Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Grim Topic] Toady's death.  (Read 3229 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: [Grim Topic] Toady's death.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 08:12:59 pm »

What would happen if it appeared to be foul play, and you all destroyed the flash drives, and then it turned out it wasn't?

That would suck. I think a better method would be to have some sort of safe in a bank, or something, with copies of the flash drives with explicit instructions to release the source code once the murderer has been brought to justice. He'll get life in prison, anyway, and I don't think it would be fair to punish the community just becase of the actions of a single mentally ill individual.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:14:58 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 09:30:02 pm »

Jeez, get a little bit famous and all of a sudden you have all these security issues to worry about. Blegh! Time to get a secret hideout and randomize your movements.

I am sure that Toady One, being a true Dwarf, has some hidden giant axe blade traps to ensure his safety. ;)
Hopefully he doesn't decide to sleep on one of them...

PS. Kruor, you may want to change the topic title, because someone may think that Toady actually died.

The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 09:59:06 pm »

A flash drive containing the entire source code is hidden deep in the bowels of the earth, and can only be reached with the aid of a geological laxative.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 10:06:14 pm »

Jeez, get a little bit famous and all of a sudden you have all these security issues to worry about. Blegh! Time to get a secret hideout and randomize your movements.
PS. Kruor, you may want to change the topic title, because someone may think that Toady actually died.
[/quote]
When I first read the tittle I thought he was dead. My heart dropped through my feet.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:09 pm »

Dammit, this thread makes me wish tontines were something I could do in Adventure Mode. It would make for an EXCELLENT start scenario...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 12:43:56 am »

Of course, there are thousands of Toady clones stored in an underground bunker beneath Washington state. So it would be pretty tough to permanently destroy him.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 03:58:06 am »

Of course, there are thousands of Toady clones stored in an underground bunker beneath Washington state. So it would be pretty tough to permanently destroy him.

Those bunkers are actually scattered all around the world, each having 1000 clones, except one, which only has 999. It is the bunker the current Toady One came from.

They have been there from the beginning of the earth...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 07:14:32 am »

Those bunkers are actually scattered all around the world, each having 1000 clones, except one, which only has 999. It is the bunker the current Toady One came from.

They have been there from the beginning of the earth...

But... Which one is the original? D:

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 08:25:50 am »

There is no "original". There is only Toady One.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 08:40:42 am »

No.

Toady One was created in the depths of time, when a mad toad combined elves, dwarves, goblins and humans in an attempt to create the ultimate being. Needless to say, it succeeded. Toady then proceeded to introduce religion, the alphabet, weaponsmithing, burial, booze, the Internet, computers and demons into the world. He then made thousands of clones, all containing his powers, but not realizing it. They are known as 'superhumans.'

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 08:54:36 am »

Friedrich Nietzsche once met one of them.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 08:57:13 am »

And as a result, he became famous for the philosophies that he was gifted with by the clone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 11:35:05 am »

And if all of them... Suddenly disappeared?

DOOM.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 02:00:59 pm »

As a reality check, I can't help but point out that it's absurd to even consider a flash drive with the source code stored safely in a bank vault, or in a particular trusted friend's possession, or wherever. The source code changes every single day, the one and only place an up-to-date version exists is on Toady's pc (and, hopefully, an external backup of some kind he keeps in the event of sudden and catastrophic hard drive failure).

But to keep in the spirit of the thread, my prediction: Toady will come down with an incurable illness (perhaps Bonitis) and get himself cryogenically frozen for a thousand years until it is curable.

"Well my faithful fans, I have good news, and bad news. The good news is that I will be able to finish the game after all - unfortunately, the next patch may be a little delayed.."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:02:50 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 02:10:33 pm »

The the entire fanbase also gets frozen, until DF is finished :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3