Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A new player's thoughts  (Read 919 times)

sammyboy0120

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A new player's thoughts
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:20:32 pm »

I'll start by saying that this game has successfully secured itself as the best game I have ever played, and that is a long list indeed. I've been using the quickstart guide on the wiki, and just survived my first titan and goblin siege. The good news is I came only losing 9 dwarves. The bad news is the blood, severed limbs and corpses of the fallen littered across my entry hall are producing miasma, and I haven't figured out how to remove it yet (I've only been playing for less than a week). Any suggestions on what to do with 9 caged Goblins, including their leader? I'm feeling vengeful, they killed my favorite axedwarf, and nearly all my animals (I did manage to save my puppies though).

Are there any other good tutorials for fortress mode (preferably written, not videos)? I just feel like what I've learned from the quickstart guide isn't getting me far enough.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Re: A new player's thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:36:46 pm »

Welcome to the forums! First, any future question should be directed to the gameplay questions subforum http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=7.0 Found here.

For the bodyparts: You'll want to set a refuse stockpile outside p -> r  then dwarves will gather stuff from inside and put it there.

I've been away for awhile so I'm sure someone can link you a new tutorial. However i think one of the best ways is to just try things out. Look at the wiki tro find something you want to try and make a fort to practice it. That usually how i learn stuff like that.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:28:40 pm »

This tutorial is for the previous version, but it's well presented (a play-along), easy to follow and most of the information is still relevant - http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/

However going by what you've said you're past the point where this tutorial will be useful. My advice is to use the forums and the wiki.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:53:41 pm »

If the body parts are dwarven, you'll want to have your masons create some coffins, build them somewhere, and inter the deceased there.

My favorite method of disposing goblin POWs is to chuck them into a deep pit with spikes at the bottom. Thieves are trickier because they'll try to escape. For those, I like setting up a hall of weapon traps, building the captive's cage at one end, and remote-dismantling the cage with levers so he flees into the traps (and putting my military at the other end, just in case).

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 03:59:45 am »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o