Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No plump helmets!  (Read 3320 times)

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No plump helmets!
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:29:35 pm »

I  somehow dont have plump helmets!?!? During embark I took the original build with no change then when I plowed my first farm I realised I couldnt plant plump helmets. Then I figured out that I could dig large underground cave of fungus and shrooms but there doesn't seem to have any plump helmets in the caverns too ! Sure hope the traders got some. Is it possible my civilisation doesn't have plump helmets?

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No plump helmets!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:56:30 pm »

No it isn't possible, don't worry it's not like metals which are location dependant. When you say you can't see any in the caverns have you tried harvesting the shrubs underground? Because only tree type fungi are named when they're growing.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:03:33 pm »

To plant plump helmets, you need plump helmet spawn, not plump helmets.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:10:50 pm »

With custom-genned worlds with only a single carvern layer, it's not unusual to have worlds devoid of plump helmets. I've never seen this on normal worlds with three caverns though.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:36 pm »

And where would you get plump helmet spawn from?

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:51 pm »

EAT THE HELMETS *drool*
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:11:01 pm »

EAT THE HELMETS *drool*

Or brew them. It should be obvious that plump helmet spawn are the seeds used to grow plump helmets, not plump helmets themselves, especially considering the fact that the default embark setup includes plump helmet spawn.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 01:02:55 am »

EAT THE HELMETS *drool*

Or brew them. It should be obvious that plump helmet spawn are the seeds used to grow plump helmets, not plump helmets themselves, especially considering the fact that the default embark setup includes plump helmet spawn.

Hmm..gentlemen...the problem is that
I  somehow dont have plump helmets!?!? ... there doesn't seem to have any plump helmets in the caverns too ! Sure hope the traders got some. Is it possible my civilisation doesn't have plump helmets?

Did you try a mass plant gathering job in all your caverns?  Each has different trees, stands to reason the plants would be different too.

Actually idea for challenge fort--all herbalism, all the time, in all three caverns.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:04:36 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:43:13 am »

No it isn't possible, don't worry it's not like metals which are location dependant. When you say you can't see any in the caverns have you tried harvesting the shrubs underground? Because only tree type fungi are named when they're growing.

Actually this IS possible, though not terribly common. I've gotten stuck with a civ that had none of the usual underground plants. No seeds at embark, no booze, and none from eh caravans. Had to survive on surface plants until I began to harvest the caverns a bit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:35:25 am »

there have been reports of missing plants before. Good luck to you...

you could try prepare carefully with the same home civ and see if it's true
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 01:49:43 pm »

Does your fort's surface territory have gatherable plants? Anything called "___ berry", "bloated tuber" or "rat weed" is both edible and brewable as I recall, and you can farm them on surface soil during all seasons if you're in the right biome for them to grow at all.

ETA: Also, don't cook your fruits/veggies/mushrooms, cooking destroys the seeds.