Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 57038 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2012, 03:28:25 am »

Can we please talk about the actual topic instead of df?

Also I'm interested in how they're going to make 2 things occupy the same tile.
You never really think about how 90 dragons manage to fit into one spot.

Probably the same way they solved it in Dungeon Keeper 2.
Let me remind you that creatures in DK1 were flat sprites that could walk over each other and the best tactic back in the day was to drop all of them in one spot where the heroes/enemy keepers breached your dungeon.

In DK2 on the other hand monsters started using some space and became somewhat more ineligent (watching a bunch of goblins taking on a Knight was a thing of beuty),

Also the splash art looks more like a trollface.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2012, 11:36:12 pm »

Yeah, it kind of does actually. I'm gonna second the motion to change the splash art to something less comical and more dwarfy.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2012, 02:45:56 am »

I'm still wondering how this is going to be different from DF, and how this will affect it.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2012, 02:54:04 am »

I'm still wondering how this is going to be different from DF, and how this will affect it.
This game has light sources. It's already different.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2012, 05:24:33 am »

let just hope it does not become more like a town defense game like dungeons *sighs* really had my hope up for that one...

also as a side not how is DF the bastard child ?, i prefer to think of it more of the drunken uncle who disturbs and warps all the children. it could not be the farther of games that's held by dungeon keeper but DF certainly is more than that in my opinion :P 
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2012, 12:55:33 pm »

I'm super-excited for this!
Done right it could rock. :D

I'm always on the lookout for modern games like DF and DK (which I consider a genre, that unfortunately doesn't have a name, resulting in clone accusations. Maybe Dungeon Management Game?) but there aren't many. Evil Genius was pretty much the only one. ("Towns" is another one but it's 2D and at an early stage of development)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2012, 02:44:18 pm »

This game doesn't need to be as nearly as complex simulation that DF is, the main problem with DF is that once you find a way to deal with goblin invasions, there's really nothing more you could do. I wish that there was something more to it, i.e. requests from the mountainhomes, more complex diplomatic problems with humans and elves (that can't be solved by merely thrusting a spear through their heads), a trade system that isn't based on crafts, unique resources (the mountainhomes find your fortress important for them and sends you requests of those resources). What I basically mean is that DF is so complex, that your fort is only a piece of sand in the desert and you're not really important, that it becomes a simulation of a fantasy real life where nothing thrilling happens for months.

A Game of Dwarves could be complex enough to be interesting, but not so much to get boring. I kinda hope that it would include some of the Ceasar (the city building series) features, such as trading with other dwarves and whatnot, while not getting too complex about it. Also problems that could arise with different maps, so that each new game would pose a new problem, not the same goblin invasion/repeat X times, or a few zombie beastmen on the loose, but something interesting, maybe a little scripted, but I.E. A giant whatever-earth-sand-worm is attacking your outpost at random and you have to figure out how to find his lair, once you've taken him out, a new problem - random cave-ins, a little while after you find out that a group of other dwarves are challenging you for this area, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, I hope the game turns out good.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:44 pm »

Just from the description, it looks to me like the challenge and danger in Game of Dwarves is meant to come from different sources and degrees of HFS, which seems like a pretty good game model to me.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2012, 11:26:08 pm »

This game doesn't need to be as nearly as complex simulation that DF is, the main problem with DF is that once you find a way to deal with goblin invasions, there's really nothing more you could do. I wish that there was something more to it, i.e. requests from the mountainhomes, more complex diplomatic problems with humans and elves (that can't be solved by merely thrusting a spear through their heads), a trade system that isn't based on crafts, unique resources (the mountainhomes find your fortress important for them and sends you requests of those resources). What I basically mean is that DF is so complex, that your fort is only a piece of sand in the desert and you're not really important, that it becomes a simulation of a fantasy real life where nothing thrilling happens for months.

A Game of Dwarves could be complex enough to be interesting, but not so much to get boring. I kinda hope that it would include some of the Ceasar (the city building series) features, such as trading with other dwarves and whatnot, while not getting too complex about it. Also problems that could arise with different maps, so that each new game would pose a new problem, not the same goblin invasion/repeat X times, or a few zombie beastmen on the loose, but something interesting, maybe a little scripted, but I.E. A giant whatever-earth-sand-worm is attacking your outpost at random and you have to figure out how to find his lair, once you've taken him out, a new problem - random cave-ins, a little while after you find out that a group of other dwarves are challenging you for this area, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, I hope the game turns out good.

you just made me wish that there was a DF mod for Tropico 4. Now that I think about it, the citizens have a lot of personal motivations and desires already in that game. If only it had mod tools.......
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2012, 12:49:02 am »

At first glance, I went "THEY ARE COPYING DF!!! RAWRRRRR"

But then I just thought about it for awhile and realized there is a market out there for this type of game, there is demand for this stuff, but the supply might not be as high as it should be so it is good that they are making this game. Right now I imagine it as a more accessible DF in a way, a game that people who don't have the time to learn the quirks of DF can enjoy. I mean, that is not to say it is a copy of DF but made for a larger audience, just that I think it will do well where DF has stuggled, as DF tend (in my opinion) to take more dedicated players while I feel this game will take more of the average players who are not exactly extremely familiar with old-school anything. But of course this is all coming from a hole in my buttocks because I know almost nothing about this game save the trailer.

I want this to do well! I am quite certain I will buy it. Hope I can beta test as well... XD

Final thought, perhaps this game will help show some things that Toady perhaps may have overlooked, as in, give him some more ideas/inspiration for improving the game. Even if it is just improving the interface to make it more accessable!

I just think this game will be both good for DF, and DF will be good for this game!... well, I hope. If the game turns out good it will be that case!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2012, 01:52:57 am »

I dare you to find a diplomatic problem that can't be solved by a spear through the head.

What I want out of this game is Pharaoh but with stylin' graphics and dwarves.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2012, 03:13:42 am »

given the reliance of single unit doing their stuff, probably the closest game would be Children of the nile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_nile

too bad that concept was never brought further.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2012, 05:53:38 am »

At first I thought, "Oh this thread again. A game that's not DF features dwarves, and they dig. Cue the B12 rage and inevitable comparisons." And then I saw this.

hallo all! super fun to see all the feedback. some of you might know me as the creator for dwarf!?. im the game director for a game of dwarves. im writing this from my mobile from the paradox event. there are lots of other info coming about the game both from reporters here and in due time from us at zeal(yes I both work for zeal an power of two). hope to hear some more great feedback as we get closer to realese! take care  :)

Now, I'm not trying to be rude, this is a serious question. Did you get the job working on A Game of Dwarves because of your work on Dwarfs!? Or do you just have a strange fascination with games about Dwarves? Do you have any plans for your next project, and if so, will it involve Dwarves?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2012, 12:29:20 pm »

Trailer for the game, which includes a bit of gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyexilq-yCA

Looks to me like Evil Genius or Dungeon Keeper, but there's also multiple Z levels, including even building stuff on the surface.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2012, 01:09:43 pm »

Quietly getting more and more excited about this the more I see (though if someone did a straight ripoff of DK or evil genius id happily shell out my pennies for it). 

And kinseti do you realise you are questioning someones obsession with dwarves on the dwarf fortress forums?  If there isnt a kid named Urist out there somewhere ill eat my beard.

Mr developer(s) we will happily provide feedback on anything we can get our hands on and while we can be a bit protective (ok, flat out rabid at times, but its the internets) of toady and DF im sure that most people will see that this would take nothing away and if anything just bring new players into DF
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26