Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 56999 times)

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #315 on: October 24, 2012, 04:19:10 pm »

I'm not a big fan of this game either. I found it painfully slow moving and not very fun at all. Le sigh. I had high hopes for this one.

RPS did a review that echoes my feelings exactly.

At least it was only $10.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 24, 2012, 04:44:19 pm »

wierd...i haven't had any of those problems; only problems i've had was one miner loved to sleep on the floor vs walking 20 tiles to the outpost with a bed, maybe its because all the pathfinding which will fail if it cant complete it. this happened when i had fully mined out several layers.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 24, 2012, 04:47:30 pm »

I hate to say it, but I feel mostly the same way. I haven't had any issues with pathing or bugs but there are some specific issues I have with the game. For one, it lacks some seriously important information. Traps take power but you have no indication of how much power is needed and how much is supplied. You don't have a list of dwarves to easily sort through. And the tool tips are so bad! "This object wasn't made by dwarf hands." Fine, but does it DO anything? Create any happiness?

Z-Level issues are just part of playing a game like this and you can't really fault the game for them. That being said, it is difficult to make anything look cool. I wanted to make a big open air area above my throne but to do so I had to clear out a bunch of the walls and didn't have a way to fill them in again. Also when you dig out a block it takes away the ceiling and floor tile as well, meaning if you have some important resources in the ground of your great hall and you dig them out, you end up having to replace the floor with a bridge, you can't even retile the bridge to match the great hall.

It is difficult to see where this game will be fun.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 24, 2012, 05:08:46 pm »

The comments of that RockPaperShotgun article paint a much nicer portray of DF in relation to the DF-likes than this very forum. Interesting.

Not the A Game of Dwarves is in this new genre of games - I always knew it was going for the Dungeon Keeper genre. It is a pity it appears it didn't succeed in emulate the experience that marvelous game offered.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:10:26 pm by thvaz »

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 24, 2012, 05:23:14 pm »

"Bland" is the best one-word description for this game.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 24, 2012, 06:14:05 pm »

The only real problem I have with the game is that the information on items is vague. Then again, with my gaming experience I am used to having to piece things together and take it to the wiki.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 25, 2012, 12:46:47 am »

I just finished the 2nd mission (red crystal), and i wouldn't say that the game is bad, but it feels like there's not all that much to it. Then again, the campaign seems to limit your options, and i haven't reached further than Tier2 of upgrades.

About the objects "not made by dwarf hands", i discovered that they are meant to be sold (with the toolbar order). Some will give money, some will give other resources, and some even give you research points.

The good points :
-Simplified micromanagement. You don't need to haul resources to stockpiles, instead they are added to your stock, and you just need to build storage items like chests to increase your max storage. In the same vein, building doesn't require hauling either. Some simple buildings like ladders, don't require a crafter and can be placed directly, and moving built objects can be done instantly without a crafter. Destroying things is also very easy with the "sell" command. And being able to teleport dwarves around is a really good idea in my book.
-The graphics are ok. Design ok too.
-There's voice acting and story/dialog to follow if you do the campaign. The story doesn't seem very original so far, but it's done with some humor.

Bad points :
-Mining is a bit annoying with the Z-level changes, you have to track your dwarves and build ladders as they mine so that they don't get stuck. So far i wasn't able to rebuild mined walls, the best i could do was building a bridge above a hole to cover it.
-Farming seems heavily dependent on the presence of fertile soil, and depending on how you mine you can shoot yourself in the foot by destroying fertile terrain. Also the fertile patches can be on the wrong level relative to your base, and make it hard to organize farming properly. Maybe tech can make it easier though, i haven't checked. Also, wood is a farm crop, i guess it simplifies things, but at the same time it feels a bit cheap to me.
-Building a nice base seems to be not only useless -your dwarves don't care about things like rooms- , but almost impossible since you can't build walls (at least i didn't manage to). Maybe it's just because i'm early in the campaign, at least i hope so.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2012, 02:25:22 am »

-Mining is a bit annoying with the Z-level changes, you have to track your dwarves and build ladders as they mine so that they don't get stuck. So far i wasn't able to rebuild mined walls, the best i could do was building a bridge above a hole to cover it.
-Building a nice base seems to be not only useless -your dwarves don't care about things like rooms- , but almost impossible since you can't build walls (at least i didn't manage to). Maybe it's just because i'm early in the campaign, at least i hope so.

One of the tier 2 research options allows you to build fortifications, which is basically walls.

But yes, I do agree with teh farming thing. It could have been done better, such as larges spots of it.
Now that I think about it.. did they ever mention modding for this game?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 25, 2012, 04:50:02 am »

I've had no pathing issues at all, the game is pretty bug free.
One really stupid design decisions is to have dwarflings gain xp for free.
That coupled with training being really expensive mean that the best way to learn how to fight is stand around for an hour, as opposed to training.
Derp derp.

And true, wood farms suck, especially when you got a huge forrest on top of the fort.
Guess there will be a lumberjack DLC or something.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2012, 10:36:07 am »

Anybody else have a problem with doors?  I tried to building one, and I could see I could click on it to lock or unlock it, but nobody would go through it in either state.  It may as well have been a wall.

Also, I was happy to see that my dead dwarf's get a tombstone, but I was disappointed I couldn't mouse over it and get a "Here lies Urist, killed by a cave spider" message.

So far I'm happy enough with the game, but it does kind of feel like its missing a lot of flavor and depth.  I'm not very far through the campaign yet though, so maybe that will change.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:03:37 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2012, 05:35:04 pm »

I find it interesting that a lot of the complaints about the game here and in some review sites is the same stuff we deal with in Dwarf Fortress (Which presumably everybody here is a fan of).

I may have to pick this up, ten bucks is a small price to pay to give it a try I think,.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 25, 2012, 06:31:03 pm »

I finished the 3rd mission now, it was really slow at first but then my research picked up and it got really fast.

My main complain now is that i basically had to farm wood to get enough gold for all the stuff i needed to build. Granted, wood can be farmed very quickly, but it was annoying to keep selling thousands of wood all the time. My mining, in comparison, felt almost useless, at least until i got to the lower Z levels and started finding dragon bones and purple crystal. One of the permanent upgrades i look forward to the most is the one that let you start with a lvl 2 pool, since it's the thing i'm always stuck at for ages.

But maybe i'm doing it wrong, maybe i should strip-mine, i dunno.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 25, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »

getting the pool to level 2 is ALWAYS a pain. It doesn't matter what technique you use, unluss you just forsake any expenses while saving the 1k gold.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 25, 2012, 06:57:49 pm »

So I have to ask; does this come off as 'Dwarf Fortress (or Dungeon Keeper) light" or does it hold it's own as a good game?

Also what kind of challenge does it pose? I've heard there aren't any random attacks or anything for example.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 25, 2012, 09:09:22 pm »

It has precisely fuck-all to do with DF. It happens to have dwarves in it, but it's more like Dungeon Keeper meets Evil Genius.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26