Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 57092 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2012, 03:03:30 am »

Sometimes one craves complexity, at other times less so. Will be watching this, for it sounds promising...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2012, 05:59:03 pm »

I have always found it amazing how B12 can carry on 4 separate conversations in the same thread, without anyone caring...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2012, 06:15:27 pm »

The Things threads are the epitome of that. You could go off on 3,4,5 tangents in a day on a good one there, and someone will bring one of the older ones up later anyway. Or combine it with the current one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2012, 06:26:31 pm »

I have always found it amazing how B12 can carry on 4 separate conversations in the same thread, without anyone caring...
Talking about the same game in 3 different threads is more amazing.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2012, 08:08:57 am »

I found it strange when people can't do that.
Sometimes I pick up an argument with a friend that we left undecided some day before and all I get back are just blank stares until I restart it from scratch.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2012, 09:18:38 am »

The thing about dwarf fortress is that it was the only game that truly took the archetypes of dwarves into a game- not that many games cover running a dwarf fortress.  Plenty cover elves and humans.

So as long as this isn't a copy paste of Dwarf Fortress, *upgrade graphics*, I will be happy with it.  I will be happy with ANY addition of to the dwarf player base.  (Most other people are 'elves' and 'human' with their mindsets, most people here are dwarves.  Very few people find the 'management genre' interesting.)  However, if this is just an upgrade to graphics I will lose my interest.

EDIT: However, I think that it should be 'cool' to list your inspirations for a game without the person you were inspired from trying to sue you.  Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:22:44 am by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2012, 10:32:09 am »

thay do have unike names ;)

A few hints from the playerbase of DF.  If you want us, I can make a few suggestions that will probably make everyone happy:

Take THESE:

If you want to get a management genre, and your NOT making the game multi-player [However, you did say "Single player" which implies there will be a randomly generated sandbox (Possibly with created worlds?  However, that would be a steal), or multiplayer] , allow "Succession" style let's plays with ease (By moving saves), along with nicknaming.  If your making it for PS3 (Like it says) make sure this is included, possibly allowing forts to be moved between PC, MAC, Linux, and the consoles.  This also means you can take more of my money.

Make sure there is a sandbox mode.  No one likes to work around a campaign when just building a fortress.

Allow the game to work on Mac and Linux, even if it is a late release.  (AND DID IT SAY PS3?  Huh?  Is that joking?  :))

Have above ground enemies also- Elves and humans depending on how you treat them with caravans.

I noticed you had a limited map size.  Rather than making the map longer and wider, perhaps you could have the map randomly generate down, the seed naturally making things more and more dangerous as you go down, allowing endless depths.  (I'm not sure if this is possible)

Allow water (And lava) to be moved, like in DF.  If a furnace isn't blacksmiths' shop isn't touching lava on it's back like in DF, make the operator go to the surface and cut down a tree, or allow a tree to cut down before hand.

Make stone a resource (Just like metal) to be placed.  Same thing with wood.

Make the game difficult on everything but the easy setting.

Allow ladders to be free, but make them reduce the happiness of those who climb them.  Stairs would not have a negative effect.

Add your own version of HFS

Make the stats of everyone changeable for hilarity by the community.

If DF was an inspiration (Like you said, I think) put that in the credits.

Maybe too close to DF, or too complicated:

Generating Worlds.  This is one of the things that I think is both complicated, takes forever, and should be left out of a more casual game.

A thousand different metals and stones.  It would be nice if there was only "Stone" "Iron" "Gold" "Silver" and maybe some HFS.

Loyalty Cascades

Strange Moods, perhaps magical enchantments instead.

Going after items.  I don't want half my dwarves dying over a few socks.

Allow burial, but don't make ghosts.  Just make everyone sad until they are buried.

Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2012, 01:00:18 pm »

Theres going to be a livestream with game stuff related to this (and three other upcoming Paradox games) in a minute or two. Right now.
http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:02:03 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2012, 01:25:22 pm »

Some confirmed features according to vid, at least 50 z-levels deep, hoping for 100. Eventually you will reach hell. Exposure will result in deaths on surface in harsh environs........
really sounds like a lot of DF features are present.

Back to watching!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2012, 01:31:07 pm »

Onto the next game, AGOD part is done.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 29, 2012, 10:18:32 am »

:o Yogscast did a review of "A Game of Dwarves" - it's similar to Dwarf Fortress. With anything there is give and take, so as Dwarf Fortress is more open ended, and hugely detailed with limited graphics and user interface, "A Game of Dwarves" is excellent graphics, but more constricted and limited detail. It''ll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2012, 10:31:50 am »

Still looks more like Dungeon Keeper than DF to me.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 29, 2012, 11:29:53 am »

Watching the Yogcast trailer, and i LOVE it!

this looks exactly like DF with graphics. and since apparently The Almighty Toad doesn't wonna do that, so i love this!!!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #193 on: April 29, 2012, 11:55:24 am »

Hmm when's this game coming out then?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

nomet

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...
    • View Profile
    • Dwarfs!?
« Reply #194 on: April 29, 2012, 08:41:18 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FnmYsy9q4BY a link to yogcast playing the game. We are aiming for late this year q3/q4 (i'm hoping for q3)
I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26