Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extraction error?  (Read 742 times)

lazor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Extraction error?
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »

So I downloaded this game and extracted the files to a folder, and when I tried to run the game it said "index needs to be in data", so I moved it there, and now the game only opens in windowed mode, and nothing happens, it's just...black.

Also, I've tried redownloading from different mirrors and tried downloading the small version.

[ February 18, 2008: Message edited by: lazor ]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Extraction error?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

... I think you've done something wrong in moving that file. It shouldn't need moved.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

Hi!

I have never heard of this and I always played it out of the box. I would suggest the following:

First, try a different unpackaging tool. If you don't have another one, browse the web, there are lots of freeware ones around.

Secondly, in the directory 'data', I think, there is a directory 'init' or some such (the computer I play the game on is not connected to the internet, so I can't check right now). There should be too files, including one called 'init.txt'. Check whether all these settings make sense for your system.

Sorry, that is all that comes to mind.

Deathworks

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Sounds like when you extracted the files, you did something that ignores the directories they were packed with.

DF should have several different directories with different files in 'em.  Some settings you can set on Winzip, or some ways you can unzip things (selecting all files in Winzip and dragging them to the target folder) will cause them to all end up in one folder instead.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

lazor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

I'll have a look when I get back. The data folder is completely empty except some files named saves or objects with nothing in them.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »

you should have the following folders in the data directory: announcement, Art, Dipscript, help, init, initial_movies, movies, objects, save, sound, speech.
Along with the file "index"

All of the folders should have files in them aside from "movies" and "save".

What you need to do is make sure that your unZip program isn't extracting all files to the destination folder while ignoring the 'paths' (\data\objects\ being a path).

In winzip you do this by making sure "Extract relative paths" is selected in the "Advanced" tab of the "Extract To" menu.

If you're using another program, please say so.  :)

lazor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

I'm using Ultimate Zip, and I can't find this option anywhere.
Edit: Figured it out about 3 seconds after I posted this. I had to select "Show folder names"

[ February 18, 2008: Message edited by: lazor ]

SeiferTim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

I'm getting the same problem -  I replaced everything in my older Dwarf Fortress directory with the latest version - using winRAR to extract - and even though the index file is in the data directory, I keep getting this error.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

@Seifertime: Download a fresh copy of the zip and install to a clean directory.

Had that happen a while back to me too.

Updating or installing over a old Dwarf Fortress copy tends to do some odd things once in a while. Then just copy over region/save files after the install.