Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 57041 times)

nomet

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...
    • View Profile
    • Dwarfs!?
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2012, 05:41:23 pm »

You don't need to make the heroes happy in your lair/dungeon/fortress, they who come into your realm against you they should be either defeated, shooed away, or converted to your side, not treated like a customer.

Or captured, stripped, brutally tortured, made to fight beasts for our amusement before being slowly beaten to death by a fledgeling military armed with sticks so their bones can be turned into ammo, skins turned into seedbags, fats melted down for soap and skulls turned into amusing geegaws to be hawked to tourists in exchange for booze.

THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!
hehe,
even if I'm told not to say to much about the game yet, I can at least say I agree with both that those things sound awesome and that I do not think you should make your enemies happy when they invade!
I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2012, 06:22:42 pm »

Will there be options for combat, such as different types of melee weapons, ranged weapons, or possibly even dwarven mages?

If magic exists it would be interesting if there were options for lobbing fireballs at things, or having other dwarves specialize at healers. I'm not saying that magic would be needed in game at all, but I have no idea what kind of game this is gonna be. DF is a very low magic game, with really the only magic existing in game involving undead and other horrible creatures that exist to menace your dorfs, yet DF is still an awesome grimdark game without magic. (Though having Urist McPyro training up to become a legendary fire mage in a fireproof magic target range would be all kinds of !!fun!!... :D )

Will A Game of Dwarves be high fantasy or low fantasy?

I enjoyed mix of different classes in Majesty 2 where each different class brought different abilities to the table, but greatly disliked how the game difficulty ramped up over time, such that it turned into a RUSHZOMG sort of game.

Military minions in Evil Genius did more or less the same thing, just did different amounts of damage. Some variety in dwarves would be fun, and likewise there would need to be some way to be able to keep dwarves on duty to guard the fortress against invasion, rather than hope a soldier wanders by randomly before too many peasants are murdered. Guard posts, barracks rooms where military dwarves hang out, or something like that would be useful.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:31:34 pm by Hyndis »

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2012, 07:36:36 pm »

I can see what Dungeons tried to do; it's not that hard to simply obliterate enemies as they enter like a DF fort atomsmasher bridge, cage traps, obsidian, etc. So they tried to give an excuse to make more elaborate systems; but it just dosn't fit the theme. As said, it's like a farming sim.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2012, 11:42:46 pm »

This looks interesting, I'll keep an eye on it. Two things I'd like to see in this, a sandbox mode that doesn't leave anything out and extensive modability, at the least on the same scale as DF.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:06 pm »

A few questions if you don't mind:

1. Will there be any off-site trading/interaction with other forts, not unlike pharaoh games, or will you keep the fort isolated?

2.The room building will be more like DF's than DK's?

3. Will there be immigrants, or the dwarves will have to do the dirty job themselves?

4. Will the dwarves be able to interact with each  other, not unlike in the Gnomes?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2012, 03:50:15 am »

Itīll be DF without everything that makes DF - DF.

There wonīt be a complex damage system, history/world generation, liquid & social interactions or mechanics and ... i already stopīd caring about it.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2012, 04:00:08 am »

liquid & social interactions or mechanics

Be fair, DF has a total of one, hard-coded, liquid interaction that results in a stone block. (and has zero liquid & social interactions unless you count drowning :))
The mechanics is also quite limited. It's still a wonderful game of course, mind you this forum is self-selecting for people that think that.

Personally I'm looking forward to it. There is a lack of decent games around (and most of those are indie productions)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2012, 05:02:55 am »

Itīll be DF without everything that makes DF - DF.

There wonīt be a complex damage system, history/world generation, liquid & social interactions or mechanics and ... i already stopīd caring about it.

dwarf fortress was awesome when it was 2d, which much abstraction and no world going on. give this game a chance!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2012, 12:24:53 pm »

Looks interesting, at the very least. Posting to watch.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2012, 11:08:03 pm »

Hello nomet. I am happy you are so nice in answering our questions. I wish you good luck. And I have a question. Or comment?

When I watched the trailer I noticed that when it mentioned leveling up your dwarves it just showed the mouse rolling over a dwarf and three  buttons popped up. W, S and M. So. Two questions about that. Do you plan on dwarves getting some form of exp that you then assign to skills, or is it going to be more of a "they get better at what they do" situation? Secondly, are the only forms of leveling up going to be W, S and M? Or will there be more choice on other dwarves or in the actual game?

Thank you for any answers you are able to provide.

Edit: Or am I wrong entirely on the second count and W, S and M stand for categories of skills?

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2012, 11:33:39 pm »

Hello nomet. I am happy you are so nice in answering our questions. I wish you good luck. And I have a question. Or comment?

When I watched the trailer I noticed that when it mentioned leveling up your dwarves it just showed the mouse rolling over a dwarf and three  buttons popped up. W, S and M. So. Two questions about that. Do you plan on dwarves getting some form of exp that you then assign to skills, or is it going to be more of a "they get better at what they do" situation? Secondly, are the only forms of leveling up going to be W, S and M? Or will there be more choice on other dwarves or in the actual game?

Edit: Or am I wrong entirely on the second count and W, S and M stand for categories of skills?

Work
Sleep
Mate

Welcome to reality, be ready for the pain.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2012, 12:17:54 pm »

I'm curious if types of dorfs will be like how Evil Genius handled it.

In EG, you had a minion control panel, where you could set how many minions of X type you wanted.

So if I wanted 5 guards, I'd set it to 5 guards. Construction workers (base minion type) would then train up at my training room for guards until there were 5 guards. If I then wanted mercenaries (upgrade to guards) and ordered 5 mercenaries, my guards would train up to being mercenaries. But, this means that there were now vacancies in the 5 guard jobs, so new construction workers would train up to be guards. A higher ranking minion could always train a lower ranking minion, so while a guard could train a construction worker to be a guard, a guard cannot teach another guard to become a mercenary. A mercenary can train up a construction worker into a guard and also a guard into a mercenary.

This automatic position filling also worked if a minion died. Minions would fill the vacancies automatically (assuming you had the population and training facilities available), meaning that managing even a huge number of minions was very hands-off. You set the orders from the top, made sure you had enough low level minions in your evil lair to work as fodder, and then the details were taken care of automatically.

nomet

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...
    • View Profile
    • Dwarfs!?
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2012, 02:30:19 pm »

This is class choices when the dwarfs levels up : )
I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »

Warrior, Smith and Mage?
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2012, 04:33:17 pm »

Warrior, Smith and Mage?

My guess is Warrior, Scholar, Miner.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26