Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Wait, fuck the what, I don't even know.  (Read 16104 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, fuck the what, I don't even know.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 08:28:47 am »

Whatever stuns them would probably also be capable of killing them...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 08:45:01 am »

I micromanage my bone industry for this reason. When I want something decorated, the bonecrafter goes into a sealed room and gets his supply of bones delivered to him via drop chute. My bone piles are separated into "commonly found bones" and "rare bones" so I can train up bonecrafting without wasting the rare bones and I don't waste huge bone stacks when decorating with bones.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 08:53:08 am »

I micromanage my bone industry for this reason. When I want something decorated, the bonecrafter goes into a sealed room and gets his supply of bones delivered to him via drop chute. My bone piles are separated into "commonly found bones" and "rare bones" so I can train up bonecrafting without wasting the rare bones and I don't waste huge bone stacks when decorating with bones.

Well designed burrows are quite efficient too - limit your crafters to a food & drink stockpile, the dining room, the bedrooms, their workshop and the related stockpiles, and here you go.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 09:39:27 am »

Well designed burrows are quite efficient too - limit your crafters to a food & drink stockpile, the dining room, the bedrooms, their workshop and the related stockpiles, and here you go.
Not enough control. I specifically choose which item I want decorated and I specifically choose which species' bones to decorate them with. The latter could be done using burrows with a somewhat tedious "one species per pile" bone stockpile system but there is no way to filter for e.g. "only statues of this deity" in stockpiles.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:34 am »

Not enough control. I specifically choose which item I want decorated and I specifically choose which species' bones to decorate them with. The latter could be done using burrows with a somewhat tedious "one species per pile" bone stockpile system but there is no way to filter for e.g. "only statues of this deity" in stockpiles.

Whereas I, good sir. Just press the BONE DÉCOR BUTTONÉ and set it to repeat.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 11:29:22 am »

Same. Never bother to micromanage my industries. Of course, I never decorate items anyway, just export *sheep bone bolts[5]* to the goblins.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 02:13:23 pm »

a  major industry, bone bolts for goblinite
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 02:41:40 pm »

Sell it to Elves.

Now, can anyone tell me what mistake has been made here...?

Yeah.  There's no elf bone on it.

Quick question on the goblin bone.  Dwarves aren't supposed to butcher sentients, but this thing has some goblin bone on it and my own dwarves have been making stuff like bolts out of goblin bone.  How does that work?  Do they wait for the flesh to rot of the dead parts and use the skeletal remains?  I got goblin parts all over near my fort entrance and if I can use them to decorate my useless crap trade goods then it at least clears the stuff out.  And there's some malicious glee to be had in shooting goblin bone bolts at the next seige that arrives.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:52:44 pm by orius »
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 03:04:11 pm »

Severed body parts of intelligent creatures turn into craftable bones/skulls when they decompose. If you want a good supply of goblin/elf/human ivory, a trap corridor filled to the brim with the best serrated discs you can afford/produce is the way to go.

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »

Severed body parts of intelligent creatures turn into craftable bones/skulls when they decompose. If you want a good supply of goblin/elf/human ivory, a trap corridor filled to the brim with the best serrated discs you can afford/produce is the way to go.

If I remember correctly, the body parts can't have grasp parts or things that won't rot like hair. So arms, legs and heads are a no-go unless you cut the hands and feet off first. So, yeah, discs and anything choppy is the way to go.
Best method I've found is a 10+ fall onto glass spikes. They explode into arms, legs, and head (dump those) and leave a nice mutilated corpse in the spikes for your haulers to carry off when it rots into bone. For whatever reason I've noticed they won't use the last bone in a stack.
This is a known source of vexation.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:26 pm »

Gonna double spoiler this to keep your screen from filling, :P.
The combat logs of sending him (the captain of guard migrant) to attack with his trusty chestnut training sword.

Spoiler: Loadsa' Pics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Even Moar Loadsa' Pics (click to show/hide)

TOTAL SUCCESS

Edit: Not again.... *sigh*

Double-Edit: Note how this sword also has a picture of the deity of metal on it, whilst the sword does not contain any metal, I think there is a conspiracy going on in my fort.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:01:33 pm by terkiey »
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?

Lazy_lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:51 pm »

I like how Avuz is contemplating on both items, like the crafts dwarf knows the god would be all "WTF, where's the metal?"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 07:54:38 pm »

For whatever reason I've noticed they won't use the last bone in a stack.
They will. A stack of one starts in the bone pile, gets turned into bolts (for instance), and remains as a stack of one that goes on the refuse pile with noses and heads and hands and other non-craftable parts. I checked this out by manually following the bone stack with the camera and checking the contents of the workshop. A stack of more than one acts normally until it's down to one bone.

I have two refuse piles: one for craftables and one for non-craftables. What happens is that severed limbs start on the non-craftable pile, are moved to the craftable pile once they rot down to bone, and the 'ghost' of the last bone in the stack ends up back on the non-craftable pile.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 08:15:44 pm »

I like how Avuz is contemplating on both items, like the crafts dwarf knows the god would be all "WTF, where's the metal?"

Nononoo, dwarfs aren't smart enough for that.

They see a god and think:

HMMMM LETS CARBE A PICTURE OF HIM DOING SOMETHING, OUT OF MY DOGS LEG!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 11:00:56 pm »

I look at it this way: wood and stone crap isn't worth much, so if dorfs want to shove bone all over it, it'll slowly increase the value, and get rid of all those piles of bone I got sitting around.

I let them use shells too.  My fisherdorfs dredge up a lot of mussels.

I don't want to go out of my way to harvest too much goblin parts, but the weapon traps near the entrance of my fort slice and dice rather effectively.  So I've got a surplus.  I think the dwarves have a single goblin bone remaining in the stockpile near a craftdwarf shop, I might mark that for dumping and maybe have them deposit it under the atom smasher.  There's also a troll horn on the pile, I'll have to see if they use that too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:06:25 pm by orius »
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6