Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF SEO/ Search Prominence  (Read 979 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
DF SEO/ Search Prominence
« on: January 20, 2012, 01:25:19 pm »

No, I am not an incredibly well embedded spambot. :)

If I searched "Dwarf Fortress" 10,000 times into Google, would that make it more likely to show up in a search? Same thing with "Dwarf Fortress fun game," "Dwarf Fortress free game," and "Dwarf fortress computer game."

I've heard of SEO and "Crawler" programs, but does the frequency of actual phrases typed into search engines have any bearing upon how often certain websites come up?

Moreover, if we got 1000 people to copy and paste those phrases into Google 100 times (for 100,000 searches), would that help Toady be more prominent in search index results? I would think the number of times a given phrase is searched  would have something to do with search results?

Or, am I out in left field more than usual?

Thanks for indulging my curiosity,
Truean
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:28:49 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: DF SEO/ Search Prominence
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 02:12:38 pm »

...You could try google searching 'search prominence,' I bet you'd be able to find something :P

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:45:01 pm »

...You could try google searching 'search prominence,' I bet you'd be able to find something :P

O I knew :P. I did look it up but it was all Greek to me.

The information gathering was only one of the reasons I posted it here. The other reason was to see if anyone else was interested in this as an idea. Further, what is the feasibility of the idea and how exactly would it work if we could do this as a non monetary way to help Toady by manipulating search engines.

I was hoping to snag one of those computery type people's interest, because even after researching the topic myself (as you may have guessed I did), I still don't fully understand it.

I don't get it myself, but this whole search engine thing is a system. Is there a way we as users could manipulate it in Toady's favor? :) :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:51:00 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 02:59:07 pm »

All of this can be automated of course, which is why search engines are turning up so much crap these days.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:38:37 pm »

I don't think Dwarf Fortress is really in need of any SEO... at the end of the day, the best SEO is simply having a site with good content that a lot of people want to see or talk about.

If you do a Google search for simply the word "dwarf" right now, Dwarf Fortress is already the third result -- coming in after the Wikipedia articles for "Dwarf" and "Dwarfism".  That's pretty amazing, really.

Besides, Google has a stated policy of punishing attempts (usually by unscrupulous websites or scammy SEO consultants) to manipulate or game their algorithm by either removing the offending sites from their search results entirely or moving them way *down* in the search results.

So yeah, please don't do anything like this in an attempt to "help" Toady or Dwarf Fortress.  It's already doing great in search engine results and is easy to find, and any attempts at doing something like this would likely have the opposite result.

--nomad_delta

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:38:32 pm »

I don't think Dwarf Fortress is really in need of any SEO... at the end of the day, the best SEO is simply having a site with good content that a lot of people want to see or talk about.

If you do a Google search for simply the word "dwarf" right now, Dwarf Fortress is already the third result -- coming in after the Wikipedia articles for "Dwarf" and "Dwarfism".  That's pretty amazing, really.

Besides, Google has a stated policy of punishing attempts (usually by unscrupulous websites or scammy SEO consultants) to manipulate or game their algorithm by either removing the offending sites from their search results entirely or moving them way *down* in the search results.

So yeah, please don't do anything like this in an attempt to "help" Toady or Dwarf Fortress.  It's already doing great in search engine results and is easy to find, and any attempts at doing something like this would likely have the opposite result.

--nomad_delta

See, this is why I'm glad I posted and got the advice of someone who knows what they are doing before I did anything. It's a lot like my field where a layperson will research some legal issue out of a book [shiver] or even worse off some internet site somewhere [shiver, shiver] and then try to be their own attorney. It doesn't work and nothing in those books say anything about very important concepts like the one above. Consider me warned off.

Thank you,
Truean

Please don't quote me.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:59:18 pm »

Yeah if you really want to help DF out basically just donate and get other people to donate, but don't like, start a chain letter or something.   Be cool.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:55:40 pm »

Yeah if you really want to help DF out basically just donate and get other people to donate, but don't like, start a chain letter or something.   Be cool.

"Go play Dwarf Fortress! If you don't resend this note 7 times, then you will have bad luck for the rest of your life and goblins will eat your friends."
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:58:33 pm »

duckduckgo has Dwarf Fortress listed first under its "Meanings" section, and fourth under its actual search results.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 02:46:04 pm »

"Go play Dwarf Fortress! If you don't resend this note 7 times, then you will have bad luck for the rest of your life and goblins will eat your friends."

Aww come on, what I was suggesting wasn't a chain letter or anything. I just didn't realize there were negative consequences to manipulating search engines....

... which is why it's a good thing I asked first before doing anything.

Good intention; bad plan that is not going to be done now that I know better. Simple. Besides, it seems unnecessary anyhow. Ask before doing = good. Then they can tell you "no" if you shouldn't.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:37:11 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 05:34:16 pm »

Sounds like !FUN!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 06:14:26 pm »

Google doesn't like it when you spam searches like that. They'll notice if you search hundreds of times from the same address.

Also, why do you want to?

That's because Google knows that your computer usually looks at Dwarf Fortress stuff. If your grandma searched it she'd get different results.
[Signature]