Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [Grim Topic] Toady's death.  (Read 3224 times)

Kruor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Grim Topic] Toady's death.
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:44:52 am »

Before the fanboys cut my head off: a friend of mine recently died. He and i had been working on a mod project for another game (just casually, nothing hardcore) and extreme sadness aside i just feel like the project isnt worth finishing now.

So im just curious if Toady has ever discussed an "end-game" plan with the community about what happens if something bad happens to him. One might expect Threetoe would continue the project, although ive gathered that he simply isnt the programmer Toady is. I guess its just.. interesting (?). Nobody likes discussing death insurance but i would hope some provision is in place for someone to take over so everything wasnt in vain.

Speculating: Im sure Toady has some very skilled, fellow programmers in the community he is friends with who would take over.

So, yes. Just curious. Im sure Toady would want his lifes work to fall into safe hands.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: [Grim Topic] Toady's death.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:51:29 am »

I seem to remember that he would either

a) have all work of DF destroyed by some needlessly complex deadman's switch

or

b) It goes opensource
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:57:31 am »

Rainseeker, Threetoe, and I are all signed into a tontine.  Each of us have a flash drive with one third of the source code on it, and only when all but one of us have suffered our untimely demise will the game go open source.

Kruor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:59:37 am »

Lol im sure the hallowed Source is left in the hands of a lowly (and fellow) Bay Watcher.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:14:42 am »

In all seriousness, he's said before that the game will go open source, and he's provided for that in his will. He's also said that it will not go open source if someone kills him in order to get the code released. I don't know the specific language or whether a random mugging would be sufficient to prevent the game from going open source.

However, hopefully none of this will matter for quite a long time.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 05:17:01 am »

If there's any suspicion of foul play we're to destroy our fragments of the source code.

Kruor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 05:18:23 am »

Ah cool. Nice to know he is that devoted to include it in his will.

He probably has a flash drive somewhere in his flat with it on  ;D

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 07:20:48 am »

Ah cool. Nice to know he is that devoted to include it in his will.

He probably has a flash drive somewhere in his flat HQ with it on  ;D
FTFY
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 07:53:23 am »

Yeah when I first started playing DF and i learned it would take another 20 year I had a flash back to RObert jordan.
With all the medicine improvements and recent healthcare thing which i hear are going on in america I'm fairly sure that Toady will live to finish the game, Unless he get something uncurable like Corprus or Bonitis. If he get's sick or injured, I'm sure we'll have a donation drive to help pay his medical fees. Beyond that and the measures toady has already taken there's not much we can do.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 08:01:17 am »

Unless he get something uncurable like Corprus or Bonitis.

I laughed.

My only regret, is that I have.... bonitis.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 09:07:22 am »

In all seriousness, he's said before that the game will go open source, and he's provided for that in his will. He's also said that it will not go open source if someone kills him in order to get the code released. I don't know the specific language or whether a random mugging would be sufficient to prevent the game from going open source.

However, hopefully none of this will matter for quite a long time.

Jeez, get a little bit famous and all of a sudden you have all these security issues to worry about. Blegh! Time to get a secret hideout and randomize your movements.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 02:11:04 pm »

But what if someone goes all davinci code on everyone?

THE CODE MUST BE PROTECTED

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 04:36:45 pm »

Please, don't mention that horrible, clumsy attempt on a pseudo-historical novel here. Even a passing reference makes my hair stand, and that feels really creepy since I am bald.

No to the topic of Toady's death... I gave it a thorough consideration, and I believe there is only one solution. Yep, and it is - ascention to Godhood. Plain and simple. Failing to achieve that, lesser status like Chinese Immortals would be sufficient:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Immortals

Apparently, after passing certain trials, it can be done. The bad news is that their number is fixed to 8, but some of them may have... and accident one day? Perhaps one involving magma, or a dehydrated leg caused by a vicious bee sting?

Once Immortal, the thousands years long path to the 1.0 version won't be disturbed by mundane earthly woes like age, diseases, love, wars, end of the world due to fossil fuel depletion and following economic collapse, etc.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 04:42:16 pm »

As Elves and Goblins have shown, being immortal doesn't make you immune to death.
[wait wut]

Also, enough with the criticisms :P it was a reference to someone deciding to kill everyone, thus losing TEH SECRUTZ forever.

Everyone.

Then we'd be doomed.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 06:10:41 pm »

THE CODE MUST BE PROTECTED

I'm sure Toady regularly updates his code on the back of the original US Constitution. If not, we're all in trouble.
Pages: [1] 2 3