Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 57034 times)

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #300 on: October 23, 2012, 12:29:48 pm »

So - I am stuck on the preload. :) Reminds me of the Legend of Grimlock release...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 23, 2012, 12:33:24 pm »

Can't wait to hear peoples first impressions.  I'm tempted to pick this up after I finish Alan Wake, but if people don't like it I might wait for a sale and play one of the other games in my queue.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 23, 2012, 12:57:01 pm »

Can't wait to hear peoples first impressions.  I'm tempted to pick this up after I finish Alan Wake, but if people don't like it I might wait for a sale and play one of the other games in my queue.

Likewise, but have added it to my Steam wishlist and will be keeping an eye on this thread and the Steam forums to see people's thoughts.  Really hoping they've done a good job on this.  :)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 23, 2012, 01:02:28 pm »

Installing right now.
I wonder if it will flip or flop. (whatever that means.)

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 23, 2012, 01:06:15 pm »

How do I activate the game on steam?

Not letting me.

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 23, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »

Downloading right now - it's a 1.4 GB download. :3 Be sure to restart steam to get this unlocked!

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 23, 2012, 01:37:42 pm »

Ah drat, it's Vista/Win 7 only.  Guess I'll be waiting until my next upgrade to get it, after all!

Also, Steam forums make me weep.  Only slightly less than the average Youtube comment.  ::)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 23, 2012, 02:03:13 pm »

Right on,  let us know what you think for those of us not at home yet :(

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 23, 2012, 02:17:14 pm »

It is what most of us expected. It's fun if not simple and gives the occasional wink to other games while not overdoing it. It wrestles with the Z-level problems like all games in this genre but other than that my play has been flawless. It's like they really did serve up another game in the magicka style and I fully expect to be drowned in reasonably priced expansions/dlc with decent content for the next 18 months. I say that as a mostly positive statement. There is probably 40-60 hours of playability in this already at $9
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 23, 2012, 03:28:20 pm »

So far the game is good, haven't been playing more than to second campaign map.
(Things go slowly because I waste resources on "pointless" things. :p )
However it does live up to my expectations.
The Ale DLC (Ale tree) is merely a plant which gives happiness instead of food. Go figure.
Dwarves seen to be able to drink from a mug when idle.

Any how, it should as mentioned before, be trated as a game of its own.
Shouldn't be comparing it to other games.

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 23, 2012, 05:31:12 pm »

Hey guys!

Brief overview/first look after first 2 missions: artstyle is cute but the graphics could've been bit better (no shadows?!) but this shouldn't really bother DF fans much. Overall the interface is a bit clunky to navigate. Every buy option is divided into different categories. What I noticed: there is a category called "tables" in which you find all the tables except the "inventors table" which is located in the "jobs" category... hm. Bit weird.

There certainly are problems with the Z-levels aswell. You can use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out but this doesn't change the Z-level. You have to do so by pressing the "R" and "F" keys. Mining out can really become a chore; you first have to get to the correct Z-level before designating the tiles which are going to be mined out... and there are a lot of levels... can't really describe this. It is just hard to get to the correct level because you have to constantly keep your mouse hovering over the place you want to mine until you get to the correct layer... XD

AI drove me a bit insane... my scientist dwarf refused to get himself dinner; although the dining table was ~ 4 spaces away. I had to place/teleport him there every single time... °_° They seem to be really stubborn aswell! There is a situation where you order your dwarfs to manually activate a lever/door/etc... Even if he is 2 spaces away: if he gets hungry/sleepy he refuses to interact. :P

Next complaint would be: the game is sooo slooooow. It really takes forever to get things done. Research for example: slooow as hell. Everyone seems to move in slo-mo too. ;)

I know, I know, I am probably criticising too much, but that are just my first impressions.
Decorating and building things is fun though! Was a little disappointed when I reached the third level because when you start the mission most of the "rooms" are already dug out and decorated too! Very linear. I think I am going to give the sandbox mode a try; I think it is a lot more fun to design the layout on your own.

Big minus (or for some not) I noticed right away when looking at the start menu: there is a big fat "store" icon; so be prepared for a lot of dlc content money milking. ;)

That's it I think... overall it just feels a bit bland and not as polished. Defenitely no Dwarf Fortress... ;) Also not as good as good old Dungeon Keeper. It is fun to design and decorate though... Hopefully this gets better, was expecting a bit more.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2012, 05:33:39 pm »

Also: Hard game is hard.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 24, 2012, 02:56:11 pm »

wait, this is made by the guys that brought out magicka? damn, how could i doubt this game.

Of course it's no rival to dwarf fortress. honestly, any company remaking dwarf fortress would probably take longer and still make losses on it. Complexity's a bitch for the big market :)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 24, 2012, 02:58:02 pm »

*sigh*

I suppose this game is worth my time...

Off to spend more money on steam.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 24, 2012, 03:50:27 pm »

I won't lie: this game is...bad.
Do not buy now, wait for updates.

I'm waiting for ages to get things done. I have to teleport my dwarves to the right places, because they don't want to path to them (and yes, the paths were clear, I checked several times). Right now, for me, the game is just a succession of these steps:
1. Teleport miners to dig.
2. Teleport fighters to kill the monsters.
3. Rinse and repeat.

My guard dwarves were not even capable of stopping the only goblin who ran into my base and wrecked havoc. They just stood there, watching the goblin running past them. o_O

DF, Towns and Gnomoria are far better than this game.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26