Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adding more Tiles to use for Tile sets?  (Read 1583 times)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding more Tiles to use for Tile sets?
« on: January 22, 2012, 01:08:54 pm »

Adding more Tiles to use for Tile sets?

Im not sure how many tiles there are now or how hard it would be to add more in im just asking if it is possible if it could be done at some point.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding more Tiles to use for Tile sets?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 01:20:20 pm »

There are 256 tiles, some of which aren't used by the game at all.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »

yes but there are not enough to make a tile for ever weapon and peace of armor. all all the other things that could use its own tile.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:23:16 pm »

yes but there are not enough to make a tile for ever weapon and peace of armor. all all the other things that could use its own tile.

...do you really need ALL those tiles? That would slow the game down a bit, especially if it's not in the same atlas.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 04:25:02 pm »

The first thing we need is the ability to assign tiles and foreground and background colours to all things in the game. The exact number of tiles needed can be determined afterwards.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 04:35:55 pm »

This is essentially Full Graphics Support, the 5th of the Top Ten in the Eternal Suggestion Voting. Main thread of the suggestion is here. It's one of the two top ten suggestions that wasn't explicitly added to the Dev page, which Toady addressed here.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:36:42 pm »

...do you really need ALL those tiles? That would slow the game down a bit, especially if it's not in the same atlas.

It almost definitely wouldn't slow the game down much at all, and in fact this is a very common suggestion with a lot of support.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:45:02 pm »

It almost definitely wouldn't slow the game down much at all, and in fact this is a very common suggestion with a lot of support.

If you have a tile for every object and they're not in the same atlas, it would have a minor effect on fps.

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 04:29:13 am »

If you have a tile for every object and they're not in the same atlas, it would have a minor effect on fps.

But why wouldn't you put the textures in an atlas?  That's like saying if you build a car with square wheels, it won't drive smoothly.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:15:04 am »

But why wouldn't you put the textures in an atlas?  That's like saying if you build a car with square wheels, it won't drive smoothly.

All of the LNP graphics packs don't have their graphics in a single file. Whether or not the game supports such a thing, I don't know, but it does slow down gameplay.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:34:48 am »

All of the LNP graphics packs don't have their graphics in a single file. Whether or not the game supports such a thing, I don't know, but it does slow down gameplay.

It doesn't. I tried putting all the graphics into one file and it crashes the game if the image is big enough.
As for your second claim, have you ran any tests to support it? I'm genuinely interested if one could lower the FPS by at least one frame because of multiple graphics files.
<3

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 11:44:23 am »

As for your second claim, have you ran any tests to support it? I'm genuinely interested if one could lower the FPS by at least one frame because of multiple graphics files.

Yeah that part is some serious citation needed.  I've never observed or heard of a slowdown from using creature graphics.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 06:43:46 pm »

Yeah that part is some serious citation needed.  I've never observed or heard of a slowdown from using creature graphics.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate "Use the default ASCII Graphics Tileset. Custom tilesets (such as Ironhand, Mayday, and Phoebus) can decrease your framerate."

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=97447

www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=38557

More files to load/larger files to load means more work for the program. I don't understand how that is not obvious.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 10:33:15 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate "Use the default ASCII Graphics Tileset. Custom tilesets (such as Ironhand, Mayday, and Phoebus) can decrease your framerate."

Which isn't cited.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=97447

Getting 1 FPS is qualitatively different from the minor effect you're claiming, and obviously a driver problem.

www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=38557

Just someone repeating an unsubstantiated rumor (and getting told they're wrong, no less).

More files to load/larger files to load means more work for the program. I don't understand how that is not obvious.

That entirely depends on the separate code paths and how well optimized they are.  There's nothing obvious about it at all.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:35:28 pm by Footkerchief »

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 01:16:34 am »

If rendering uses the graphics card and you had several hundred separate images, it should slow down gameplay.  This is because graphics cards are designed to draw in large batches, and don't perform well if you constantly switch textures. This is one of the main advantages of using sprite sheets instead of having each sprite in a separate file.

If you only have a few dozen images, this shouldn't have any noticeable effect on framerate.  I strongly doubt there would be any performance problems from adding more tiles to the tilesets.
Pages: [1] 2