Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Apparent) massive work slowdown  (Read 717 times)

GrimmC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(Apparent) massive work slowdown
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:10:57 pm »

I have just acquired a Mayor. The mayor would like a dining room. I would like my masons to construct a marble table for him. My masons would not like to do anything.

Previously, I played around with the forbid options to force them to use marble. I thought this may have messed things up. But my brewers, cooks, and gem cutters also refuse to do anything. (My woodcutters and carpenters are strangely cooperative.) It almost looks like some sort of strike led by a disgruntled mayor.

But then, maybe not. The distribution of jobs makes it seem like they were all of the active job orders last time I saved. Could it be a work order problem?

Now I have no more alcohol and the meat is rotting away. Masons haven't done a damn thing in over three hours and the mayor is still pissed off. I've got miners to bury, and nothing seems to be moving along at all.

What the Hell is happening here?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Apparent) massive work slowdown
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:16:29 pm »

If you forbid a type of stone then all the workshops made of that material would be forbided also.

From the wiki:
Some players prefer to build workshops from blocks instead of rocks to avoid a surprising feature of forbidding. Players often want to control which types of stones their workers use, especially at mason's workshops and mechanic's workshops, to control the color of the resulting furniture. One way to achieve that control is by mass forbidding whole types of rocks from the stocks menu. But if you forbid the stone (or block) that a workshop is made of, then that workshop will no longer function. So a player forbidding stones to produce a particular color of chair or lever is often surprised when other workshops suddenly stop working. Building workshops exclusively from blocks allows the player to mass forbid rocks from the stocks screen without encountering this problem. Building out of blocks also increases the value of the workshop, which increases the wealth of your fortress.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:42:45 pm »

Ok, dwarves search for materials in a spherical manner so a stone 2 z-levels up is grabbed before the one 4 tiles away. Anyway, go build workshop rooms a ways away from your gulag and put a custom stone stockpile holding only the stone you want. Lock the dwarf in, forbid undesireable stones he may feel like using and there ya go.I like 7x7 rooms with 2-4 shops and a door to lock. Have Fun!

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:02:56 pm »

If you forbid a type of stone then all the workshops made of that material would be forbided also.
This is your problem.  That is why you should make all workshops from blocks.

GrimmC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:26:04 pm »

Yep, the problem was with forbidding the stone. My what a useful "feature."

Things went downhill from there, ended up scrapping the whole place once I lost my legendary miner to a farming incident. Oh well.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:55:49 am »

I have to ask... why was a legendary miner near a farm, and what is so dangerous about farming that it killed him?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.