Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lucrative Industries  (Read 3214 times)

kionmaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lucrative Industries
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:50:28 pm »

So I have a small set of farms. Five, six squares. One for each type.

When the fort's first starting, food stays pretty scarce.. But as more dwarves move in, my planters get more experienced... and food? Not a problem.

I'm running over with food.

I don't have problems with caravans.. Just sell them a stack (maybe two..) and I've bought out the ENTIRE CARAVAN.

Have another industry? Why. Selling food is the most lucrative, isn't it?

But wait.. aren't dwarves supposed to be renowned for THINGS BESIDES COOKING?

>.<

I have over 30 raw meats, over 30 raw fishes, almost 400 plants I'm trying to process one way or another, and only FIVE HUNDRED prepared meals... and a hundred units of Boooze!

With three shops. One planter, one cook, one brewer, one miller, one spinner, and about 120 other dwarves.

So... Methods for keeping the mad food industry in check? i.e. how to balance it so that I make enough food for my dwarves (and booze!) - but not so much that I can ignore all other industries in favor of food?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Lucrative Industries
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:56:55 pm »

Don't have so many farms in the first place would be my strongest piece of advice. Personally when I'm playing vanilla DF I only use about 5 1x4 farms for all of my food later on in most games. Another thing you might do would be to consider taking your more experienced growers and training them in another industry as well. If all of your growers are spending half of their time making blocks in a masons shop, then that is half of the time that they aren't planting more food. Also you could potentially turn off your farms for part of the year, so only grow plump helmets for 3 seasons instead of all four and you can greatly cut the production levels of your farms.

The final piece of advice would be to go and check out the modding section. There are several mods out there (shameless self promotion here!) that have worked to try and rebalance the farming system to be a little less lucrative either by decreasing prices or by increasing growth times/limiting seasons for growing food.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:16:27 pm »

That is not nearly enough booze. Trust me, when something big happens and your brewers are separated from the still/killed then you're going to wish you had a thousand excess units of booze.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:41:02 pm »

<snip>

>.<

I have over 30 raw meats, over 30 raw fishes, almost 400 plants I'm trying to process one way or another, and only FIVE HUNDRED prepared meals... and a hundred units of Boooze!

With three shops. One planter, one cook, one brewer, one miller, one spinner, and about 120 other dwarves.

So... Methods for keeping the mad food industry in check? i.e. how to balance it so that I make enough food for my dwarves (and booze!) - but not so much that I can ignore all other industries in favor of food?

Thats nothing, my latest fortress currently has...

In other words, a lot.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:45:25 pm »

That's it? That fort must still be pretty new if your booze stockpile isn't even over 5k yet.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 06:46:30 pm »

That's it? That fort must still be pretty new if your booze stockpile isn't even over 5k yet.

I stopped brewing for a few years.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 06:53:26 pm »

But wait.. aren't dwarves supposed to be renowned for THINGS BESIDES COOKING?

The correct terms are feast, booze and party.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 09:01:47 pm »

I forget who said it but you don't need less farmland you need more storage. Put custom stockpiles for booze and food by your dining room, barracks(by the fort entrance), by the forge living quarters, hospital, gulag, cavern checkpoints, Panic room, control room, and then theres the excess prepared meals stockpile by the depot for trade. More is a good thing. Training the processing skills {Milling, Processing, Wood burning, Spinning, etc.} can only be beneficial. Set up stockpiles for mass manufacturing dwarven syrup. Quarry bushes are important for those 10k-20k+ roasts. Large dimple cup farms will help employ lots of millers as well as keeping all your cloth dyed. A robe made and decorated with all exceptional dye, cloth, and image from pig tail fiber can reach the latter 2k's.[Custom stockpiles to hold them near the depot] Trade for leather and you'll push it higher probably other things to improve it as well. No offense but 120 dwarves can quickly devastate your food stores if a siege gone bad or a disease epidemic halts production. If you REALLY NEED to do another industry then work up a stockpile system to manufacture gold or better statues with quality metal and gem studding.

Tl;dr Get more Dwarven wheat, longland grass, and a whole hell of a lot more quarry bushes, sweet pods, and whip vines. Your milling Marksdwarf hauler-reservists demand it!

kionmaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:43:37 pm »

So if I'm understanding everyone right...

It's sort of expected that dwarven economies revolve around food, not gold and stone?

Also... While I've got a number of dwarves that can plant.. I've only gone *one* with the labor enabled... One planter, supporting 3/4ths of my fort industry.

It just seems kind of lopsided somehow.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 09:45:54 pm »

No, dwarven economies run on stone goods with a brand new quality modifier, "worthless."

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 09:52:06 pm »

I wouldn't say expected. Just easy. Food is simple, and can be sold for thousands. But honestly, your primary export can effectively be just about anything, so long as you have the materials.

And yeah, it's a known bug feature that farms can be just a tad over productive, and is expected to be worked on in the future.

kionmaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 10:00:18 pm »

Just a smidge, eh?

Heh.

I don't really have that feeling of an oppressed, close to the edge fortress clinging on for dear life and desperately trying to make enough craft goods to buy item X they really need.. It's more like, first caravan.. *bamf* I'll buy all your steel, gems, and all the food you have, oh, and all the logs you brought,mmm.. Yep, all the leather too. Here... have these five meals in trade! *trader is ecstatic* awh hell, here, take the other 12 stacks as an offering to your leader, I don't need 'em anyway.

It makes me wonder just how far a fort could with just 1x1 plots... Hmm. I might try that next. ^^ Since I can't get any fewer planters without having none.

lawl.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 10:12:56 pm »

Current fort has 41k of drinks and 19k of prepped meals.

You don't know anything.

Also i am an obsessive compulsive buy-all-edibleser. XD
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

kionmaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 08:39:29 am »

I don't believe that I, at any point in time, intimated that I knew everything.

What I do know is that after five years, I've got a fort worth 1.5 million urists, (I think I'm saying that right ^^), a population of 194.. and I finally got a baron! whewt.

I also have three serrated iron disc traps, and so far.. My military has been mostly redundant. My goblinite is made of troll fur.

*shrugs* I suppose that's what I get for dropping the fort down where it started the screen after a new world gen.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 10:14:53 am »

Dwarven economies are not about trade, comparative/absolute advantages and making things to be sold or used. It is about making shiny, precious things and putting them on a big shiny, precious pile for no real reason, then having it stolen by a dragon.

Related question, the seeds are no longer produced once there is 200 of them, can you lower this amount to something more reasonable? Like, 20?
Pages: [1] 2