Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I can't find any Ore...  (Read 1742 times)

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I can't find any Ore...
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:51:14 pm »

I have 12 dwarves so far, and I can't find any ore. I've dug out twice my screens width using one of the exploration mining patterns, and all I've found is gems. I did buy some blocks of metal when the trader came for the first time, but all they had was 1 block of Billion, 1 Silver, and 1 brass, which is now in my stock of course. Am I just going to have to rely on the trader for metal now?

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: I can't find any Ore...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:55:11 pm »

dig deeper. also, this kind of thread gets more responses in the questions section.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:23:59 pm »

by deeper, i of course mean downward into the deep deep pits of the earth.
(mwa-ha-ha as needed)
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:30:39 pm »

thanks for the advice, I found a large cavern filled with Galena among other gems, which I can use to make lead. Unfortunately what I really need is armor, weapons and picks, which cannot be made with lead. The cavern also has 4 Draltha in it, hopefully they'll stay at their end of the cave.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:44:14 pm »

thanks for the advice, I found a large cavern filled with Galena among other gems, which I can use to make lead. Unfortunately what I really need is armor, weapons and picks, which cannot be made with lead. The cavern also has 4 Draltha in it, hopefully they'll stay at their end of the cave.

Galena, when smelted has a chance to produce silver, silver is a great metal for blunt weapons, but not really worth making sharp weapons out of.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 06:51:54 pm »

Galena, when smelted has a chance to produce silver, silver is a great metal for blunt weapons, but not really worth making sharp weapons out of.
An ore of lead, a good metal right there ;P

Not really good for anything, but making your fort out of the stuff is just awesome.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:27:01 pm »

Lead is also great for mugs, flasks, and pots for food storage!

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:29:10 pm »

Not really good for anything, but making your fort out of the stuff is just awesome.
Oh you mean if I want to build an above-ground fortress? So far all I got is a very large underground complex, I'll probably get around to that eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:29:49 pm »

Oh you mean if I want to build an above-ground fortress? So far all I got is a very large underground complex, I'll probably get around to that eventually.
For everything :D

Lead reservoir.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »

Well A big part of this game is making do with what you have. If you really need ore, re-embark or make a new world with much higher minerals.
Other wise, you should Make lot of crossbows, and bolts out of wood. Armour should be bone which (i think) is slightly better then leather. Plus you need to save leather for quivers and backpacks. Otherwise, request metal from dwarven outpost liason.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:07:19 pm »

If you have enough marksdwarves you don't need armor. A hail of bolts will do in a pinch.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 08:38:44 pm »

For everything :D

Lead reservoir.

And then toady implements lead poisoning. WOOHOO.

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 09:24:41 pm »

Well A big part of this game is making do with what you have. If you really need ore, re-embark or make a new world with much higher minerals.
Other wise, you should Make lot of crossbows, and bolts out of wood. Armour should be bone which (i think) is slightly better then leather. Plus you need to save leather for quivers and backpacks. Otherwise, request metal from dwarven outpost liason.
Where would I get bone from? my refuse pile? I have a trapper dwarf, which counts as my ranger (according to the 'z' menu anyway). But I can't seem to get him to hunt anything

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 09:52:48 pm »

Okay you'll probably want to put a pop cap at 40 or 50 so you don't have to deal with sieges before you find dat tetrahedrite.

First things first, find a sourced source of water.

Build a drainage sewer so if you ever need to flood your fort/have an accident it'll all drain out anyway.

Flood your used up gulag to make tree farms to supply bolts

Make lots of bone/wood xbows till your churning out exceptional/masterpiece(aka legend+5)[Sell crap]

Send marksdwarf squad to shoot wildlife.

You'll want full time tanners since at this fragile stage you need all the leather you can get. Look up the cheap full armor workup and make suits for your marksdwarves

Now back to the ore. From the sound of it your map will likely have a high concentration of gold, galena, and tetrahedrite. Dig down and out and you'll find it. Go find magma and get your magma forges up. you should find at least some tetrahedrite on the way.

Back to harvesting the fourth iron ore. Get your ditch, raising drawbridge, and walls up. Set up your civ alert burrow so you can withdraw safely. Then work towards putting cage traps on the inner entrance to your fort using exceptional+ mechanisms to catch any sneaky gobbos. Dig out a dodge trap(just -1 Z-level if you don't want to risk killing your own dwarves) Dig out an arena to pit gobbo soldiers after stripping them. This'll train your marksdwarves.(Thieves and animals typically escape) Forge silver warhammers. Lots of silver warhammers and lots of spiked silver balls

Load up your traps, get some hammerdwarves training to get a rough defense going. You'll want to get a milled/processed food industry going to afford ordering LOTS of ore, bars, instruments, toys, anvils, etc. Have a custom stockpile to accept crappy metal goods right by your forge. (And yes this means no just throwing "armor" stockpiles around. You need Specific stockpiles only accepting exceptional+ in your armory. Clothing goes to depot for improvement and trade, bad weapons and armor go to be melted. between the dodge trap, 20-40+ marksdwarves and cage traps you'll be fine until you find lots of tetrahedrite/melt down and buy what you need for better. I've lasted well over a decade with nothing but bone, wood and salvaged gear and you can too!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »

galena is awesome.
first off, you can make GREAT blunt weapons with silver, and OK edged weapons.
armor is gonna kinda suck, but as long as your military practices with shields alot, the armor will be less of an issue as they'll block most attacks.
i dont even armor my dwarves, just give em a good shield and a good weapon.
Pages: [1] 2