Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lucrative Industries  (Read 3212 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lucrative Industries
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 11:14:09 am »

So if I'm understanding everyone right...

It's sort of expected that dwarven economies revolve around food, not gold and stone?

Also... While I've got a number of dwarves that can plant.. I've only gone *one* with the labor enabled... One planter, supporting 3/4ths of my fort industry.

It just seems kind of lopsided somehow.
The current implementation of DF makes it very easy to run an export arrangement solely around food. Heck, you don't even need to grow your own food - just buy out the raw materials taht caravans bring, cook them on the spot and sell it back to them for profit. "Why yes, good sirs. You risked your lives to travel across months' worth of hostile and outright evil lands to get your food cooked for you. Have a safe trip home!"

If we're talking mid-term changes, the economy re-write will hopefully mean if you only focus on one industry then you will saturate the market and the price will crash... though whether the fact that food is a perishable will be considered is up in the air. Though hopefully the re-write will also mean you can arrange for really huge caravans to show up at your fort for bigger trade.

If we're talking long-term changes, I expect the 'hill dwarf' settlements will increase the food upkeep of your fortress assuming they don't grow their own food. I assume you'll have to supply food for military expeditions should you send them so that too will increase the demand on food, even more if you don't want to produce the equipment for those expeditions on-site.

Whichever way, I don't think stone goods will ever be that high on the 'pecking order' for lucrative industries. It's a garbage disposal route, not a profit route unless the economy re-write models sudden spikes in demand for random goods ("there is a fashion boom in quartz crafts this year"). If we don't count food, then the lucrative industries are metals, gems (includes glass) and textiles.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 11:30:55 am »

So if I'm understanding everyone right...

It's sort of expected that dwarven economies revolve around food, not gold and stone?

Also... While I've got a number of dwarves that can plant.. I've only gone *one* with the labor enabled... One planter, supporting 3/4ths of my fort industry.

It just seems kind of lopsided somehow.
The current implementation of DF makes it very easy to run an export arrangement solely around food. Heck, you don't even need to grow your own food - just buy out the raw materials taht caravans bring, cook them on the spot and sell it back to them for profit. "Why yes, good sirs. You risked your lives to travel across months' worth of hostile and outright evil lands to get your food cooked for you. Have a safe trip home!"

If we're talking mid-term changes, the economy re-write will hopefully mean if you only focus on one industry then you will saturate the market and the price will crash... though whether the fact that food is a perishable will be considered is up in the air. Though hopefully the re-write will also mean you can arrange for really huge caravans to show up at your fort for bigger trade.

If we're talking long-term changes, I expect the 'hill dwarf' settlements will increase the food upkeep of your fortress assuming they don't grow their own food. I assume you'll have to supply food for military expeditions should you send them so that too will increase the demand on food, even more if you don't want to produce the equipment for those expeditions on-site.

Whichever way, I don't think stone goods will ever be that high on the 'pecking order' for lucrative industries. It's a garbage disposal route, not a profit route unless the economy re-write models sudden spikes in demand for random goods ("there is a fashion boom in quartz crafts this year"). If we don't count food, then the lucrative industries are metals, gems (includes glass) and textiles.

Porcelain would probably still be a profitable "stone" industry.  Industrial infrastructure similar to that required for producing glass products, but a more limited raw material.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 11:48:06 am »

hey... i get tons of stuff out of the stone industry... sure i have a glass industry just so i can cut the glass into gems to set into the stone crafts, but it works.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 02:32:44 pm »

If you have any amount of silver on your map, then you're set. Silver spiked balls / serrated discs have a base value of 1260, and over 15k when masterwork. They're also a good bit more valuable than prepared meals, so while food is an easier industry, it's not worth nearly as much as a halfway decent metal industry.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 03:21:28 pm »

Metalworking industries produce the highest value trade goods, especially trap components.
The best stone export for value is mechanisms.

Fun with traders:
- Decorate goblin clothing with cloth images so it loses the import status, then sell it.
- Import the most valuable gems that the caravan can provide, decorate items with them, then sell for a profit.
- Import valley herb, produce golden salve in cheap green glass vials, and sell for massive profit.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 03:32:47 pm »

Metalworking industries produce the highest value trade goods, especially trap components.

Yep. Access to candy means you can buy an entire caravan with just one piece of this, no matter what the quality is. The base value for it'd be 37,800 Urists.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 03:56:43 pm »

Hell, even masterwork steel serrated discs sell for loads of money. When Toady eventually gets around to the Army Arc and we can establish settlements beyond our first one in the same game then I'll be more inclined to make candy serrated discs for trade, but for now I'm sticking with garbage stone and bone crafts.
Pages: 1 [2]