Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: maces vs. Warhammers  (Read 1762 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: maces vs. Warhammers
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 06:53:59 pm »

i did it once more, the same thing happen.
i use the number of dwarfs i did so that the loss of 1 or 2 dwarfs will not unbalance the sides to much.

mauls are crap like all blunt weapons are crap,give me a good steel battle axe any day.
no joke Pommel strikes are the way to go.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Cyco_Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 08:09:47 pm »

Sorry about not posting results yet on the tests I promised in the middle of the one when my computer crashed. May be a bit before I can do the tests.
QuoteModify
Quote from: arzzult on Today at 02:47:41 am
Too far? This is the game where we slaughter the cutest animals we can find by the dozen for a rather meager amount of food. This is the game where coming up with a more complex and cruel way to kill something is a daily goal. This is the game where "child care" is locking a kid in a room with a bunch of rabid animals to scar them, sir, this is not far enough.

Cyco_Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 10:46:12 pm »

I finished my testing. I did 10v10 5 times dwarves had iron armor and silver blunt maces then warhammers while gobbos had pieces of copper armor and varying weapons. They started 8 squares apart with little difference in dwarf casualtys (about 4 dead each time) the differance was that the dwarves killed the gobbos in an average of 20 seconds with maces while it took them an average of 28 seconds with warhammers. I timed this with a proper stopwatch.
QuoteModify
Quote from: arzzult on Today at 02:47:41 am
Too far? This is the game where we slaughter the cutest animals we can find by the dozen for a rather meager amount of food. This is the game where coming up with a more complex and cruel way to kill something is a daily goal. This is the game where "child care" is locking a kid in a room with a bunch of rabid animals to scar them, sir, this is not far enough.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 12:15:37 am »

I've never understood all of this science stuff. Why don't people just ask Toady which is better?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 01:46:07 am »

I've never understood all of this science stuff. Why don't people just ask Toady which is better?
Because Toady is sort of busy on developing the new stuff so he doesn't actually answer questions that often. Take the future of the fortress thread for example, he answers that what, once every month or so? And that is a thread that is actually designed for people to ask him questions in. Really just figuring it out ourselves works almost as fast as asking Toady does. Plus combine that with the fact that Toady doesn't necessarily know the answers to all of the questions (since many tests come about more as a result of something intended for other things, or as an unintended side-effect of two things Toady added, or because Toady is purposely hiding something from us), and it's really more efficient to just do the tests ourselves.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 02:54:05 am »

Dwarf Fortress is so complicated that even the creator doesn't know how it works. I love that.

Also, you're right, I would rather Toady work on the game than answer questions about how the game works.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 06:58:59 am »

I doubt Toady knows, the combat system cares more about modeling things accurately than superficial balance and still has a way to go.

The weapon model seems to concern itself exclusively with impacts and to ignore weapon control (range, easy of parrying, recovery time, how tiring it is to fight with a given weapon, effectiveness in constrained spaces, which attacks other than inflicting direct hits it lends itself to...). And even impact calculations are questionable in places - see whips.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 03:11:14 pm »

maces are more likely to break bones.
hammers are more likely to knock a foe down.
use all weapon types available.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 07:36:10 pm »

Yeah, from what I saw it looks like Toady just tried to model actual metal properties as well as he could and let the chips fall where they may in terms of 'balance' or what is 'best'.
Memento Mori
Pages: 1 [2]