Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 57013 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #330 on: October 26, 2012, 12:23:33 am »

Yup DK light.

Falling asleep last night i got to thinking:
Is there ANY way GoD is better than DK2?
And the only thing i could come up with was z-levels, and even then ,the maps are so small x-y wise that a DK2 map feels bigger.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #331 on: October 26, 2012, 09:17:53 am »

Played it for thirty minutes. Gave up when I realized you can't make constructed walls or floors look like stock ones whihch are built facing the dirt walls. What s the point of so much customization it if can't be employed properly to make things look uniform?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 26, 2012, 09:57:01 am »

Yeah there are quite a few things that bother me.

First the pace.  It's slow.  Really slow.  There should be more dwarves at the start and more dwarves max when you upgrade.

Second is resources.  Other then food and wood, they can only be gathered by digging, which is fine.  Except for the fact that you run out, and it gets ridiculous.  There needs to be a way to get gold without digging for it.

Annoyingly small maps.

Some other things...

Just needs tweaking.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 26, 2012, 10:07:22 am »

There needs to be a way to get gold without digging for it.
1. Plant trees
2. Collect wood
3. ???
4. Profit!

You can just grow a lot of trees in order to sell the logs to the kingdom. But it becomes boring after a while.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 26, 2012, 10:28:29 am »

As mentioned before, you can also sell the stuff you find in caves.

edit: Cannot really call them caves, caverns maybe? Nah.. what CAN we call them?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 26, 2012, 10:55:46 am »

Played it for thirty minutes. Gave up when I realized you can't make constructed walls or floors look like stock ones whihch are built facing the dirt walls. What s the point of so much customization it if can't be employed properly to make things look uniform?
One of the developers posted on the Steam forums saying this was one of the most frequent requests and that they are working on it.

Falling asleep last night i got to thinking:
Is there ANY way GoD is better than DK2?
And the only thing i could come up with was z-levels, and even then ,the maps are so small x-y wise that a DK2 map feels bigger.
I'm not sure the Z_levels are even a plus. Keeping everything on one level has it's charms.

I wish lower levels from the one you were looking at were darker to make it clearer what's going on. Some of my more hectic forts are turning into Escher drawings.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 26, 2012, 11:00:48 am »

One of the developers posted on the Steam forums saying this was one of the most frequent requests and that they are working on it.

I thought they said they were looking into it, which isn't quiet the same.
It is nice to see the devs being so active on the steam forums and commenting on peoples suggestions though, gives me some hope this game will be salvaged :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 26, 2012, 11:36:35 am »

Even if you can construct floors and walls, you still run into the problem of extremely small maps.

I really enjoyed making my great dining hall in DF but in GoD you just don't have the space to do it, at least in the first few levels.

Not only that, but it is pretty pointless to make a great hall. Enemies and soldiers can teleport so defensive flow doesn't matter. No one has to haul goods so there is very little to consider during construction.

Basically your best bet in GoD is just to strip mine every other Z-Level.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 26, 2012, 12:03:52 pm »

It is nice to see the devs being so active on the steam forums and commenting on peoples suggestions though, gives me some hope this game will be salvaged :)
Not sure when it happened but I currently have "wooden blocks" in game which you can place wall and floor decorations on.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 26, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »

Man... What's another game like dungeon keeper?  This isn't cutting it, sadly.  Maybe if it's patched a bit.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 26, 2012, 01:33:37 pm »

Not sure when it happened but I currently have "wooden blocks" in game which you can place wall and floor decorations on.

Yup, there was a large update today that added blocks to replace those "accidents" and appears to have also addressed some of the AI behaviors although I don't see a mention of that.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nomet

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...
    • View Profile
    • Dwarfs!?
« Reply #341 on: October 26, 2012, 05:16:49 pm »

We work hard on improving the parts people have been complaining about : )
I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 26, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »

I will certainly throw money at deserving GoD dlc. The level of support they are offering for a budget title is encouraging.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 26, 2012, 05:58:46 pm »

We work hard on improving the parts people have been complaining about : )

That's awesome.  Thanks guys.

One thing that would be nice is a way to specify melee or ranged dwarves at a flag.  That way I can have snipers on a balcony, hehehe.

Another thing is monster spawners... In the campaign it would have been cool to have monsters attack you constantly.  I miss that from Dungeon Keepers.

There are a few other things.

Sorry if I seem down about the game, its fun, but it's just missing a few things.  The core is all there though.  If it's patched up it would be awesome.

Definetly +1 to you guys for a super quick patch with a new feature (Wooden Blocks).  Looking forward to more development (And DLC's)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 26, 2012, 06:00:45 pm »

No Win XP support? No way.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26