Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Jaws", Dwarven Mechanic  (Read 2378 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Jaws", Dwarven Mechanic
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:59:27 am »

Is it just me, or are biting attacks pretty hardcore?

I've had a mechanic get assaulted by a troglodyte; the trog triggered a stonefall trap, got a bit mangled, and then had a random mechanic jump him and bit him, latching on until my militia commander could behead it. (The Mechanic earned the honorary nickname "Jaws" from this endeavor!)

I've also had a forgotten beast, a huge garnierite poison-gas-spitting mite of all things, get killed in such a way. It got mobbed by my military, which pounded it into gravel but couldn't land a killing blow, until one of my dwarves who hadn't passed out from the gas jumped on and bit the thing's head off.

Yes a random recruit chomped a giant poisonous stone insect's head off, what of it?
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Jaws", Dwarven Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:40:59 am »

Awesome! I embarked with a prof. teacher/biter in the hopes of having lots of feral dwarf combat but have always had anything bigger than a goblin "break grip" after a bite.

Although this one time I got an awesome combat log where 3 of my guys bit a goblin in a row, one lower body, one left foot, one right foot. Then all three started shaking it around. I imagine it was like drunk, bearded dogs fighting over a ragdoll.
This is a known source of vexation.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:38:43 am »

My current for has a squad leader who will not fight conventionally, he beats carp to death with his shield, and has killed at least two goblins by tearing their arms off with his teeth, I think he is up to competent in Biter at this point.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:00:30 am »

Wait till you get your first legendary biter.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:24:11 pm »

do we have to go back to how dwarven teeth work again?

anyways... i actually managed to intentionally train a sqaud of legendary biters.
just put one grand master biter who showed up as a militia captain.

heres the bad part, the sqauds name is "the steel vices" or something along those lines.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 02:55:13 pm »

The best part about a biting militia is that even if they lose their arms are legs...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 02:57:21 pm »

The best part about a biting militia is that even if they lose their arms are legs...
Dwarves rolling potato sacks down ramps into sieges... For puzzled Goblins to realise only too late...

NOM NOM NOM

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 02:59:42 pm »

One dwarf whos a skilled biter against 5 goblins.

They were never seen again.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 05:23:25 pm »

I love how teeth are pretty much sharp tentacles at this point, im thinking of modding them as full grasping limbs so dwarves can grab knives with their teeth and even wrestle armor off!

just imagine the possibilities of the teethtacles!
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:24:38 pm »

I love how teeth are pretty much sharp tentacles at this point, im thinking of modding them as full grasping limbs so dwarves can grab knives with their teeth and even wrestle armor off!

just imagine the possibilities of the teethtacles!

Erm...

This will put fingers on each tooth.

Teethtacles do not want! DO NOT WANT! D:

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 06:24:14 pm »

I've had a mechanic get assaulted by a troglodyte; the trog triggered a stonefall trap, got a bit mangled, and then had a random mechanic jump him and bit him, latching on until my militia commander could behead it. (The Mechanic earned the honorary nickname "Jaws" from this endeavor!)

I've also had a forgotten beast, a huge garnierite poison-gas-spitting mite of all things, get killed in such a way. It got mobbed by my military, which pounded it into gravel but couldn't land a killing blow, until one of my dwarves who hadn't passed out from the gas jumped on and bit the thing's head off.

Yes a random recruit chomped a giant poisonous stone insect's head off, what of it?
Maybe your Dwarf is half-mantis and mated with it. Could be the reason why it wasn't affected by the gas.....

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 06:29:23 pm »

Maybe your Dwarf is half-mantis and mated with it. Could be the reason why it wasn't affected by the gas.....
Here at aperture fortress....

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 03:11:33 am »

My finest militia captain got sent out to deal with a goblin group that was holding my supplies at bay. His squad died in brave combat, but he refused to give, swamped by four greenskins. He couldn't get a good solid hit, but was unhit, until a goblin punched him.

At which point I figure he screamed incoherently, then bit the goblin's throat out.
Then bit off another's arm.

It was awe inspiring.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 07:03:00 am »

I request more research into teethtacles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 07:35:29 am »

I request more research into teethtacles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Creatures in DF are noodly things. Existing as a single planed string, teeth also behave as noodly tentacles and can grasp objects indipendantly on their own should the dwarf be in the mood. They would much rather however go for a full tentacle face grasp for the most part. Much like illithids actually.

Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: [1] 2