Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How often should I prepare meals for my dwarves?  (Read 1606 times)

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How often should I prepare meals for my dwarves?
« on: January 20, 2012, 06:14:41 pm »

I have 12 so far.Also, I got a message saying I ran out of plump helmet spawns. Even though I have some when I go to z then Kitchen. I'm guessing I should prepare meals or something, that's the only solution I can think of anyway

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How often should I prepare meals for my dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:22:07 pm »

If your fort is fairly new (you don't have many seeds) and your farm plots are large, you may have planted all your seeds already. wait until they come up or eat some plump helmets.
When you prepare plant foods, they don't leave seeds, so you may have prepared all your plump helmets and "used" all your seed supply. go to the cavern and gather plants or trade for some if there's a caravan handy. Cooking is the about only way that you'll run out of seeds so be careful. you can use the 'z' menu to tell your chef not to cook seed containing plants...
prepared meals are only useful for raising the value of food -- dwarfs will eat almost anything raw. So you don't ever NEED to cook anything, but its a great way to increase the happiness of your fort. some plants and plant materials need to be cooked or brewed before they are consumed, but unless your basing your entire food supply on those, you shouldn't run into any problems. consult the wiki for details.

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:29:17 pm »

Your dwarves will eat most everything raw, you don't have to prepare meals. That said, prepared meals do give happy thoughts if you have a decent cook.

I usually turn cooking off on plants and have my stills running on repeat so I have plenty of booze, when food starts getting scarce I just butcher all my animals (or hunt with my military) and cook 'em up.
This is a known source of vexation.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:48:48 pm »

4 Turkey hens and 1 turkey gobbler will supply your fort with enough eggs to feed your fortress by themselves, add in booze and flour for "roasts" and you'll have an indefinately sustainable cooking industry that will never use up a single seed.  once you've got a cook with decent skills this will also allow you to buy up every caravan effortlessly trading weapons armour and metals for pancakes.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »

I start cooking as soon as I can. I haven't stopped cooking in my current fortress, but I did turn off my farms when I reached 12,000 prepared meals, any 4 of which can buy out the entire dwarven caravan.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:38:28 pm »

I usually let the fisherdwarves supply food for cooking, and save all the seed bearing plants for brewing.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:04:30 pm »

4 Turkey hens and 1 turkey gobbler will supply your fort with enough eggs to feed your fortress by themselves, add in booze and flour for "roasts" and you'll have an indefinately sustainable cooking industry that will never use up a single seed.  once you've got a cook with decent skills this will also allow you to buy up every caravan effortlessly trading weapons armour and metals for pancakes.
I can personally verify that is is true. It is ridiculously easy and maintenance free. Flour and quarrel bushes and eggs, i think, produce teh most expensive stacks. When the caravan comes, I just sort by value and type "roast" and sell all but the top 10 or so stacks. This ensure that if something eats in my fort, it eats very well.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:49:17 pm »

I'd disallow cooking for brewable plants as soon as possible, since cooking kills the seeds and brewing preserves them.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 12:05:20 am »

In the early game, I'll sometimes order some lavish meals to be made, when I'm not swimming under thousands of plump helmets.

Later, I start a full-time cooking regime and use other things to brew, usually sweet pods.

Cooks are great. They give happy thoughts if they make good food and they break down many small piles of foods into single piles allowing for more efficient storage it seems.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:05:56 am »

The only downside to eggs is that they have to be cooked first. But generally, a single dedicated cook makes this a VERY profitable business :d

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:09:40 am »

After the fortress' first year, you could probably just put "Prepare lavish meal" on repeat and never have to worry about it again.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 07:17:16 am »

After the fortress' first year, you could probably just put "Prepare lavish meal" on repeat and never have to worry about it again.

Tried and true method, that.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 07:41:01 am »

As long as you have rock pots set to repeat.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 09:58:24 am »

Non-stop production of masterwork snake eggs roast usually works for me.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 12:17:08 pm »

As long as you have rock pots set to repeat.

I never store prepared meals in pots or barrels. If the stack is higher than 10 it doesn't get stored in a pot anyway, and with egg-booze-some meat and a good cook, the stacks quickly go up to 20, 30, 40... the highest I saw was 63 (lots of elephant meat and eggs in there)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2