Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 57029 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 11:57:05 am »

I'd actually rather they base the game off what they'd like to make, rather than listening to closely to us.  :) 

If it was up to us it would contain every crazy feature we could think of and require a PHD to play.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 12:00:06 pm »

Looking pretty sweet, will definatly be following  :D

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 12:07:57 pm »

I'll try to remember this exists when it eventually comes out. Good luck getting my purchase though if it comes out when Magni Mundi comes out. Or while I'm playing Magni Mundi. Unless I get bored of Magni Mundi.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I kind of have to agree with Jake though. I'm not saying that Toady made dwarves but there have been so many dwarf-themed games involving 'digging deep' and the like that it would be nice to see a game with a similar theme besides 'Dwarves drink a lot and dig holes and hilarious antics happen because of it. Also cats. Alsox2 nobles.'.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 12:25:53 pm »

Posting for teh updates, good luck gentlemen you really caught our eyes, also if you want shoot us a few pms for some "dedicated" beta testers  ;)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 02:00:46 pm »

This is intresting, and, as such, I'll be watching it. As far as I go, I can't get enough games about dwarfs, and I belive this has some promise. I will probably buy this once it's out, but it depends mostly on whatever information the devs release until then.

I also belive that said game will eventually draw more people to DF, which is always nice.

Good to see this forum getting some outside attention.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 02:13:05 pm »

Hmm, looks like it could have some promise. A DF/DK mix with some new additions and whatnot could be pretty fun.

@Thorwaldsson: Since you say it's not too much like either DF or DK, would you mind giving us some idea of what sets it apart from those two games? Anything novel or different that you think people will get excited about?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 02:32:39 pm »

looks cool. it will need great depth to keep it interesting.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 02:35:24 pm »

This is something interesting, I'm going to see how this turns out. If it looks good on release, I'll buy it.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 03:17:35 pm »

I friggin' love the name. Anyone who shares a common interest Arthurian fantasy and Dwarf Fortress is alright in my book.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 03:56:20 pm »

Any predictions concerning the minimal system requirements?

The graphics look "bad" enoug to run on my near aincient rig.

This and the fact they changed DK3 into a Chinese MMO makes me want to hear more about it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 04:01:35 pm »

This game looks cool.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 05:00:17 pm »

Perhaps what I've been waiting for since dungeon keeper. Will be following closely!  :o
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 05:08:42 pm »

This looks awesome and fun.
Of course, not epic, life-changing, inspiring, heroic, god-like, masterwork like Dwarf Fortress.
But it will probably make me smile thinking "I'm playing an Alpha (of an Alpha) Version of DF-3D!"
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 05:15:28 pm »

As I said

The secret of DF isn't Fortress mode or its complexity, but the integration between the world and the player (in the fortress and adventurer mode). Most of the fun in Fortress mode can be emulated very easily discarding most of its complexity and quirks. 

This game WON'T steal DF's thunder. Let's hope it will be a great game inspired by DF that will bring us new gamers.

You did say it, but I disagree and I believe most of the players disagree too. I play DF simply because of the complexity. As a game DF is not actually that good (the interface is extremely bad, it's too easy in general, the lack of an end-game goal bores the player at some point, unoptimised, unintuitive gameplay scares away newcomers); it's the endless possibilities, situations and even personalities that the game's complexity allows that make me adore it. If it weren't for the extremely detailed sub-systems in DF I wouldn't even have started'playing it, and certainly wouldn't have suffered through the interface.

I agree A Game of Dwarves won't steal DF's thunder, though. A Game of Dwarves should be focusing a lot more on the game aspect, rather than the world-building that DF focuses on. And let's face it - DF doesn't really have that big of a thunder anyway.

Also I too would like to hear something about the system requirements, for starters :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 06:06:00 pm »

It's always kind of sad to see game studios rip off DF like this. I know AGOD isn't the first, and it won't be the last.

tbh I won't be playing this game, I already have the original version.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26