Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unusually Competent Elven Warriors  (Read 2864 times)

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unusually Competent Elven Warriors
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:47 pm »

I was poking through Legends mode on my most recent world, and I came across something unusual. My Dwarves's civilization were periodically being attacked by the Elves of the Rhythmic Fragrances, and in spite of vastly outnumbering the elves, the Dwarves were just barely keeping the elves back:

353 – Roasted War
   Rhythmic Fragrances declared war over the treatment of plants
   Summer 353 – Attack of Throwers. The Elves besiege
      1636 Elves (1283 losses) Led by Salo Conjuredprairie
      9154 Dwarves (9098 loses) Led by Obok Glazerift
   Elves defeated

408 – Molten War
   Rhythmic Fragrances declared war over the treatment of plants
   Spring 408 – The Fierce Clashes. Elves attacked in the Jungle of Ramparts.
      1608 Elves (1391 losses) Led by Eletha Rockbristle
      11328 Dwarves (8377 losses) Led by Nil Craftedgems
   Elves defeated

627 – Dangerous Conflict
Rhythmic Fragrances declared war over a dispute over truthfulness
Spring 627 – The Incinerated Battles. Elves attacked in the Jungle of Ramparts.
   1645 Elves (1406 losses) Led by Nisa Scrappedpacked the Rare Meanness
   11577 Dwarves (1133 losses) Led by Sibrek Tongsspirals
Elves defeated

857 – The War of Martyring
Rhythmic Fragrances declared war over a dispute over truthfulness
   Winter 857 – Crazed Assaults. Elves besiege Merchantsafe
      1697 Elves (1433 losses) Led by Nisa Scrappedpacked the Rare Meanness
      14057 Dwarves (13201 losses) Led by Oddom Lockedgirders
   Queen Bim Reclusiveanvil killed in a duel with the elf Ririli Mostthundered the Wooden Blood of Summits (over 1000 other kills)
   Elves defeated

These don't seem to be hippy elves I'm up against. Their princes Nisa Scrappedpacked the Rare Meanness alone killed over three thousand beings. I think I'm going to need a bit more magma for these guys.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:15:11 pm by Tov01 »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Unusually Competent Elven Warriors
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:46:04 pm »

The elves may be losing each of those wars, but the dwarves are clearly getting their asses kicked. I can't remember the last time I've seen such lopsided casualty figures  :o

Did you happen to mod these elves to use cotton candy or something?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:39:02 am »

pray to god, these elves are no your neighbors.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:24:07 am »

When it comes to worldgen battles, there are two things that come to mind that affect the outcome of skirmishes. First, is creature skill. Sometimes an individual happens to be born who, from the start, was destined to be a really big badass. Maybe it's from the start, maybe they start to get some invisible XP from each skill and at some point they differ so much from generic soldiers that no one can oppose them, whatever.

Second, is creature size. Elves and dwarves aren't THAT different when it comes to bodysize, but the advantage is for the elves here. Worldgen currently does not seem to pay respect to the tech of the warring civs, it's like both sides are armed equally, even if the entity files for elves has 'em using wood for everything.

Now that I think about it, a third option comes to mind too.
How widespread the civilizations are. Elves loooooooove forests and expand their influence much faster than dwarves(in vanilla anyway), so they'll usually have much more soldiers to throw into the grinder than dwarves. They may take massive losses, but eventually they will wear out the opposition, since elves do not die of old age and they can just whittle out the number of dwarves until there are no dwarves left to reproduce, or those that do will never see their kids grow up due to the marauding elven horde.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 04:30:46 am »

If the elves were losing more warriors but winning the battles, that third option might make sense. What we're seeing here is a roughly 8-1 casualty ratio in favor of the elves. Clearly, these elves are unusually badass.

OP: Build a fortress in the middle of these elves' territory. Raise an army of champion warriors, and do everything possible to make them attack. Clearly this situation calls for !!science!!, to see if they're still tougher than normal. Perhaps you'll even get a chance to slay that prince with 3k kills.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:13:55 am »

These elves aren't the type that call for magma. These guys call for a fair fight.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 05:31:14 am »

Elves have three things going for them:
1) Weapons don't mean shit in worldgen.
2) Immortality. The historical elves that are leading these attacks have probably been kicking ass and taking names since the dawn of elfdom. Their stats will be off the charts when you meet them.
3) Population. Elves are the equivalent of the Death Korps of Krieg, their battles are won through weight of numbers. This ties into point 2.

Point three is rendered moot in this situation but 1 and 2 still stand.
Elves and Dwarves are the same size though.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:35:57 am by NobodyPro »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:45:21 am »

These Elves seem like worthy enemies.

...Over 9000 dead Dwarves.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:51:33 am »

what you can make weapons
Elves have three things going for them:
1) Weapons don't mean shit in worldgen.
but whant you can make weapons out of does help a bit.
but most its Immortality leting the elves build up there exp.

size does help a lot if one is vasty bigger see megabeasts.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 12:20:58 pm »

I did give them slightly improved bows and arrows, but nothing that should have been too overpowered. There are other mods, but even with those, this is the first time I've seen such lopsided victories. Usually it's the elves getting slaughtered 8:1. I did give the standard races the [NO_EAT] tag (which was removed for game play) because I was tired of my dwarves and kobolds starving all the time, so that, at least, should explain the large dwarven populations.

Despite their badass warriors, they don't seem to be much larger than most other elven civilizations. The dwarves aren't their only victims, though. The nearby human civ has been having it even worse. (Although the Elves were using much larger armies on them, up to 6000+ elves). Funnily enough, in many of these human cities, the elf population outnumbers the human one, including one city that seemed to be composed of nothing but elves, which was completely wiped out.

A thought just occurred to me: Those army sizes include war animals, which the elves love to use, and they do live in the jungle. Maybe they're using war elephants or rhinos or something. Not sure that makes a difference in world gen, however.

Edit:
Also, I just realized that since the elves aren't starving in my game, more elves are living for hundreds of years and building up experience. I imagine that some of the historical figure elves must have quite high stats.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:25:17 pm by Tov01 »

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 12:35:07 pm »

The big thing is on how old your world is. A world running 400+ years is guarented to have badass goblin and elven fighters, by virtue of them continuing to get super-powerful as there states get higher thruout history.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 01:13:55 pm »

I did give them slightly improved bows and arrows, but nothing that should have been too overpowered. There are other mods, but even with those, this is the first time I've seen such lopsided victories.

Everything in the raws can change how the world gens... Dramatically.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 06:17:03 am »

what you have is the elves have bean imbuened with the power of spartans. they are badass altimitly lokking but looking cool and kicking ass while doing it. your dwarves however are more like the USSR

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 08:05:54 am »

You also have to remember is that every fight is a 1-1 duel, in worldgen.

So numbers mean nothing, The skilled elves will continue to kill dwarves unto they get unlucky and die.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 02:17:38 pm »

Yeah, I had heard about that, although I often forget it when looking at the world gen battles. I guess my imagination is going past what the code can do.
Pages: [1] 2