Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Wiki blackout  (Read 5151 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki blackout
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »

I agree with Quake, the blackout doesn't accomplish enough.  Well it did shortened my Bookmarks in Opera.  I better back that up tomorrow to a jump drive, since I made so many changes to it today.  So far I've remove eight URLs, how about you?   

Violent protest accomplishes something.  Not blackouts.  Bullets work, blackouts don't. 

Internet isn't about HTML code.  Its about data packets, anyway. 

The FCC is too busy approving China parts and equipment to give a shit.  The problem is the US Govt and England needs to get all these war games off the Internet, so there antiterrorist programs can filter threats more accurately.  But they'd never tell us that, since its a tyrannical scheme to begin with, that enslaves more poor and innocent folks, who are just attempting to reduce their stressed life, anyway they can.  Catharsis, through entertainment, ends crimes.  Not censorship.  And certainly not blackouts and letters to crooked officials.

Gamers produce way too much terror false positives on those listening station relays.  Especially the Player versus Player gamers.  That's the real reason SWG went out of business, I believe.  I dunno know, but it sure stands to reason.  You can't have a Spy class or bombs being referred to in mainstream communications anymore.  It triggers too many red flags.  But hell if censorship really mattered, to the important people, then answer this, please.  "Why isn't the FCC stopping advertiser's from putting boner pill commercials on my TV, right there in front of my impressionable daughters, their is a man talking about his own naughty organ.  That lady there is too."  Until they can curb advertising in the States, nothing is going to happen. 

An unenforced law, isn't worth a blackout.

Bullets buys rights in America, the number of letters to a Representatives doesn't.  Wake the hell up, blackout people, or just go out of business already.  Take the profits from todays low bandwidth and go apply at Walmart. Yay, finally some Americans are waking up and realizing for the past 10yrs we have waged a war against a dictionary word.  Terrorism.  That's no moon!  That's a word from Websters.  Americans are coddled dumb asses for the most part.  We buy commercials!

A blackout doesn't do enough, and when saying enough, I'm saying its not close to enough.  And close is only close enough in two things.. Horseshoes and Nukes, and of course Submachine Gun Fights.  Bullets cause change, not votes and certainly not blackouts and easily deleted emails.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:37 pm »

Quote from: Stargrasper
You shouldn't be so violent.  Threatening others because they don't agree with your position is irrational and damaging your credibility.  Again, you said nothing that hadn't already been said.

A cluestick isn't a real object and it's impossible to do violence with a metaphor. It carries as much weight as telling someone you're going to bruise their imagination with a child's sense of wonder.

Quote from: Kuntor
Violent protest accomplishes something.  Not blackouts.  Bullets work, blackouts don't.
*ahem* Wrong, bitch.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2012, 10:59:28 pm »

I agree with Quake, the blackout doesn't accomplish enough.

Largely because of the Internet response to it, at least four co-sponsors of PIPA have withdrawn their support for the bill. How is that "not enough"?

You're wrong. See above. QED.

Bullets buys rights in America, the number of letters to a Representatives doesn't.  Wake the hell up, blackout people, or just go out of business already.  Take the profits from todays low bandwidth and go apply at Walmart. Yay, finally some Americans are waking up and realizing for the past 10yrs we have waged a war against a dictionary word.  Terrorism.  That's no moon!  That's a word from Websters.  Americans are coddled dumb asses for the most part.  We buy commercials!

Why the hell are you even bringing terrorism into this? That's so far removed from what all of this is about that I have no clue why you're bringing it up.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2012, 11:11:02 pm »

Also, Ghills, wikipedia is using force like anyone else would, by creatively using what power they have to project their influence into other fields.  Its pretty basic.  You kill all the farmers if they don't use their ability to create food for you, etc.

Dude/ette, you just failed English.  I'm sorry, but projecting influence != force.  In the technical sense - maybe. Energy is exerted in a specific direction, in the hope that work will be done.  There is an essential element of control and violence that is absolutely not present.  You specifically call out the control and violence in your completely unrelated example, but somehow fail to recognize it's total absence in Wikipedia's blackout.

Wikipedia provides a service.  It has the sole and inalienable right to withdraw that service at it's discretion.  To force the Wikipedia team to provide a service against their wishes is (since we're throwing around hyperbole anyway)...slavery.  You don't think so?  Try looking up the definition. 

And then you go and try to claim that halting a non-essential service for rich elites is somehow the same thing as killing people. You just also failed basic logic and proportionality.  Just to reiterate what others have said:  you did, do and probably will continue to sound like an entitled child throwing a temper tantrum because you can't use a nice toy. 

Oh, and you also try to threaten people with trolling (the old "I could if I wanted too, but I don't").  Or is that trying to claim the moral high ground of non-trolling?  Hard to tell, not really important. To be fair, you haven't been trolling, so kudos for basic manners.  Protip: Not trolling is expected behavior. It's great that you understand that, but most people don't consider it any kind of victory.

TL;DR  PERSPECTIVE, U NO HAS IT.  Also, a better grasp of appropriate/contextual language would be probably be helpful.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2012, 11:11:37 pm »

Hey aside from the advocation of violence Knutor is spewing, which is intolerable, I think this thread or discussion should get moved to the general discussion forums below, or one of the SOPA threads there.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2012, 11:17:32 pm »

Oh, four.. A whole four.  HA!  At least thats an even number.  And how many total votes were they, was that even a full percentage of it?

Yes, terrorism has to do with the blackout.  Its American stupidity at its best.  Only the dumb are fearful.  FEAR.  False Education Appearing Real.  Bullets work best.  A whole lot better than blackouts and what's that other useless tool, the screaming blow hearts and hippy tree huggers use?  Boycotts?  Yeah, boycotts.  Those things don't work at all.  Four whole votes, you say.  Yay.  A whole lot more than four people edited away from their sites permanently, I'll betcha.  They may not say it, like me, but they did it.  Sniff some packets, my friend and see for yourself. 

It'll just get voted on another day.  Lobbyists have lots of money to bankroll forms fillers.  People move on and adapt.  Today's blackout may not have been a total a waste of time and resources.  But four votes, HA HA!  If it were the crucial one vote, I might say yeah, it was worth it.  But four, bleh, that's a miserable statistic.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2012, 11:20:40 pm »

Are...are you calling us educated stupid?  Are...are you time cube???

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2012, 11:24:25 pm »

Hey aside from the advocation of violence Knutor is spewing, which is intolerable, I think this thread or discussion should get moved to the general discussion forums below, or one of the SOPA threads there.

I have never been called an advocate of anything.  This feels kinda nice.  History shows bullets work, very well.  Forgot your World and American history, Capt?  We didn't get to 2012, without bloodshed.  How many blackouts got anything done, you can count them on your toes if you like.

Sincerely,
Knutor

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2012, 11:26:15 pm »

Quote from: kuntor
Oh, four.. A whole four.  HA!  At least thats an even number.
Actually that link was old;

Here is the full list of new opponents. An * indicates a former sponsor.

Roy Blunt (R-MO) *
John Boozman (R-AR) *
Scott Brown (R-MA)
Ben Cardin (D-MD) *
John Cornyn (R-TX)
Jim DeMint (R-SC)
Orrin Hatch (R-UT) *
James Inhofe (R-OK)
Mark Kirk (R-IL)
Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Marco Rubio (R-FL) *
Olympia Snowe (R-ME)
David Vitter (R-LA)
Tom Coburn (R-OK)
Pat Toomey (R-PA)
Mike Johanns (R-NE)
Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)

Oh 'sup son!  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:29:49 pm by Crioca »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2012, 11:26:47 pm »

Oh, four.. A whole four.  HA!  At least thats an even number.  And how many total votes were they, was that even a full percentage of it?

You're mistaking congressional/senatorial votes with those who are sponsoring the bill to begin with. From what I can tell, the bill had 11 co-sponsors. Four of those, at the very least, are down. That's very significant.

Yes, terrorism has to do with the blackout.  Its American stupidity at its best.  Only the dumb are fearful.  FEAR.  False Education Appearing Real.  Bullets work best.  A whole lot better than blackouts and what's that other useless tool, the screaming blow hearts and hippy tree huggers use?  Boycotts?  Yeah, boycotts.  Those things don't work at all.  Four whole votes, you say.  Yay.  A whole lot more than four people edited away from their sites permanently, I'll betcha.  They may not say it, like me, but they did it.  Sniff some packets, my friend and see for yourself.

Wait, so let me get this straight. The connection between terrorism and SOPA is that you're advocating terrorism to fight it?

Are...are you calling us educated stupid?  Are...are you time cube???

Don't you dare mock nature's harmonious simultaneous four-day terrorism cube.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2012, 11:31:57 pm »

The amount of misconceptions kuntor is having corrected must feel like he's being skullfucked by a data-cock.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:29 pm »

I would probably be able to correct more if I knew what in god's name he's trying to get at. If he made a few simple, declarative statements delineating the points he's making and the connections between them, that would be nice.

Sincerely,
Knutor

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2012, 11:44:02 pm »

Wait, so let me get this straight. The connection between terrorism and SOPA is that you're advocating terrorism to fight it?

Many people have written many nice things in this thread, it'd be foolish of me to continue stating what obviously works, and has been proven without a shadow of a doubt to work in the past, so I will stop.

Just know..  In my little world, a red light goes up in an intersection when someone dies at.  That's the only motivating factor that causes my representative to act.  No other factor is considered, regardless of how many people cry for one.  Until a travesty occurs, a lawyer politician won't act.  No matter how many times we write in to request something, nothing happens.  Avoid that intersection all I want.  I still won't get a red light there. 

Only a dead person, will cause change.  Only violence will cause it.  I can no more advocate violence than you can.  There is no other tool, that works.  Label me anything you want, but that is the ONLY tool for change that works for the down trodden.  Talk doesn't accomplish anything.  Fear doesn't accomplish it.  And half-assed violence only results in electrocution by tazer.

I advocate peace, but if in advocating it, I have to punch out a few dumbies, then I advocate flipfloping to do just that.  Its all just words, change isn't words, its actions.

Sincerely,
Knutor

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2012, 11:48:51 pm »

Quote from: kuntor
Only a dead person, will cause change.  Only violence will cause it.
I don't know if you're slow, or just immature, but you're wrong. You're objectively wrong evidenced by a historical precedent of successful non-violent movements.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2012, 11:49:02 pm »

Hey you know violence has caused tons of deplorable things in the past too, right?  It's not really a panacea.

If you're seriously in the frame of mind that you truly believe violence and literal people dying are the only things that motivate anyone to change legislature, you're both provably wrong, in possession of comically faulty views, and not worth arguing with when it comes to actual methods of activism.

Sincerely,
Knutor

Edit:  Hey Crioca you really don't need to edit knutor's name like that, it's both childish and pretty dumb.  It detracts from actual discourse!  Just a tip.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6