Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 57015 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 09:30:52 am »

I was just about to post about this.
Hello, Developer guy! It looks a bit like Castle Story, but more dwarfshaped and less yellow. And the comments section of the Rock-Paper-Shotgun article has a lot of dwarf puns.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:34:38 am by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Thorwaldsson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 09:34:03 am »

There is really no reason to be so condescending.
Seriously though, I'm keen to hear from the visiting designer. I'd like to hear more details. Many, many more details.

And you will! I just got to make sure what I'm allowed to talk about before I start getting myself into trouble, the game have just been announced today, and some of the information are going out to magazines and in interviews, but I'll get back to ya'll when I know. 

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 09:40:25 am »

Well, if the mechanics and other game content parts cannot be talked about at the moment, I'm sure at the very least you'll be able to share the goals of the project and inspirations. Or something anyway.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:23 am »

Hello Bay12!

So were you a DF player who had never joined the forums until you saw a thread about the game you make or do Bay12 push enough traffic at your pages that you wanted to come and look see? :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 10:51:00 am »

Don't take this the wrong way, but would it have really been too much effort to come up with a setting for this game that didn't feature dwarves as the protagonists? I mean, if you want to take some of Toady's ideas and remix them into something different, fine; that's how everyone creates works of art or fiction anyway. But couldn't you have at least shifted the genre to asteroid mining in the year 3000 or post-apocalyptic cyberpunk or something?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 10:56:01 am »

Toady doesn't have a monopoly on dwarves or medieval fantasy. Dwarves existed before Dwarf Fortress.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 10:57:40 am »

OH PLEASE! not this again. There have been many many threads suggesting Toady invented dwarves mining into the earth and making tunnels. This cannot go well if you pursue such lines of thought.

This game and any other game involving dwarves is simply playing out the logical concepts derived from an ancient archetype that is part of many cultures mythology. Dwarves and the concept of digging into the ground is an old, old story.

Can I ask a favor of this forum, please? Lets just be kind and open minded and also grateful that developers are making games we like to play. I know most of us are already doing just this, but if anyone is reading this and thinking about posting some rant about ripping off DF, please just step away from the keyboard and go take a walk, then come back and think about it.
I got nothing

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 10:59:06 am »

Heh, I sense a tinge of hostility coming from a small portion of the community in your direction Mr. Developer, but I for one am not among that portion, so you can just dismiss their cattle prods. They're just jealous. Most of the community is friendlier than that, as you can see.  ;D

Your game is a different game, so I'll judge it on its own merits. After all, I do enjoy the style, and the graphics + promises of easily manageable UI are tempting me to want to buy it on release. Paradox rarely publishes crap games (in my opinion), so just considering who your publisher is, is a plus for me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, a few questions from me:
1) How in depth is the crafting system? Do we get to choose the materials/appearances of weapons/armor etc. or is that something that's more generalized.
2) The graphics, while nice, weren't mind-blowing by any means. Are they going to be improved? And if so, will there be low-graphics options for those of us with ancient, ancient computers (like my old Toshiba) so we can throw money at you buy and play this game?
3) Could you explain the combat system? Is it a simple RTS-esque combat deal, or is it more or less complex than that?
4) What's the extent of construction options available to us as the player? Will we be able to build tall towers as well as build giant hallways sloping down into the earth?
5) How much of it is simply done by us (as seen in the trailer when placing what I guess was tile) and how much do 'builder' dwarves have to do themselves?
6) Will there be food/water/booze management in the forms of farming and/or trading?
7) Will there be any 'outside forces' other than the things living in the deep hinted at so far? (Such as invading goblins, besieging dragons, etc.)

Also, random sidenote: a previous poster's idea about a cyberpunk sim. Without dwarves, mind you. Would be amazing. Just saying. You should make that your next project. :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

nomet

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...
    • View Profile
    • Dwarfs!?
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 11:15:23 am »

hallo all! super fun to see all the feedback. some of you might know me as the creator for dwarf!?. im the game director for a game of dwarves. im writing this from my mobile from the paradox event. there are lots of other info coming about the game both from reporters here and in due time from us at zeal(yes I both work for zeal an power of two). hope to hear some more great feedback as we get closer to realese! take care  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:17:26 am by nomet »
I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 11:16:04 am »

Interesting, was expecting a mod for a Game of Thrones game based off DF, and found a potentially promising Paradox DF. The description in the OP sounds like someone describing DF in a way, too me. Will watch this for developments.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 11:18:36 am »

As I said

The secret of DF isn't Fortress mode or its complexity, but the integration between the world and the player (in the fortress and adventurer mode). Most of the fun in Fortress mode can be emulated very easily discarding most of its complexity and quirks. 

This game WON'T steal DF's thunder. Let's hope it will be a great game inspired by DF that will bring us new gamers.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 11:19:46 am »

Watchin
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:01 am »

Posting just to say: keep up the good work, don't dumb it down (too much) for console (saw that it will be also released on PS3) and good luck bringing another gem into the world :)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 11:25:26 am »

Looks awesome.  Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Edit:  And I got to say, I love the art style you chose.  It looks fantastic.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:49:39 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 11:31:38 am »

this looks great ! high expectations and all ready salivating at the mouth about this :P i know it wont be dwarf fortress but i have wanted something like this along time ! and would be nice to play something else while i wait for df updates ;).

just really hope that the game has a lot of depth to it and really complex remember sometimes micromanagement is a good thing ! and i really hope that instead of the boring HP you do take inspiration from DF in the sense that dwarfs get sick and can lose limbs or break them and stuff like that ! and just keep the game about freedom and !!SCIENCE!!!.

also only a few beta invites ? dude if you want to make alot of money you would let the whole DF community help shape the game, im sure alot of people want a say in it, but one thing it must not be is a df clone and have its own quirkiness and "fun"
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26