Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kingdom of Amalur  (Read 3935 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom of Amalur
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 09:44:02 am »

Weird. Maybe it's just if you have a US credit card.

Though it's pretty odd, since, why would you want to limit yourself to anything less than worldwide, unless there are licencing issues? (Or maybe they just resigned themselves to Asia Pirating games anyway.)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 09:53:08 am »

Because they apply the price to the market. In my home country it was cheaper to buy from the US store than the EU store. so its for the profits.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 10:51:42 am »

Tried the demo the other day. It's got a case of console-port-itise, specifically with bad camera controls. Didn't see anything that grabbed my attention aside from that.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 10:52:52 am »

Hmm I'd forgotten about this. I've got the demo downloading and I've heard it's really pretty good, especially the battle system. I'll have to wait until I get home this evening to play it, so we'll see.

Tried the demo the other day. It's got a case of console-port-itise, specifically with bad camera controls.
I had also heard that it feels much better with a controller, so I'll see if that's the case for me too.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 11:04:49 am »

camera console on pc is done with the mouse. problem is the "locking an enemy" because you need to face said enemy, and if you are dodging said enemy's charge, you could end up wasting an attack into the air. or a magic.
while i don't know about a controller, commands are quite intuitive...except the fate rend.
i mean, really. why do i have to keep holding the x? but i suppose those can be changed in the options, so it's more of a matter of swapping what key does what than anything U_U
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 12:18:44 pm »

Out of curiosity, is there much non-combat gameplay in this game, or is it a strict kill everything that isn't you kind of game?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 01:25:47 pm »

Out of curiosity, is there much non-combat gameplay in this game, or is it a strict kill everything that isn't you kind of game?

mmm there is crafting, reagents, and the quests in the beginning area are, (from what i could see) either grab something, craft something, kill something.
they might be more complex, but with 45 minutes of time...
but there are notes scattered around so i suppose there is going to be things like "deliver note to X or to Y" or so on.
kind of like world of warcraft, with a plot, and singleplayer.

and better more fast paced combat.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 12:47:43 pm »

I played the demo last night and really wasn't expecting much...  but I was surprised that I was having fun playing it.  While it's a dumbed down arcadey RPG, it was still pretty fun.  It felt like a mix of darksiders and WoW.

However, with a $60 price tag, I think I'll wait.  And yeah, it does suffer a case of consolitis.  I would prefer playing this on PS3 than the PC.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 03:56:30 pm »

This looks like a very generic Hack and Slash. I'll pass on this unless it has actual depth, which I fail to see..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:36 pm »

Almost a month old thread, but I'd rather bump this with some opinions on the game instead of starting a meaningless new thread.

I've enjoyed this game immensely. It had been a while since I had my questy, slashy, slightly mindless RPG fill, and this did not disappoint. Not saying that those are the only qualities it had, nor are they necessarily bad qualities in this case, but they were definitely there. The quests quickly pile up as you progress and there is no real "thinking" to do, the quest circles appear automatically on your local map. You simply run to them and do what you have to do, and then turn in the quest. There are a few longer quest lines that lead to cool looking loot and little story branches, but none of those seem difficult either. In fact, the entire game seems very.. easy. Too easy? That or the Might ability tree is overpowered.

I played pure might on hard mode for the entire game. It was a little challenging at first, figuring out how to time my attacks in combat with specific weapons. But as the game progressed it just got easier and easier. Could be due to crafted armor being VERY powerful. Once I maxed blacksmithing, the armor that I crafted was always better than anything I could find elsewhere.
 The storyline isn't my favorite part of this game. In my opinion it's just not that interesting. However, the artwork is AMAZING and most of the scenery in the game is incredibly beautiful. Perhaps that made up for the lacking storyline. The voice acting is decent, if you're paying attention to what NPCs are saying then you will notice that they also lack in variety. But that's no big deal.
The enemies you face are a bit limited in variety as well. They all require unique strategies to take down, but once you've mastered them it'll just get a bit tedious. Button mashing won't really work until you've entered "too strong" mode. Unfortunately that time will come if you're playing a warrior, and that is when the game tends to get dull. Oh, I have to go kill this giant monster? I'll just use my (spoiler) and click the left mouse button until it dies.
Combat animations for your hero are particularly awesome. Whether it be might, finesse, or sorcery, you ARE going to look like a badass in battle. The same cannot be said for enemy combat animations. For some reason, all humanoids in the game appear to only use basic maneuvers. Swing a sword, stab a knife, float around casting basic spells, etc.

This is a fairly large game. Looking at the world map it may not appear to be that full of content, but if you're like me you'll be exploring every corner of every region to get as much fun out of the game as possible. I think I've put about 20 or more hours into the game so far and I'm just now working on the end game regions. I recommend this to anybody who likes to occasionally indulge in a slightly "mindless" romp through a beautiful RPG. Having an active imagination is a great plus, this game gives you plenty of room to inject your own dialogue and storyline while you're crossing the vast landscape. A lot of the NPCs can be murdered as well, and if you feel like it, you can slaughter an entire town. Of course they do have the "resurrect special NPC" bullshit programmed in, but it's not too noticeable. You won't be doing much town slaughtering anyway unless you're particularly imaginative.

Okay, so I've listed a lot of negative things. But don't let that turn you away from this gem if you're actually reading any of this blather. There are honestly too many great things to list here. Check the game out for yourself if you ever have the spare cash, you (probably) won't regret it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 11:18:58 pm »

SO like, single player WoW or what?
I got nothing

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 11:39:12 pm »

SO like, single player WoW or what?
This is pretty much it. Except with fancy combat. It's fun though, but like Skyrim... gets to get repetitive. Unlike Skyrim, it doesn't feel as grand or vast (even if that's an illusion) so while it does have snappier voice acting... it seems to lack a certain... erm... "raison d'etre" after awhile.
Pages: 1 [2]