Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A few misc. problems  (Read 1318 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few misc. problems
« on: August 13, 2006, 08:09:00 am »

-Cages don't seem to have stockpile places, my dwarves just leave them there even though there are free furniture and finished goods stockpile places.
-There is no silver short sword order in the manager's job list.
-Tantrum throwing dwarves that just fist fight kill. Couldn't they just do below-yellow injuries? :\
Right now injuries are more like diseases, one dwarf gets injured, goes into tantrum, kills someone, causes 2 injuries and so on it spreads. :C

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few misc. problems
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:11:00 am »

quote:
-Cages don't seem to have stockpile places, my dwarves just leave them there even though there are free furniture and finished goods stockpile places.  

Its animal.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:22:00 am »

Ah, thank you for explaining that. :]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 10:53:00 am »

Ah, the silver weapons are likely messed up since it was just bolts until recently.  I don't think silver weapons do anything special incidentally :)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 10:55:00 am »

another problem:

I just had a elven caraven show up without a baron around.

DakaSha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 11:02:00 am »

quote:
Ah, the silver weapons are likely messed up since it was just bolts until recently. I don't think silver weapons do anything special incidentally

how do metals affect the weapon besides thier worth?

is it planned that silver weapons for instance will damage werewolves and the like? would definetly be cool

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 11:08:00 am »

I think metal dam/block modifiers are something like:  133% steel, 100% iron, 75% bronze, 66% copper.  Other stuff like wood/whatever are 50%.  The obsidian swords are also something ridiculous like 133, but they were supposed to wear down very quickly (and don't), so that's exploitable if you like.

Silver weapons could have special effects, though I'd like to think of how I'm going to store universe metaphysics before I get into that kind of thing.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 11:40:00 am »

How about certain types of creatures having a weakness to silver? What's the current damage modifier on silver, anyway? Or is it unwieldable at the moment?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 11:45:00 am »

It's 50%, which is the default.  You should be able to wield it...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »

A little off topic (then again, it's hard to be off topic in a "misc problems" thread), but silver is much too brittle in reality to be useful for a weapon.  A silver weapon would have to refer to a silver-inlaid or silver-plated weapon of some other metal, or else it would be nigh useless in combat.

Silver bolts would work just fine, though that implies the bolts are made of something generic and tipped with silver, and that would open up a whole complicated can of worms for other bolts (which presently just take all metal, all wood, or all bone, if I recall).

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 02:59:00 pm »

Well, 50% places silver on par with wood in terms of effectiveness, which sounds about right to me...

But players should probably have an option to 'plate' things, so they can create actually usable silver or gold-plated items.  (Gold plating wouldn't be particularly useful, but it would at least make a weapon more valuable.)  Hrm, players could even plate wooden items like siege engines with iron, steel, or some other hard metal in order to make them sturdier.

Of course, you'd need a specific interface to choose what you want to plate, something that is already on the list for decorating something with bone and so forth...

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 06:32:00 pm »

I've found another small problem. When making a farm plot, the dwarves move the stones there to the nearest normal tile, which often happens to be the door. This causes the door to be blocked open and can cause an accidental flood when flooding the room. This can be fixed my removing the door and placing it back in, but it's rather annoying. Couldn't the dwarves make sure they're not leaving the stones on doors? :S

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 07:07:00 pm »

I wanted to be able to do inlays and runes and things -- wonderful phrases in the dwarvish language and so on...  might tie in to magic eventually.

Right now, when moving stuff off a building, they search for a square they can walk through.  I've noted to have them prioritize them a bit.  I guess it's a matter of preference whether they'd place it on a door if that's the only square.  It would either suspend the job (if they don't move it), or you'd eventually store it in a pile or use it (if it moves to the door).

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 07:10:00 pm »

I doubt a door would ever be the only square, though, since there's usually a hall on the other side.  If I understand it correctly, the problem right now is that they're using the door rather than take one step outside, which is the cause of all the recent jammed-door-flood issues.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 07:14:00 pm »

It's true of a lot of farm designs, but a popular one seems to be a rectangular room with a floodgate in one wall and a door in the other, and you can just fill that with one giant plot with only one outlet.
Pages: [1] 2