0:6:4:0:6:4:0]
[COLOR:3:3:6:4:0:6:4:0:6:4:0]
[COLOR:3:4:6:4:0:6:4:0:6:4:0]
[COLOR:3:5:6:4:0:6:4:0:6:4:0]
[COLOR:3:6:6:4:0:6:4:0:6:4:0]
[COLOR:3:7:6:4:0:6:4:0:6:4:0]

2. Copy and paste the generated raws into a text editor.
They you will need to finish making the full raw entry for the new building.

Building Raw Files Start With
[OBJECT:BUILDING]
Then decided if you want to require architecture for the building to be constructed.
If you do start that buildings raws entry with
[BUILDING_FURNACE:RAW_NAME]
and it will be found in the b->e
If not
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:RAW_NAME]
and it will be found in the b->w
In both cases "RAW_NAME" should be replaced with the name you want to refer to the building as in the raws (allowed buildings in entity raws and associated workshops in reactions).
Then add
[NAME:Display Name]
[NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
where "Display Name" is the name of the workshop that will be displayed in game and NAME_COLOR determines what color the workshop name will appear in game.
If you want to make a magma workshop add
[NEEDS_MAGMA]
Then add
[WORK_LOCATION:2:4]
[BUILD_LABOR:labor]
[BUILD_KEY:NONE]
Where WORK_LOCATION determines where the dwarf stands when working in the workshop
BUILD_LABOR specifies what what job is required to build that workshop
BUILD_KEY specifies a keyboard shortcut that will appear in the build menu, use NONE if you don't want to assign a shortcut.
And last add the items you want to require for building the workshop like this
[BUILD_ITEM:2:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][MAGMA_BUILD_SAFE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
You can find more details on the workshop raws here on the wiki.
There is more info especially on the BUILD_ITEMS there.
You must add
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:RAW_NAME]
to the entity you want to be able to use that workshop or they will not be able to build it.
You add
[BUILDING:RAW_NAME:NONE]
to a custom reaction to make the reaction available at that building.
NONE works the same as "BUILD_KEY" to assign the reaction a keyboard shortcut or "NONE" to have no keyboard shortcut.
Reactions are explained in more detail here.

Here is an example of a full working workshop raw I made as a reference with the lines you have to add by hand in red.

I hope that helps you get started a little faster.

I completed my bloodwine mod if you want to add a use for the barrels of blood the caravans bring I can post it here in the next few days.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:33:19 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2012, 01:32:39 pm »

Farming ought to require more labor. Right now, a tiny patch can feed a whole fort. There ought to be some labor-intensive preparing that turns mass raw food stuffs into edible meals.
Maybe increase the growing time to between 2-3 seasons. You'd need bigger fields then. Change around above-ground crops to have growing seasons (plant in spring, harvest in autumn etc). Make some below-ground plants WAY slower, e.g. 18 months. They don't logically need to be stuck to seasons like above ground crops.

You'd really need to plan ahead then and work out what you're eating in the first year, also it'd slow down farmers getting levelled up.
Firstly, I'd like to completely rework all workshops, as well as most or all furnaces, and some other buildings.
Most workshops are hard-coded and cannot be modified, you can try and make replicas but they will lack many of the "standard" stuff. You can then ban the civilization from using the "standard" one. This won't work for many workshops e.g. Mill i think.
So I really need a lot of help with someone who is really experienced with modding workshops and processes, and who is patient enough to teach and answer questions, and help me understand modding a little better than I probably do right now.
Sure, i got pretty good with reaction modding, I'll join in assisting you on this. You can try creating "recipes" that the dwarves must follow for cooking. Make it so the plump helmets must be crushed into "plump helmet pulp" before brewing for example. It's easy to add other steps, you can create dummy plant or animal products which things have to be processed through. That's how I made my PVC / Kevlar mod. Just give me the steps you want and I'll modify what i did with the plastics thing.
A materials write-up for rock salt that allows it to be gathered (in bags or buckets, if possible) used to manufacture foods, preserve foods, and be traded, and overall to be very useful and valuable as a resource.
Already did that with rock salt, it gets milled, goes in bags and is a powder. Couldn't ever get the sea water thing working, i'm sorry to say. There doesn't seem to be a way to tell the dwarves to collect salt water in buckets. You can make a "water" in a reaction though that can be in buckets, vials, or barrels.

Hope this helps. I'll dig up my plastics mod for reference. Here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4375

This is the description:

- Added "soil mod" as a separate mod, allows you to collect Loam (for building/bricks only) and Peat (for fuel), or define your own types of clay soils.
- Added milling of Rock Salt to salt powder (to be turned into Hydrochloric Acid by the Alchemist)
- Added a "salt bush" crop you can grow to allow salt powder without rock salt.

0.3 :

- Combined down a couple of linear chemistry steps to simplify things (glossed over methanol, vinyl chloride and acrylonitrile for now)
- Reduced to 3 custom workshops (under furnaces menu btw)
- Electrolysis and Catalyst chambers now produce all plastic as flakes which get fixed up at the Extrusion Chamber
- Reduced need to use empty barrels in reactions (by refilling same barrel that had the reagent in it)
- related tasks now always happen in the same workshop, allowing full automation of all plastic production (assuming you don't run out of beer to process)
- no longer need to build all workshops, can choose between expensive/slow Catalyst (PVC/Kevlar) and fast/cheap Eletrolysis (PolyPropylene, Acrylic, Carbon Fiber).
- Trimmed to 4 relevant skills - brewer, strand, alchemist, lye maker

0.2 :

- Added 5 custom workshops (not decorated yet), using 5 skills (Brewer, Lye Maker, Potash Maker, Alchemist, Strand Extractor).
- Modded production process so that output ratios are tweakable, and have been tweak down by a factor of about 5.
- Made PVC leather dyeable.
- Added Acrylic yarn for synthetic woolly jumpers.
- Made most chemicals now buyable at embark, including Kevlar bars, armour and crossbows. Dwarves now embark wearing acryllic, carbon fiber and kevlar fiber clothes.

- Basic Chemical Pathways
- Synthetic Logs, Leather, Thread, and bars
- polypropylene, PVC, acryllic, carbon fiber and kevlar production processes

Feel free to borrow any of this but please credit me, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:10:21 pm by Reelya »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:13 am »

arclance, Reelya: Thank you both so much!  I'll do my best to get a first list of workshops posted this weekend, and then we can go from there.

I think I'm going to try incorporating atleast a lot of the current workshops into the game. I think they will represent small workshops, that you can use for basic goods to help get your Fortress the simple items it needs to survive the first few years.

From larger, better workshops, though, will come advanced goods, in terms of technology, sophistication, aesthetics, etc.

Along with the rest, though, I'm starting to think it may be important to put effort into making the competing entities, and roaming monsters, potentially more sophisticated, and somewhat more dangerous, since I feel that weapon and armour technology is central to dwarf culture as a whole.

Particularly since I'm planning (atleast for now) to severely limit access to ranged weapons, and probably only going to give our dwarfs crossbows--and some of the best crossbows will eventually outshine the ones currently in the game, even, if your Fortress really makes them a priority for a long time.

Casual military domination through overwhelming technology doesn't seem like it would be  that much fun, in an otherwise heroic fantasy setting.

I don't plan on going extremely far from the vanilla version of the game, but I'd like as many aspects of economy and trade, in a reasonably hostile fantasy world, to remain interesting for as long as possible, and defending your merchandise and treasury, and the lives of your "employees" is obviously an aspect of that. Besides, exotic beings can be expected to trade in exotic goods, and exotic beasts may sometimes be priceless treasures, in and of themselves.

Yes, this is a later side project, but good to think about and keep in mind for the future.

This is going to be quite a big project, but I think it'll be a lot of fun, and worth it in the end.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:41:08 am by SirHoneyBadger »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2012, 07:20:47 am »

Here's the first set of workshops I'd like modded in, as well as sizes, and requirements.

Since I want to try adding a variety of different tasks to other entities, for trade purposes, some of these shops won't be expected to be commonly seen in an "average" Fortress (luthier, varnisher, etc.), but I'll still make them available to be built, for variety's sake.
For now, I just want to see how well these work out, especially the workshops that require lots of items, and then I'll balance things out, and then go on to more shops.

These might get modified, in terms of resources, and required items, as I balance things out, and add more tools/components, so you can probably expect the list of requirements, and maybe even the sizes, to fluctuate as the mod developes.

lumber pit: 2x2 req: 2 cut stones, 1 mechanism, 1 giant axe blade.
sawmill: 5x8 req: 40 non economic building material, 2 mechanisms, 1 serrated disk. 
wood lathe: 2x4 req: 8 non-economical building material, 2 mechanisms, 2 metal bars.
carpenter's yard: 5x5 req: 4 logs
whittler's shop: 3x3 req: 9 non-economical building material, 1 table, 1 chair/throne.
varnisher's yard: 4x4 req: 4 stone jugs, 2 tables
luthier's shop: 3x3 req: 18 cut stones, 6 roofing slates, 2 mechanisms, 1 wooden/stone/metal beam, 1 table, 1 chair/throne. 
woodworker's guildhall: 6x6 req: 64 cut stones, 18 roofing slates, 12 chairs/thrones, 12 stone mugs, 3 tables, 3 wooden/stone/metal beams, 3 wooden statues.

I'll also need wooden beams as a reaction that can be manufactured by a carpenter, that gives you 1 wooden beam from 1 log, and that can be created (until we get these new workshops in place) at a carpenter's workshop.

A second reaction I'll need is roofing slates. These will again be a reaction that gives you 1 slate from 1 stone (any stone will do for now, even though they're called "slates" This might possibly change in the future.), that can be manufactured by a stoneworker, at a craftsdwarf workshop, as opposed to the cut stones, which are currently made by masons at masonries.

Let me know how this goes, and thanks for the help!

(I'll keep working on my projects in the meantime, but if this one doesn't get done, I'll eventually take it over, so the whole mod doesn't stall forever. If it gets done fairly quickly though, I can start testing it right away, and once I'm satisfied, I'll post more projects.)

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2012, 12:50:54 pm »

Here's the first set of workshops I'd like modded in, as well as sizes, and requirements.

Since I want to try adding a variety of different tasks to other entities, for trade purposes, some of these shops won't be expected to be commonly seen in an "average" Fortress (luthier, varnisher, etc.), but I'll still make them available to be built, for variety's sake.
For now, I just want to see how well these work out, especially the workshops that require lots of items, and then I'll balance things out, and then go on to more shops.

lumber pit: 2x2 req: 2 cut stones, 1 mechanism, 1 giant axe blade.
sawmill: 5x8 req: 40 non economic building material, 2 mechanisms, 1 serrated disk. 
wood lathe: 2x4 req: 8 non-economical building material, 2 mechanisms, 2 metal bars.
carpenter's yard: 5x5 req: 4 logs
whittler's shop: 3x3 req: 9 non-economical building material, 1 table, 1 chair/throne.
varnisher's yard: 4x4 req: 4 stone jugs, 2 tables
luthier's shop: 3x3 req: 18 cut stones, 6 roofing slates, 2 mechanisms, 1 wooden/stone/metal beam, 1 table, 1 chair/throne. 
woodworker's guildhall: 6x6 req: 64 cut stones, 18 roofing slates, 12 chairs/thrones, 12 stone mugs, 3 tables, 3 wooden/stone/metal beams, 3 wooden statues.
I can try to get started on some of the workshops but I have a couple of questions before I do.

1. Are your dimensions specified width x height or height x width
    a. Custom workshops cannot be rotated so do you want to make the workshop four times (ex. sawmill_N, sawmill_E, sawmill_S, sawmill_W) once for each orientation, or have one fixed orientation.
       If you want a fixed orientation I need to be absolutely sure which one you want for the non-square ones before I start.

2. I assume that you mean blocks when you are asking for cut stones but I want to be sure.

3. Do you want any of the workshops to require an architect to design them?

4. Do you want the color of parts of the workshops to be dependent on the building materials used (ex. microcline=blue)?

5. Is it ok if the woodworkers guildhall is larger than 6x6?  It might be hard to make it look good at that size.
    a. Should I make a stoneworkers guildhall and metalworkers guildhall as well?
        If you do want them how different do you want them to be from each other?
            Should they all have the same design but require their respective build material be different or have different designs as well?

These might get modified, in terms of resources, and required items, as I balance things out, and add more tools/components, so you can probably expect the list of requirements, and maybe even the sizes, to fluctuate as the mod developes.

It is very easy to modify the required items/resources and tools/components used in an existing custom workshop.
Modifying the appearance of a custom workshop is not hard but takes much longer especially if you change the size because it has to be completely remade in that case.

I'll also need wooden beams as a reaction that can be manufactured by a carpenter, that gives you 1 wooden beam from 1 log, and that can be created (until we get these new workshops in place) at a carpenter's workshop.

A second reaction I'll need is roofing slates. These will again be a reaction that gives you 1 slate from 1 stone (any stone will do for now, even though they're called "slates" This might possibly change in the future.), that can be manufactured by a stoneworker, at a craftsdwarf workshop, as opposed to the cut stones, which are currently made by masons at masonries.

Let me know how this goes, and thanks for the help!

(I'll keep working on my projects in the meantime, but if this one doesn't get done, I'll eventually take it over, so the whole mod doesn't stall forever. If it gets done fairly quickly though, I can start testing it right away, and once I'm satisfied, I'll post more projects.)

Right now custom reactions can only be added to the KILN, SMELTER, TANNER, KITCHEN, QUERN, MILLSTONE, STILL, CRAFTSMAN, and custom workshops so you will need to pick another workshop to assign the wooden beams reaction to.

Both the wooden beams and roofing slate should be made as tools so they can be created by their reactions.
I will start on those reactions while I wait for you input on the workshops.
Here are the tools and the reactions.
Tools
item_tool_econ_rework

[OBJECT:ITEM]

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_WOOD_BEAM]
[NAME:wood beam:wooden beams]
[VALUE:3]
[TILE:220] or 196
[SIZE:100]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[HARD_MAT]
[UNIMPROVABLE] - remove if you want to be able to decorate

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_ROOFING_SLATE]
[NAME:roofing slate:roofing slates]
[TILE:222]
[HARD_MAT]

Reactions
reaction_econ_rework

[OBJECT:REACTION]

reaction to make wooden beams
[REACTION:MAKE_WOODEN_BEAM]
[NAME:make wooden beam]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE] - change CRAFTSMAN to other building if you want
[REAGENT:log:1::NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_WOOD_BEAM:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:log:NONE]
[SKILL:CARPENTRY] - carpenter

reaction to make roofing slate
[REACION:MAKE_ROOFING_SLATE]
[NAME:make roofing slate]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE]
[REAGENT:stone:1:STONE:NONE:NONE:NONE] - for non-economic add WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_ROOFING_SLATE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:stone:NONE]
[SKILL:STONECRAFT] - stone crafter

If you want to limit the stones that are allowed to be used to make roofing slates you can add [REACTION_CLASS:SLATE] to the raws for the stones you want to use and add [REACTION_CLASS:SLATE] to the end of the REAGENT line in the MAKE_ROOFING_SLATE reaction.

Just add
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_WOODEN_BEAM]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_ROOFING_SLATE]
to the entity raws for each race you want to use them and generate a new world.

EDIT: Just noticed this.
If you want to have beams work this way in reactions/building construction you will need to use a beam tool like this and a reaction to make each type of beam that uses this tool for the product.
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_BEAM]
[NAME:beam:beams]
[TILE:220] or 196
[HARD_MAT]
Reaction for wooden beam
[REACTION:MAKE_WOODEN_GENERIC_BEAM]
[NAME:make wooden beam]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:NONE] - change CRAFTSMAN to other building if you want
[REAGENT:log:1::NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_BEAM:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:log:NONE]
[SKILL:CARPENTRY] - carpenter
Otherwise you will need three different buildings one for each type of beam (workshop_woodbeam, workshop_stonebeam, workshop_metalbeam).

Also the only way I know to only allow stone blocks, jugs, and mugs is to add [REACTION_CLASS:STONE] to the raw definition of every stone and adding [REACTION_CLASS:STONE] to the end of the line line specifying those build materials.
This is because metal and stone are both INORGANIC in the raws so INORGANIC, STONE, and METAL all select both metal and stone when specifying materials in the raws.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:24:42 pm by arclance »
Sigtext

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 01:27:54 pm »

For buildings that require alot of materials to build I suggest making it require a single "Assembly" of that building, only because all those building materials will clutter up the first page and maybe more depending on how much is used. (this is using the 't' command and viewing the building)

So a reaction that takes all those materials and spits out only one assemply makes the building look nicer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8