Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Hollywood Must Be Destroyed  (Read 28496 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hollywood Must Be Destroyed
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2012, 06:04:30 pm »

$87 Billion. Up 35% in 10 years.
Everyone spends money somewhere.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2012, 06:11:13 pm »

$87 Billion. Up 35% in 10 years.
Everyone spends money somewhere.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Usually anything that reeks of Tea Party sends me running as far as I can in the other direction but that Cato article is probably the greatest single informed and well documented explanations of the stupidity and hyperbole of the "anti-piracy" crowd as I have ever seen. Thanks for the links!

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2012, 11:46:51 am »

Not until they start dumping large quantities of cash on the right pollies they dont.  I get the feeling that the SOPA thing would be totally dead now if rather than petitions people had passed the hat round then used the cash to buy some lobbying
SOPA is supposedly already dead without this (I know, I know, it can always be resurrected, but your proposition also does not prevent this). And playing game by their rules is incredibly stupid, idiotic and suicidal idea. Waste of money and immoral behaviour (corruption is bad, m'kay?).

And from purely pragmatic viewpoint, any money raised from proverbial hat would be pathetic pittance in comparison to money that media industry lobbyists can have.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2012, 01:22:05 pm »

I think OP has a point here. That SOPA bill is a fucking abomination. It's a direct affront to our freedom and it benefits only the people who have lobbied for it. The American people never asked for it, it erodes the freedom of everyone in the country just to protect the bankroll of a tiny minority it's designed to benefit. It's a completely unreasonable and unjustifible infringement. If would have set a dangerous precendent, even worse then the PATRIOT and NDAA bills, because the SOPA bill shits on absolutely everyone and it's intentions are completely malign and it's implications are disasterous to freedom of speech in this country.

Really, this bill is crossing the line, the organizations and individuals responsible for lobbying for this bill absolutely need to be stopped from giving it a second go. I think there needs to be a lobbying effort to pass a law that would prevent censorship and control of the internet and other forms of media in the first place.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2012, 02:28:05 pm »

SOPA is supposedly already dead without this (I know, I know, it can always be resurrected, but your proposition also does not prevent this).

From what I've heard, we're not out of the woods yet.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2012, 05:42:59 pm »

This is why I used word "supposedly".
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2013, 07:36:38 pm »

I fully agree with this.
However, I am unsure whether 'the democratic process' (competitive lobbying and lawsuits, as well as personal gestures of retracting funding) is quite able to reverse corruption of this magnitude. The tumour is too ingrained in the host.
Such tactics will be effective in slowing its growth, and slowing their response (making new laws) to other attacks, but I fear more is needed to push the RIAA and MPAA back.
It could take the combination of numerous legal (picketing stores that sell their products and publicly support them, etc.) and illegal (jailbreaking devices to run free alternatives, other obviously upstanding acts of 'circumvention', etc.) methods to deprive them of revenue and reflect some of their demonization back upon them; but regardless of the method, some defence against them must be PUBLIC.
The best we can do is make the evening news in a way that forces a positive or at least neutral story. The judges who sign off on **AA-pushed laws lack the attention span or intellect for researching facts further than RIAA.com, but they have shown weakness for soundbites and unexplained quotes of "jobs lost" and "dollars in damage". If we can protest them on these terms, it may shock judges into looking deeper into the economic facts.
Oh, and minimize contact between legal means of resistance and civil disobedience. Remember that under the PATRIOT act, offending the government of the USA (or its masters) means wiretapping of EVERYONE you have communicated with or will communicate with.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2013, 07:49:35 pm »

I love this thread.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2013, 07:56:19 pm »

Hollywood can't fight against the power of necromancy.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:01 pm »

I shall raise my armies of the dead to battle against the bloated hollywood producers. It shall be...

* Fniff sunglasses

A dawn of the dead.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2013, 08:48:47 pm »

All my yes.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]