Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worst Adventure Maps you've played on  (Read 5443 times)

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worst Adventure Maps you've played on
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:50:44 am »

So, as the title says, this is a thread to talk about all the horribly generated and broken Adventure Maps you've played on!

Don't hesitate to talk about any horrific embarks too!

I'll start.

The second time I played Adventure Mode was on a horrible laptop, which could hardly handle the generation process of the world. So, I start my adventure, with an unusual loading time. So eventually I'm doing quests and exploring, until I got attacked by a lion. I killed it and kept walking north, until the map REALLY started to go apeshit on me. To my surprise I see a massive flood of lava coming towards me and I started running like crazy, around the lava "circle". As I walked around it, the ground started becoming lined with strips of Underground Cavern soil, and shrooms, and I WTF'ed. About 5 minutes later, I started seeing huge holes in the ground with lava flowing down it and parts of underground caverns just hanging everywhere. I honestly thought the world was collapsing at that point. Anyway, as I continued exploring around the poop generation, I noticed the map got dark and underground cavern-style the more I went north. So I did that, and eventually I saw no lava, only huge holes with strips of underground cavern soil making thin bridges above them. I was navigating through the place until I saw the holy artifact, Adamantine. Of course, I got the message "Adamantine! Praise the miners!" in a big box at the top of the screen when I saw the adamantine, and I LOL'd. Of course, eventually I got killed by a forgotten beast somehow.

So, post your broken adventure maps that you've played on here!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Adventure Maps you've played on
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:25:52 am »

maybe this can be moved to adventure mode discusion?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:16:39 pm »

Sounds like you got a corrupted map file there. If you generate the world again and go to the same place then it will almost certainly act like a normal map there. As for me, the most broken I've ever got is if you go to the extreme north where the ocean itself is frozen over and then start walking north. Things get pretty crazy from there on until eventually your FPS dies to the craziness.

This probably should be moved to adventure mode discussion since its not really a "help me" type of question. I believe you can do this with options in the bottom right but I'm not quite sure about that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 01:17:32 pm »

+1

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:28:15 pm »

+1

How come your avatar keeps changing?

OT: The worst one? I don't think that map was exactly horrible, seemed pretty cool

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:48:37 pm »

Science.

Also, I do believe my most horrific one was the antman disaster. For those who might remember, I modded antmen to breed, and be able to be brought on embark as serfs/outpost guards.

The underground antmen could breed too.

I completely messed it up, and they live birthed.

Queue epic cavern breaching moment, releasing hundreds of antmen.

Fortress dies, and adventurers that wandered too near...

Also, I had a tendency to deliberately send adventurers there.

The other, would be the Zergling disaster, where I modded in, well, Zerglings. Think wolves, except 30 of them, and a single bite would instantly cause you to go numb, dizzy, paralyzed then unconscious - FOREVER. Providing they didn't just rip you to bits. If you wandered outside without anything beyond full metal plate and a retinue of peasants, death.
Still kept those Zerglings, only a "bit" nerfed ;P

Though I'm tempted to recreate the antmen apocalypse...

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:45:39 pm »

Science.

Also, I do believe my most horrific one was the antman disaster. For those who might remember, I modded antmen to breed, and be able to be brought on embark as serfs/outpost guards.

The underground antmen could breed too.

I completely messed it up, and they live birthed.

Queue epic cavern breaching moment, releasing hundreds of antmen.

Fortress dies, and adventurers that wandered too near...

Also, I had a tendency to deliberately send adventurers there.

The other, would be the Zergling disaster, where I modded in, well, Zerglings. Think wolves, except 30 of them, and a single bite would instantly cause you to go numb, dizzy, paralyzed then unconscious - FOREVER. Providing they didn't just rip you to bits. If you wandered outside without anything beyond full metal plate and a retinue of peasants, death.
Still kept those Zerglings, only a "bit" nerfed ;P

Though I'm tempted to recreate the antmen apocalypse...
Do it with Badgers.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 06:51:02 pm »

Modded in a combination of dragons, zerglings, bronze collosi, and rocs.

Think feathery giant fire-breathing, symptom-causing metal-skinned giant monstrosities. That bred like mice. And were about the size of a full grown dragon.

The mistake I made was to make them cavern dwellers. Breach the underground.....

'Your fortress has crumbled to it's end.'

So did most of the adventurers I sent there. Only time I actually managed to kill 'em was by getting a retinue of victims to draw fire away from me.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 07:38:01 pm »

Chryssalids, I thought I could take a few, I was wrong. Especially a whole town worth.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 08:28:42 pm »

Had an embark that started the wagon on a frozen major river, which promptly melted before a single dwarf could rush off the ice.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Darkfyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:58 am »

I got you beat. one of my very first embarks started above an underground fortress, which caused a cave-in over my wagon and everything plummeted like 80 z levels or so. After unpausing for about 3 seconds, "your fortress has crumbled to an end"
A gem-encrusted sock is perfect for ass-kicking.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 02:34:06 am »

I created an outsider character, starting only with a spear and dagger of low quality material. I was "lucky" enough to start in a snakeman/naga village (Genesis mod). They're hostile, preventing me from getting any jobs or finding any lairs to use as homrs. Then I had to fight them all off. With a crappy spear and dagger.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 02:46:15 am »

My many failures getting my cobald civ to function for adventurers. If the palyer tried to travel to any other vilalge than his home, they would attack him. And most of them were hunters by profession, so they'd be shooting at you from a mile away.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:55 am »

I created an outsider character, starting only with a spear and dagger of low quality material. I was "lucky" enough to start in a snakeman/naga village (Genesis mod). They're hostile, preventing me from getting any jobs or finding any lairs to use as homrs. Then I had to fight them all off. With a crappy spear and dagger.

That's better than spawning in the middle of the mountains as a dwarf. Seriously, that sucks. Especially when the only people around for miles are centaurs.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »

One kobold, in a city of pissed-off elves.
Pages: [1] 2