Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aesthetics Assistance Anonymous.  (Read 1911 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Aesthetics Assistance Anonymous.
« on: January 20, 2012, 02:37:53 am »

So, I'm looking to discuss some aesthetics for my tomb. Named a dwarf after myself and my closest dwarf-fortress-playing mates, blah blah blah the usual. I'm thinking of paving the floor in silver, making the sarcophagus out of candy, putting a statue behind it of myself of, say, platinum, and putting statues along the wall of said mates made out of gold. BUT i'm not sure I want that palette in the tomb, all the bright blues and yellows. It is at the top of an enourmous tower. Anyone got some insight? I need prohibitively expensive materials, remember!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aesthetics Assistance Anonymous.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:37:08 am »

Most, if not all my dwarves in the military has at least a chest and a cabinet in their tomb. I also add slabs with the names of the goblin that dwarf has killed. The more kills it has the more slabs I need. I like using marble for the slabs, and olivine (or something green) for the coffin, chest and cabinet. Lastly I seal the tomb with a wall, forever sealing the dead dwarf inside.

Kruor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:54:18 am »

Most of my fortresses are grim and dark. I tend to take a more Fun path (no easy seige killing set ups) so Death is a fairly regular event.

Obviously then i have to make a choice about carving out an entire [housing] area and a seperate [tomb] area. This is what i did for years. Eventually though i thought to myself "why not just entomb the Dwarf in his room?".

So basically when a Dwarf dies, i remove the bed from his room (average dwarves get a 3x3 room with cabinet, chest, bed, statue and fully engraved) and replace it with a well made Sarcophagus. The Dwarf is then entombed and the room is sealed.

In one fortress which lasted some 500 years i probably had about 500 dead all buried in their homes. Almost enough to bring a single manly tear to my eye. Anyway the point i was going to make is that i do this with my Nobles too. I typically carve out a large room 10x10? in a hall closer to the Grand Hall and kit it out to a Royal Room. Nobles typically live longer than most others so they tend to accumulate special items (ie stuff made out of materials they like, you know how it is). And so it doesnt make sense to me now to bury them anywhere but that room. When they die the bed goes and a Candy Sarcophagus gets put in its place. They can then spend the rest of time surrounded by the items they loved and an engraved record of their deeds.

Oh and i do other special things. Lets say the commander of an invading army gets trapped in a cage, well i place the captured enemy leaders in the room of the current leader of my fortress. One particularly epic King of mine went to his grave surrounded by Great Beasts, Goblin Super-leaders, Werewolfs and all sorts. There is nothing more satisfying to imagine the creatures spending the rest of time trapped in the tomb of the guy who beat them. Pwned

Edit: and specifically my lesson is then to not make a fancy room for the dead, inter them in a tomb that MEANS something to them. Something Dwarfy and heroic.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:56:29 am by Kruor »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:43:13 am »

Those are.... fantastic ideas. I like Kruor's alot. However, the tower is already built. The idea is that this is the first outpost. Literally. Year 2. Now it's year 30, but that's besides the point.

I need something for future dwarves to walk by and see. When the dwarven civilization is gone, someone needs to rediscover the most ancient dwarf-city of Dellsack (lol) in the frozen north and see the tomb of the first dwarf countess rising above the landscape. Also, this world is getting passed around between some people. Adventerer mode needs to be fleshed out =)

I like the idea of filling the room with such things as slabs and whatnot, though, as well as cages... that's definately getting done.

I hadn't considered green.... That'll work real nicely, though I don't have an ince of marble. =(

::EDIT::
I am a self important bastard, and need expensive things in my tomb. So sue me  :P :P :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:58:10 am by dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Kruor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:59:22 am »

Well a good aesthetic rule to go by is to fill the room with the same stuff the walls/floor is made of.

Having a room made with gold floors and walls is awesome. Filling it with golden desks, chairs, chests, statues, etc is also cool. Now you could put in a candy sarcophagus (which would certainly help it get to Royal status) but the random blue on gold might seem.. odd (atleast on my tileset).

Of course if the walls and floor where candy.. well :D

If you are only with a fresh embark (comparitvly) and dont have access to this stuff yet then i'd leave it. No point starting a project before you have what you want to make it from. Otherwise you'll just have this huge tower made of useless rock and it wont feel as important to you. Cant go wrong with a nice marble tomb though. Easy to aquire and putting gold/candy items on it is nice to look at. I prefer marble as a building material over everything.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 07:07:03 am »

Well the floor is paved in silver, same as the walls.. Sarcophagus should be platinum then. Think imma use something blue for the statues.... clear glass shows up blueish on my tileset. Yes.

If only I could have golden or candy slabs..

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 02:09:25 pm »

Every chest and cabinet have to be in opposite corners to their corresponding rooms, other than that, I find the London metropolis look is just awesome >:£

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 01:51:34 am »

Welp, she and her single squad of handtrained dwarven axemen weilding and wearing nothing but iron just held a one tile bridge against the clown car, whilst crossbows shot the clowns from either side. She did not get a single kill, though =(

How to commemmorate in tomb?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:16:30 am »

Welp, she and her single squad of handtrained dwarven axemen weilding and wearing nothing but iron just held a one tile bridge against the clown car, whilst crossbows shot the clowns from either side. She did not get a single kill, though =(

How to commemmorate in tomb?

Build a tomb, set to burial. Since you can't give tombs to dead Dwarves, engrave memorials, and set the room to be a memorial room that encompasses the burial receptacle.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:00:58 pm »

Wish you could write things onto them, like "This here slab is about demons" or something.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 05:52:39 am »

Wish you could write things onto them, like "This here slab is about demons" or something.

You might if you've had lotsa run ins with the clowny kind :/