Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 57025 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2012, 08:36:51 pm »

This looks like a game I might be interested in.  Especially if it has -socks-.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 09:09:36 pm »

It's called "A Game of Dwarves" but the 2nd to last screenshot has an option called "Make Dwarfs smart". ARGHHH!

I don't care if it is dwarves or dwarfs but at least be consistent with pluralisation.  :P

Anyhow, posting to follow.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2012, 09:10:41 pm »

Firefox continues to insist that the proper word is dwarfs, not dwarves. Clearly Firefox is mistaken :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2012, 09:30:13 pm »

Firefox continues to insist that the proper word is dwarfs, not dwarves. Clearly Firefox is mistaken :P
Firefox doesn't agree with elfs, though. elves and dwarfs.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 09:34:29 pm »

Firefox doesn't agree with elfs, though. elves and dwarfs.
Oh English, why art thou so self-contradicting?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2012, 10:01:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Firefox is an insult to dwarven kind, burn it in the magma! don't, I like Firefox

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2012, 10:34:30 pm »

Dwarfs: (n, pl) The whole of Dwarfkind "Look at what the Dwarfs built"
Dwarves: (n, pl) A reference to a group of specific Dwarfs "The crazy Dwarves who built Boatmurdered"
*Hugs*

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2012, 10:40:56 pm »

Huzzah, the lingual problem is solved.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2012, 10:51:21 pm »

Dwarfs: (n, pl) The whole of Dwarfkind "Look at what the Dwarfs built"
Dwarves: (n, pl) A reference to a group of specific Dwarfs "The crazy Dwarves who built Boatmurdered"
Where'd you get those definitions? Oxford English?

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2012, 02:10:39 am »

Its always nice when games of the genre are made, so i'll certainly keep an eye on it. Good luck and I hope it turns out well for you.

Joutilas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2012, 02:15:31 am »

It is about the time someone took the core concept of DF and you know, made an actual game out of it.

May your game sell buckets, and may every bucket be deduced from Toady's donation income.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2012, 02:29:14 am »

Good god. I like what I see. I loike. If this gets far, I will shove money down Mr. Dev's throat. Any amount. NAME YOUR PRICE
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2012, 03:35:11 am »

Posting because I am interested in seeing how things turn out, and it's great to see the developers show up so promptly to this thread!

Look forward to more info.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2012, 04:01:57 am »

following, I'm always interested on builder/logistic simulators and paradox has a name for not releasing dumb games

still, dwarf fortress is much more than managing. there are all those little things going on, engravings interacting with preferences, family growing on, groups mourning for their friends, all this kind of stuff that require weird design just to make a waterfall at that -30 z level and pumping magma where is most convenient..

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2012, 04:31:49 am »

What I don't get is why Toady doesn't get someone to make some semi-decent 3D graphics and a half-decent GUI for the game. *I* don't mind the game in ASCII and I can play it just fine, but the general public can't. And before you go that I want to dumb down the game and DF is a niche game, DF will always be a niche game due to its complexity. But the complexity should come from the mechanics with are actually providing enjoyment, not from the learning cliff that the graphics and UI currently pose. Instead of the hypothetical 0.000001% playing, graphical improvements might get 0.1% of the people playing, which is a massive improvement.

Last year was in my opinion spent on all kinds of unnecessary candy, that in my opinion did very little to nothing to make the game more appealing or even more fun to play.

I have plenty of friends that play minecraft and other games like that, but refuse to play complex games like DF or Ultima Online because they lack basic 3D graphics, don't have a decent UI and controlling them is highly infuriating. While these people can be pulled over the line with such a little investment of effort.

It just pains me that Minecraft is hugely popular and a Game of Dwarves will likely rake in lots of money too, while DF will always be the bastard child and will never get much attention until the above things improve.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26