Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 57114 times)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2012, 12:31:32 pm »

Total anihilation! Oh god they will  never make  a game like that again.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2012, 01:41:56 pm »

Take a look at Supreme Commander. Its a wonderful game, and basically the same game as TA.

Supreme Commander 2 had a bad case of sequelitis. Everything was dumbed down for consoles. :(

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2012, 01:53:52 pm »

I have this crawling sense growing on my spine that this might be just a second Dungeons. here's hoping it wont be.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2012, 02:19:08 pm »

I have this crawling sense growing on my spine that this might be just a second Dungeons. here's hoping it wont be.

I agree, that one was quite a disapointment.
It had a few nice things but many others I didn't like.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2012, 02:21:37 pm »

Spring rts: it's the same, it's better and it is free

http://springrts.com/

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »

Its also somewhat buggy sometimes. Haven't been able to make it work on here, but I've got plenty of stuff as it is to do.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2012, 06:23:31 pm »

That Spring engine game looks like a primitive version of Supreme Commander.  ???

Seriously, give Supreme Commander a try. Its all about glorious overkill. There is never enuff dakka. Close air support with ICBM's is just the tip of the iceberg.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2012, 06:28:54 pm »

What a friend told me once when I was stuck somewhere in Supreme Commander on his computer: 'Build more things! Always be building more things! Why did you stop building things? Build more things!'
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2012, 06:46:21 pm »

Really hoping Dwarves ain't Dungeons. So much missed potential with that game.

I couldn't stand Supreme Commander. Don't take it personally, but I found the idea of just mass producing units and blobbing them across the map to be the most boring thing ever. In execution it wasn't much better.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2012, 06:50:28 pm »

I think dungeons was misguided, it was a cross between appealing to old school D&D players, and newer video gamers, result: a ok but lacking game.

supreme commander is a wonderful example of almost awesome, supreme commander 2 had the good kind of sequelitis, dumbed down, but better in other areas.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2012, 06:56:02 pm »

I was pretty deep into Dungeons in its pre-release phase.

And the issue there was all with the devs. There was a specific type of RTS/Strategy game they like, and they pretty much refused to change their position on it. (And that's not unreasonble, you don't flip the script 1 year into development.)

The real reason it stung is because they knew the fanbase they were tempting, but they simply wouldn't do many of the things our expectations demanded.

Misguided implies they were going the right direction but something led them off track. IMO, they weren't heading the right direction from Day 1, for a game that is immediately getting compared to Dungeon Keeper 2. But all the other things surrounding the game concealed its core short comings until it was almost released. What people wanted was a serious dungeon sim. What they got was a dungeon theme park. It's funny, trying to play Dungeons like Dungeon Keeper 2 is actually one of the most ineffective ways to play the game, according to how it's built. Sad.

I really harped on people to judge the game based on its own merits, and not in comparison to DKII.....but after 16 hours its merits were pretty shallow. Visually and in terms of your imagination, it did alright as a sim. But it lacked any interesting mechanics aside from the heroes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:59:21 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2012, 07:13:58 pm »

it is too bad they didn't go DKII with it, had some real fucking potential, i was unhappy to find it was another easy sim game.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:24 pm »

What a friend told me once when I was stuck somewhere in Supreme Commander on his computer: 'Build more things! Always be building more things! Why did you stop building things? Build more things!'

If you're not blotting out the sun with artillery shells, you're doing it wrong.  :P

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2012, 08:45:02 pm »

I tend to play my dwarven forts almost like Dungeon Keeper. I hugely up the number of hostile civilizations, and end up with a nearly continuous onslaught of invaders.

Then I dismember their corpses, melt down their weapons and armor, and create ART with their bones and metal!  ;D

I decorate everything. Pages of decorations. My goal is to make Planepacked look boring. And do that for every single piece of armor and weapon in the fortress. The armor and weapons have all been elevated to masterwork status as well. Or at least thats the end goal.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2012, 08:39:06 am »

I found an interesting comment on this, elsewhere:
But considering that DF was one of the main influences for Minecraft, and how different MC is from DF, it seems there’s plenty of elbow room in the Inspired By Dwarf Fortress genre.

Now that's a both a compliment to Bay12, and a genre I'll generally be pleased to play. :)

I've not found much info on this game yet, but I'm super glad you included a sandboxy mode, rather than just a campaign. <3

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26