Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: maces vs. Warhammers  (Read 1764 times)

Cyco_Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
maces vs. Warhammers
« on: January 22, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »

The thought keeps me awake at night wondering which is better and what advantages they hold over eachother.
I tried the wiki but it was no help all it said was "Blunt weapons are good against armor." Does anybody know what is better maces or warhammers?
QuoteModify
Quote from: arzzult on Today at 02:47:41 am
Too far? This is the game where we slaughter the cutest animals we can find by the dozen for a rather meager amount of food. This is the game where coming up with a more complex and cruel way to kill something is a daily goal. This is the game where "child care" is locking a kid in a room with a bunch of rabid animals to scar them, sir, this is not far enough.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: maces vs. Warhammers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:28:31 pm »

Maces have a better chance of wounding, and since blunt weapons cumulate damage, you can guarantee the win in the long run if you're sufficiently skilled.

Warhammers on the other hand, have a higher chance of inflicting hits on organs, and is also better at damaging through armour.

Both suck at killing anything giant and armoured, so don't send them at Titans/Colossi/Steel FB's ;P

Still, smashing dragon skulls works too.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:20:13 pm »

Ive got a legendary iron mace. is win?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:22:16 pm »

Maces.  Larger weapons with more heft tend to do more damage.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Weapons

Warhammer is just a faster velocity xbow that takes two hands to wield, unlike mace and xbow, which only take one.

Sincerely,
Knutor

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 03:30:03 am »

Warhammer ... takes two hands to wield.

Wha-? Since when? I see that's what the wiki says, but can anyone confirm that?  Seems unlikely given they're half the size of maces.  Note dwarves sometimes use two hands to wield certain one-handed weapons when their other hand is free, but I'm 95% sure hammers don't require two hands and can be used at the same time as shields.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:59:05 am »

I've done a bit of arena testing some time before, and arena dwarves perform better with warhammers. Arena trolls on ther other hand fight more effectively with maces.
There must be a border strength value somewhere between average dwarf's and average troll's strength, a value at which maces and hammers are equally effective.
The question is whether a mighty dwarf has strength higher or lower than that!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:56:23 am »

My testing had the same results as nanomage's, at least for armoured combatants. Average arena dwarves seemed to do better with maces against unarmoured opponents than with hammers.
This may be even trickier when we take into account weapon material because there's no clear hierarchy for blunt weapons - silver hammers and steel maces may be better than steel hammers and silver maces.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 01:22:20 pm »

Copper is the second best for blunt weapons ;)

Also, Dwarves are easily capable of wielding warhammers one handed.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:41:36 pm »

mighty dwarf

Two dueling dwarfs in arena mode wasn't a variable.
STR wasn't a variable.
Beard length wasn't a variable.

I'll quote Cyco_Chicken's question again for rereading. 

Does anybody know what is better maces or warhammers?

Mace.

But a Maul would be best.  Look at the size of that thing, holy mackerel!  Has anyone ever even gotten a Maullord in gameplay, before, I wonder?

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 01:07:40 pm »

i shall test it in the arena.
ok with 200 a side,no skills, iron weapons, no armor but rope reed clothing.

the warhammer side won and not just by one or two dwarfs but by good 50+ dwarfs.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:28:46 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 01:30:03 pm »

Mauls, however, are large enough to require two hands for all but the largest of dwarves. This means that though they will technically do more damage, they will require your dwarves to abandon their shields in order to wield them. Also Maullords are just called Macelords in gameplay.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cyco_Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 03:14:29 pm »

I have finally figured out the arena mode and so now I will do some testing of my own but rather than mace vs. hammer I will test them against gobbos. 10v10 3 times dwarves with iron armor and silver maces vs. gobbos with what they normally have pieces of copper armor with varrying weapons and afterward the same test but with silver warhammers. I will be watching the time it takes to kill all the gobbos the fatigue the dwarves face and how many dwarves are hurt/killed. Also I will do no skills in the test. For fun I will do the same tests again against elves in wooden armor to see how these weapons fair against elves, and because I love seeing dead elves ;D
Oh and thx for the respones.
QuoteModify
Quote from: arzzult on Today at 02:47:41 am
Too far? This is the game where we slaughter the cutest animals we can find by the dozen for a rather meager amount of food. This is the game where coming up with a more complex and cruel way to kill something is a daily goal. This is the game where "child care" is locking a kid in a room with a bunch of rabid animals to scar them, sir, this is not far enough.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 03:30:10 pm »

the warhammer side won and not just by one or two dwarfs but by good 50+ dwarfs.

This doesn't really test anything! Because after a few dwarves die (which could be random - remember we're playing df), the numbers start becoming imbalanced, giving one side an advantage.

So do this again, 200 more times, and then we'll know.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 05:09:52 pm »

This doesn't really test anything! Because after a few dwarves die (which could be random - remember we're playing df), the numbers start becoming imbalanced, giving one side an advantage.

So do this again, 200 more times, and then we'll know.

or do it 4 more times and if they win each time, start decreasing hammer dwarf numbers
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 06:28:02 pm »

Even if your dwarves can wield them and have the strength to no swing them effectively, mauls are poor against armour because the contact area is very large for a blunt weapon and they're still going to be less lethal than edged weapons against pretty much anything else. Oh, and the wielders are likely to end up as pin cushions without a shield.
Pages: [1] 2