Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Hollywood Must Be Destroyed  (Read 28514 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Hollywood Must Be Destroyed
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2012, 01:16:52 am »

that was 3 posts ago.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 01:20:04 am »

Are you saying this:

Is not a response to this:

?

If so, I am going to say I believe you to be lying to me.

Wow, you two should play nice and stop not insulting each other.

Do you want us to play nice, or to insult each other? Er... I am now unsure. I do not think we can do both.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2012, 01:21:01 am »

The joke was that you are both taking the stance of 'Well I'm clearly not talking to you', thus not insulting each other in a strange and twisted way, but not exactly playing nice.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2012, 01:32:28 am »

Well. I was not talking to him. At all. Where as he actually quoted me.

So.

Yeah.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 01:58:12 am »

Hmmmm, I have gazed upon your problems and found a dwarfy solution.  Most of the problem seems to derive from the fact that a few giant corporations (say sony, disney and the like) are merrily doing everything they can to screw every dollar they can out of every poor bastard from artists, to consumers to people who just want youtube vids with music in the background.  As with DF the problem seems to be nobles.  Now if we were to take a page from DF and solve this problem by filling said nobles rooms (in this case mansions) with mandrills and sealing all the doors the problem could be solved rather quickly.  After the first few have been educated, the rest should fall in line, Sony etal split into hundreds of smaller companies and we start seeing the death of lady gaga and the like that is only big because of the media juggernauts that push em along.

I dont see the death of the entertainment giants we have crawling about the place at the moment as killing music and movies.  If sony etal died tomorrow there isnt suddenly going to be a gaping hole in our auditory worlds, there will just be alot more competition from smaller bands.

Sigh, I just wish people would turn purple when they became useless scum who do nothing but demand outlandish shit for their own ends so I would know whos house to hook the mandril cage up to. 
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2012, 01:59:23 am »

Are you saying this:

Is not a response to this:

?
Yes.
It was a response to the whole thread, your part it is independent of that particular post.
If so, I am going to say I believe you to be lying to me.
you would be mistaken.
Wow, you two should play nice and stop not insulting each other.

Do you want us to play nice, or to insult each other? Er... I am now unsure. I do not think we can do both.
I'm not sure where there was conflict here, mostly just confusion, mostly caused by my brevity.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:07 am »

I really don't care what my enemies have invested into their jobs and I want them to lose it.
Sopa is more against freedom than it is against piracy, and the pirate bay is a legitimate competitor to any music store.

The system of distribution of media is obsolete, and the studios must find new ways to gain money.
There is already a few millionaires who simply used the system cleverly, such as mine-craft creator, or an humorist who promoted his work cleverly.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2012, 08:06:06 pm »

Yeah, you know, because the movie industry's shenanigans don't put other people in other industry's jobs at risk.

The automobile put carraigemakers' job's at risk.

Modern boats put the people who shovel coal into the steamboat furnace's job at risk.

Sometimes to make an omelet you need to crack some eggs, Tilla.

Thank you.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2012, 08:09:15 pm »

People make cars. Car makers do not rely on carriage makers.

People make electric engines. Electric engine makers do not rely on coal shovelers.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2012, 08:17:24 pm »

Surely there are ways to adapt to the new climate though.  Like focusing on things that can't be pirated (cinema, live performances, online content, merchandise, whatever) or giving your users more of a reason to not want to pirate your stuff.  I dunno, I just don't think smashing the threshing machines is gonna work very well for anyone in the long run.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2012, 08:55:35 pm »

They could do a lot of damage. Actually, they could do an unbelievable amount of damage.

But though they are Luddites, still the clothes they wear are sewed with machines and woven with electricity. And they're not going to last.

Buckle up, gentlemen. We may not see the light at the end of the tunnel for years, but we will see it. And that light will applaud us and curse their memories.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2012, 08:56:26 pm »

I can't even tell what side you are on Dhokarena.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2012, 09:06:25 pm »

He's on all sides. Which makes him permanently off-sides.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2012, 11:21:19 pm »

This topic had me soul search a bit and I think I have it. I am definitely not for piracy or supportive of pirates. However, in the past I myself have suckled on the teat of the pirates, mostly for music in the crazy Mountain Dew fueled times of Napster, as I was a poor college student...ah hell, there are a lot of justifications, right or wrong.

However, I like examples and here is one: The United States and Saudi Arabia are "allies". We buy oil from them and leave them alone and they have truly horrific human rights that we have gone to war for less against other countries. They also support terrorism and an anti-western strain of Islam. But again, they are our allies because we have bigger fish to fry in the region and the enemy of our enemy, etc.

SO, in this debate, while I don't condone the actions of the pirates and the potential livelihoods (of regular folks, not execs and movie stars) that they endanger, I feel right now the largest threat to our freedom, democracy, and way of life is the fact that corporations have all tons of money and power and pretty much own our government. SOPA was written by the industry and I think most of these congresspeople supporting it genuinely think they are doing a good thing, they just don't know any better. So right now the enemy of my enemy is my friend and I will support the downfall of SOPA, PIPA, the RIAA, the MPAA, and all their ilk even if that means allowing the pirates to continue pirating because I truly believe they are less of a threat. I understand that the complete destruction of the entertainment industry as it now stands will endanger the jobs of a lot of ordinary, decent folk and certainly don't like that and would feel bad for each and every one of those people but at the same time I can hope that what comes afterwards will be *better* and that even those people will benefit from it.

I am nowhere nearly as naive however to think that I have any clue how that can be accomplished in a way that doesn't turn the monster hunters into even worse monsters themselves. Shit man now that I think about it I have tons of opinions on issues that I don't know how to solve - I don't know if that's right or wrong or somewhere in the middle. I just know that while I understand piracy to be a bad thing I am all retarded for Youtube let's plays, PC game mods, and spoof/satirical takes on established brands and under the wording of the current anti-piracy legislation under consideration those types of things could be considered illegal, when in my opinion they do more to PROMOTE games than harm them, even if they provide game content for "free" in the sense you can witness the game though not physically play it, or taking an IP and modifying it in some way but mostly copying the "guts" of it. I always drew the line at commercialization, that is, you can mod a game or play a scene from a movie on Youtube that you have spoofed/altered if you do so for no commercial gain. But the companies go after those folks regardless.

So yeah, this is a hugely complicated issue with many varying layers of right and wrong but right now I'm against the "industry" because they are overreaching what I would consider to be "fair" methodologies for protecting their commercial investment in these intellectual properties. I believe when they changed from allowing you to "own" a game to these byzantine licenses where they allow you to "borrow" their game (that you paid for in full) with incredible restrictions on where and when and how you can play it until such a time as they rescind that privilege that they lost any moral high ground they may have had in this argument, putting them not beneath the pirates, but in a vaguely defined grey moral equivalency.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2012, 11:22:43 pm »

I dont see the death of the entertainment giants we have crawling about the place at the moment as killing music and movies.  If sony etal died tomorrow there isnt suddenly going to be a gaping hole in our auditory worlds, there will just be alot more competition from smaller bands.

My point exactly.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7