Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 57076 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2012, 01:16:12 pm »

Trailer for the game, which includes a bit of gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyexilq-yCA

Looks to me like Evil Genius or Dungeon Keeper, but there's also multiple Z levels, including even building stuff on the surface.

Also, the old Gnomes game. I like the way it looks, but jee the fake accent is fake :D. Anyway, it looks like a nice indie game that will be worth my attention and money. Also, the dev guys should really implement some stuff from pharaoh (or something in those series for that matter), like trading for certain goods with others, being attacked or attacking off the map. That's not difficult and brings a new dimension.

nomet

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...
    • View Profile
    • Dwarfs!?
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2012, 01:20:39 pm »

At first I thought, "Oh this thread again. A game that's not DF features dwarves, and they dig. Cue the B12 rage and inevitable comparisons." And then I saw this.

hallo all! super fun to see all the feedback. some of you might know me as the creator for dwarf!?. im the game director for a game of dwarves. im writing this from my mobile from the paradox event. there are lots of other info coming about the game both from reporters here and in due time from us at zeal(yes I both work for zeal an power of two). hope to hear some more great feedback as we get closer to realese! take care  :)

Now, I'm not trying to be rude, this is a serious question. Did you get the job working on A Game of Dwarves because of your work on Dwarfs!? Or do you just have a strange fascination with games about Dwarves? Do you have any plans for your next project, and if so, will it involve Dwarves?

hehe, one could think that :P. Its mostly that digging is a super fun concept to play with. Im one of the founders of the company so i wasent really hired. the game is not A dwarf fortress clone but it has some aspekts of it. its more of a bullfrogish experiance. lots of humor and aims to be tight management. and yes i like dwarfs thay are both silly and cool at the same time! we are still in pre alpha so there will happen lots before release. i want to see it more like taking insperation from a game is a way of honoring the greatness of that game. hopefully we can manage to revive the managment genre who knows :). for now it just fun to hear what you guys think. :)
I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:42 pm »

Trailer for the game, which includes a bit of gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyexilq-yCA

Looks to me like Evil Genius or Dungeon Keeper, but there's also multiple Z levels, including even building stuff on the surface.

Also, the old Gnomes game. I like the way it looks, but jee the fake accent is fake :D.

I think the narrator uses the fake accent to camouflage his real, swedish accent.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2012, 01:31:13 pm »

hopefully we can manage to revive the managment genre who knows :).

I hope you do!  :)  Between this and Prison Architect I'm thinking 2012 is going to be a good year for gaming!

...This is coming out in 2012, right?   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2012, 01:38:21 pm »

If this game was identical to Evil Genius in every way, except dorfs instead of Austin Powers and Dr Evil, I'd be all over it.  :D

One of the things that was so great about Evil Genius is the complexity of the traps you could rig up. The traps were made out of many simple pieces that could be linked together in any way you wanted them to. The traps rivaled the complexity of the traps that could be made in DF.

The only downsides with Evil Genius were:

1) No random maps and no continuous game mode.
2) Only 1z level, the world was entirely flat.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2012, 01:42:02 pm »

Continuous game mode would be quite awesome.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2012, 02:31:21 pm »

Yes, not having a big, fat sandbox mode to play with would be a real downer for a game like this.

Oh and if this ends up being like dungeons ill learn swedish just so I can curse you
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

nomet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarfs!?
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2012, 03:42:26 pm »

Yes, not having a big, fat sandbox mode to play with would be a real downer for a game like this.

Oh and if this ends up being like dungeons ill learn swedish just so I can curse you

Well I haven't played dungeons, but I also hope we are not like it if it is bad game :P.

nomet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarfs!?
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2012, 03:48:18 pm »

I hope you do!  :)  Between this and Prison Architect I'm thinking 2012 is going to be a good year for gaming!

Yes Q3 is the plan :)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2012, 03:55:28 pm »

Well I haven't played dungeons, but I also hope we are not like it if it is bad game :P.
Its just...completely unlike anything I would call fun. It goes against every bone in my body to give money to adventurers. You are supposed to kill them in increasingly elaborate ways, not feed them fat cause happy souls are better. Its like a farming sim, cept the crops fight against you when you try to harvest them.

Anyway, gonna keep my eye on this. Seems like its gonna be a fun game. Not enough games that let you freely dig around. Dwarves are always a plus too.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2012, 03:59:27 pm »

It was pitched as being alot like Dungeon Keeper, but played more like theme park,  you played as an evil overlord who had to make heros happy (!?) while they wandered your dungeon so you could get more soul energy when you killed them.  Frankly it wasnt a terrible game in its own sense, the bigger problem was what it wasnt, rather than what it was.

What it looks like you have here (different rooms, digging about for loots/resources, semi independent AI style management) seems great, though I could be projecting what I want onto what I see.    TIME WILL TELL BAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2012, 04:21:58 pm »

Dungeons was...meh.

Very shallow gameplay. It had a lot of potential, but then just sort of fell flat, as while you could make a pretty dungeon there wasn't much you could do. Got boring fast. :(

Looked pretty, sure, and I liked the multiple types of rooms, but the rooms just weren't used for anything. Your creatures had no needs. They just stood around waiting for adventurers to attack them.

I really like Evil Genius, where your minions had needs that would have to be taken care of. If they were tired they'd go to sleep or maybe get some food. If hurt they would head to the infirmary, if they needed a pick-me-up they'd visit the vending machine for caffeine. That sort of needs system much like the Sims, as well as elaborate trap building which allowed many trap components to be combined into room filling death machines, and also fending off a continual flow of invaders would be awesome.

Then throw on a random map generator with some user customizable settings, and that would be pure gold. :D

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:31:08 pm by Hyndis »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2012, 04:48:40 pm »

Dungeons was a game that said it was like Dungeon Keeper, but was not. It was Hero Theme Park.
You don't need to make the heroes happy in your lair/dungeon/fortress, they who come into your realm against you they should be either defeated, shooed away, or converted to your side, not treated like a customer.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2012, 05:01:10 pm »

Yes Q3 is the plan :)
Sweet we still be alive to try the game by then.

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2012, 05:02:14 pm »

You don't need to make the heroes happy in your lair/dungeon/fortress, they who come into your realm against you they should be either defeated, shooed away, or converted to your side, not treated like a customer.

Or captured, stripped, brutally tortured, made to fight beasts for our amusement before being slowly beaten to death by a fledgeling military armed with sticks so their bones can be turned into ammo, skins turned into seedbags, fats melted down for soap and skulls turned into amusing geegaws to be hawked to tourists in exchange for booze.

THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26